U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2014, 08:13 PM
 
7,987 posts, read 11,221,813 times
Reputation: 2708

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
The difference is thugs versus organized card carrying thugs with a history that spans over several decades that included many influential people, politicians and business leaders....
Gotcha. So like the New Black Panthers that stood outside voting locations with baseball bats?

 
Old 07-17-2014, 08:17 PM
 
1,381 posts, read 1,266,837 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Don't be so quick to judge. Of all the years I lived in SC, as a gay man, never once did I feel uncomfortable in Greenville, but I was yelled at and called F*G in Columbia. SC has plenty of hate to go around, as evidence by Maurice's Rebel Flag Racist Bar-b-q from the Midlands.
And now Maurice is dead and all the flags have come down. It's a generally used term now just like the n word and the older crowd just hold to original meaning. In the UK f*g is a word used for cigs. Just like when people talk about curse words I always what makes them so bad to say? People just put meaning to a word and it catches on.

And what shooting are you talking about. The most recent one was a non-targeted shooting.
 
Old 07-17-2014, 08:20 PM
 
7,987 posts, read 11,221,813 times
Reputation: 2708
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
And now Maurice is dead and all the flags have come down. It's a generally used term now just like the n word and the older crowd just hold to original meaning. In the UK f*g is a word used for cigs. Just like when people talk about curse words I always what makes them so bad to say? People just put meaning to a word and it catches on.

And what shooting are you talking about. The most recent one was a non-targeted shooting.
Sounds like you are saying the n word for blacks is OK or the f word for gays is OK. WOW. Your type of bigoted attitude is what I found in much of SC, with a good deal in Columbia.
 
Old 07-17-2014, 08:30 PM
 
1,381 posts, read 1,266,837 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Sounds like you are saying the n word for blacks is OK or the f word for gays is OK. WOW. Your type of bigoted attitude is what I found in much of SC, with a good deal in Columbia.
I'm a person who usually doesn't let words hurt me and finds no meaning in words ment to hurt people but I know others do. Especially when I know I am both of those things. And many people in high school just use words and its common use.
 
Old 07-17-2014, 09:24 PM
 
7,987 posts, read 11,221,813 times
Reputation: 2708
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
I'm a person who usually doesn't let words hurt me and finds no meaning in words ment to hurt people but I know others do. Especially when I know I am both of those things. And many people in high school just use words and its common use.
You are a black gay man? Cheers!
I understand your point and you can insulate yourself from words, BUT it is the intent. Hate comes from all angles.....and toward everyone. My partner is Jewish....you would not believe some of the slurs slung against him in his past.
The sad thing, instead of us becoming more one people, I see the world as becoming more fragmented and hate filled. It isn't just white and black anymore, it is Hispanic, Asian, Muslim, indian, Jew, Gay, Straight, Trangender, Men, Women, Young, Old......seems we have fractured as society and everyone hates everyone.

The intent of this thread was started to bash Upstate, and while I do not agree with the KKK, they are everywhere and that same hate is everywhere, from every race, religion, etc..throughout the state, the nation, the world.
 
Old 07-17-2014, 09:37 PM
 
1,381 posts, read 1,266,837 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
You are a black gay man? Cheers!
I understand your point and you can insulate yourself from words, BUT it is the intent. Hate comes from all angles.....and toward everyone. My partner is Jewish....you would not believe some of the slurs slung against him in his past.
The sad thing, instead of us becoming more one people, I see the world as becoming more fragmented and hate filled. It isn't just white and black anymore, it is Hispanic, Asian, Muslim, indian, Jew, Gay, Straight, Trangender, Men, Women, Young, Old......seems we have fractured as society and everyone hates everyone.

The intent of this thread was started to bash Upstate, and while I do not agree with the KKK, they are everywhere and that same hate is everywhere, from every race, religion, etc..throughout the state, the nation, the world.
Mainly black but that wouldn't change anything back then. I just wish people would ignore the intent and make it something to strengthen them. I'd believe it, high school has no limits and everything is used and we take as a laugh.

Like I said I have nothing against religions but a lot of the hate is fueled by it other stuff is just peoples ignorance.
 
Old 07-17-2014, 09:57 PM
 
2,072 posts, read 2,150,289 times
Reputation: 1978
They are not the clan of old, they are simply exercising their freedom of speech and have a right to do so. There rally I believe I read somewhere has been fueled by the recent illegal immigration chaos in Texas and AZ lately.
 
Old 07-18-2014, 05:11 AM
 
4,539 posts, read 6,393,473 times
Reputation: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Tell that to the hate groups on that list.
I don't hear them. I hear you. They aren't on here and I never see them. I see you hating. It's nothing like you want to believe. I do business here daily. No problem.
 
Old 07-18-2014, 07:48 AM
 
6,180 posts, read 9,405,231 times
Reputation: 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Gotcha. So like the New Black Panthers that stood outside voting locations with baseball bats?

How much political clout do the 'new Black Panthers' have exactly.. Do they have chapters in nearly all of the 50 states? And if they are 'new' they dont have nearly 100 years of experience as an organization with violence and voter intimidation and fraud as the aforementioned group. I would put the new black panthers in the "thug" category for what you described above.. but I doubt they actually acted on any of their threats like the KKK has. Hate is Hate period.. but comparing thugs bikers to the KKK as if they are equals seems like stretch...Im not trying to single Greenville or any other place in SC out as a bastion of racism which it clearly is not. Certainly every community has there fair share of racists of all colors and creeds... I recall a play on the South Carolina tourism slogan.. Smiling Faces Beautiful Places... Smiling Faces Plentiful Racist......

Incidentally, I am curious to know what the purpose was for them to stand around the polls with baseball bats and what precincts were they standing in? If they were standing around in a predominately white precincts to try and intimidate white voters from voting for whatever candidate they were against.. then "yikes"..though I seriously doubt that was the case. If they were standing around in predominately African American precincts....? What for?.. To intimidate other blacks into voting for... the candidate that they the Black Panthers supported? How would they even know who or what someone voted for once they went inside the booth unless they were stupid enough to tell them? Maybe they were trying to intimidate the other candidates people which unless it was a hotly contested precinct..still would have prompt a call to the police. I suspect it was more a publicity stunt than anything else.. but I guess we have to ask them....LOL

Last edited by Woodlands; 07-18-2014 at 08:14 AM..
 
Old 07-18-2014, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Raleigh
1,206 posts, read 1,197,382 times
Reputation: 1377
The Southern Poverty Law Center is a hate group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top