U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 01:46 PM

15,908 posts, read 10,044,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Why they have porta poddies on the lot.

We aren't talking about this situation though. Some clown who is so drunk he whizzes out in the public. I would not hire him would you? I mean hell it probably doesn't even get on your record but if it does then you got more problems than whizzing in public. I have no sympathy for folks who do stupid sheet. And it aint one time if it's on your record you do it over and over. Not on my workforce if I had one IMO. Football fans.........hey at halftime back in the day folks would run to the bathroom, sink, trash can, whatever. Whole different world there at the stadium brudder............lol
They didn't have porta potties in the lots back in the day. People do stupid s*** all of the time, and there are somethings I guess I can overlook.

Quote:
I agree.............yet it is still against the law and if you get caught.........you get caught. Hell we have all done things against the dreaded law. You get caught you pay the consequences though. One of those is you have a record you don't get hired. Simple stuff.
Yes consequences should not equal a life sentence for petty s***!

Quote:
Yes I feel a second chance is at hand for many..............yet I would not be the one giving it if I owned a business. That is the key thing. You (not you but those that do) blew it once and I would not take a chance on one unless I knew em personally. See ya once I see they have a record IMO.
Your perrogative. The only charge I had was for underage drinking, which was a misdemeanor. I was 20, and my buddy and I got popped in the club. In fact, it never hindered me from getting a job, and given that my wife does background checks due to her recruiting background, she was never able to find it. It was a stupid, I did wrong, I got caught, but should that hinder me for the rest of my life, given I've not been caught for anything since, and pretty much stay on the straight and narrow (other than the occasional toke in the privacy of my own home)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I understand, you were young, fortunately you didn't get caught.

I had a girlfriend who owned a motel, on the beach, and once in a while, they had males come on their property and pee, in their garden, so disgusing, when there were businesses around and a public bathroom across the street, so forgive me for being really anil about it, I just think it is disgusting. Like peeing in a pool....God, human beings can be really disgusting.....

anyway, TMI, no one accused you of the latter, no need to be gross....
I can understand why you'd be annoyed, given there were bathrooms close by. However; that wasn't the case in my situation. Furthermore, peeing in a pool is just foul! I'd be inclined to slap a person if I caught them doing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Wow..... hang em all huh? In a country that jails a higher percentage of the population than anywhere else in the world. Do you not think that may be, just may be, less people should be sent to jail in the US? Plus perhaps less would go back to jail if they're given a chance?

People, especially young people make mistakes. Get involved with the wrong crowd - it happens. It seems from what I read here, many folks think they should be punished the rest of their lives.
The Prison Industrial Complex loves it! It pays to criminalize people for every little thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Different argument all together.

You're talking about the quality (or lack there of) of the crimes that they are convicted of.

If someone gets caught with 2 marijuana plants growing on their back lot at 18, they are now a felon. I agree, jailing this poor child at all is asinine and stupid. They weren't selling drugs, they were growing their own. While I don't think 18 year olds should smoke pot, they do it anyway.

I agree we over jail. 70% of all convicted felons are there for non violent drug offenses, at last I heard. Now that could be crack, meth, pot, coke, any number of substances, but the point is, they are non violent drug offenses.

End the war on drugs tomorrow, release 70% of the inmate population. You'd make a whole lot of law enforcement agencies, prisons, their private owners, and pharmaceutical companies very upset.

Of course I say **** on them, let them find work elsewhere, but thats just me, and unfortunately our numbers do not add up to a significant majority of the population at this time. But our numbers grow with each day when people realize how stupid it is to lock someone up for drugs. Fine them, arrest them, make them do all kinds of bull****, but jail? No
I find it borderline criminal that we lock people up for non-violent offenses such as drug use, and mix them with hardcore criminals. What happens then becomes a vicious cycle. That non-violent drug user, now ends up doing worse stuff, because he/she can't get a job and better themselves. I'm with you in regards to ending the war on drugs. Screw the special interests. Let them find new hobbies. And as for those in LE, let them go after real criminals, such as thieves, those who commit armed robbery, murderers, rapists, pedophiles, ect...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 10:18 AM

12,715 posts, read 11,575,134 times
It should be illegal for employers to ask except in very job-specific cases (sex offenders in a day care center, embezzlers in a bank, etc.). We have a big enough problem with inequality and a permanent underclass in this country without making the pool of unemployables unnaturally large.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:23 AM

29,419 posts, read 18,678,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Yes consequences should not equal a life sentence for petty s***!

Petty **** is against the law. That is no petty but reality. Nobody gets not hired for "petty" sheet.

Your perrogative. The only charge I had was for underage drinking, which was a misdemeanor. I was 20, and my buddy and I got popped in the club. In fact, it never hindered me from getting a job
Felony and getting "popped" are two different animals. You go hire a felon. I won't. Or wouldn't if I had my own bidness.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
It should be illegal for employers to ask except in very job-specific cases (sex offenders in a day care center, embezzlers in a bank, etc.). We have a big enough problem with inequality and a permanent underclass in this country without making the pool of unemployables unnaturally large.
BS.............You commit the crime do the time..........no matter how long it affects you. How long you think the folks the crime was committed against deal with it? I guess you don't care.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
BS.............You commit the crime do the time..........no matter how long it affects you. How long you think the folks the crime was committed against deal with it? I guess you don't care.
In this context, no, I don't care. Preventing an offender from finding work or, in some cases, a place to live does not magically undo the offense or help the victim (in cases where there actually is a specific identifiable victim.) It's a pure case of cutting off our nose to spite our face, which is a common American character defect.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:16 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,302,155 times
Quote:
Can I send a thief to your home???

He/she will just steal small things.

I promise.....but, hide the car keys.....just in case.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Can I send a thief to your home???

He/she will just steal small things.

I promise.....but, hide the car keys.....just in case.
I am always cautious when people I don't know enter my home.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:22 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,302,155 times
Quote:
I am always cautious when people I don't know enter my home.
Then why would I hire someone you will not let in???

Your trust in me is why my business works.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:32 AM

2,870 posts, read 1,657,498 times
I think that the decision should be up to the employer. I've worked with a few ex-felons in the past and they were good workers. Their past criminal history did not affect their work. It really depends on the type of crime and the type of work.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
In this context, no, I don't care. Preventing an offender from finding work or, in some cases, a place to live does not magically undo the offense or help the victim (in cases where there actually is a specific identifiable victim.) It's a pure case of cutting off our nose to spite our face, which is a common American character defect.
Nor does "doing time" magically undo the offense. Criminals are just that. I don't care. Once you leave the legals system to do as you please you are done to me. I have no sympathy for any of em. Hey maybe they should have got "help" prior? Who knows or cares. Most don't want it to begin with. You can go on and give sympathy to these animals but I won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or