U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2014, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,202 posts, read 18,212,540 times
Reputation: 8031

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Yeah, we all wish the Democrats could have passed single payer instead of having to settle for the Republican plan with its mandates. But Conservatives were determined to not allow that, thus here we are with the Republican mandates instead. But on the plus side, I and millions of other Americans who were uninsured now have health insurance. Still hoping for some form of universal healthcare--perhaps once the Tea Party dies off we can engage in sensible dialogue on this and many other the issues. As long as they are in control of the GOP that will not be possible.
LOL. Second reply to a thread with "Obama" in the title.

Must be that "dog whistle politics" you were talking about...

Here, puppy puppy puppy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2014, 06:30 AM
 
Location: Barrington
45,610 posts, read 33,877,378 times
Reputation: 15181
Employment has been trending part time since the 60's

Walmart overtook IBM as the largest private sector employer in the US in the 80's. Then McDonalds pushed IBM to the third spot, again in the 80's. Food services and retail historically have hired part time low wage employees to avoid overtime and to align work schedules with busy times.

Technology has eliminated tens millions of rule based jobs over the years. Bank tellers, printers, payroll, back office, admin and of course manufacturing are all sectors that employ only a fraction of the people that they once did due to machines being more productive than humans.

Online shopping is replacing brick and mortar.. No need to lease, build, finish, manage or maintain massive corporate parks because the trend towards work at home is more cost effective. 70% of small businesses have no employees and are operated from home.

And all of this has been trending for 30+ years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2014, 06:34 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
7,215 posts, read 7,883,531 times
Reputation: 7740
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

And all of this has been trending for 30+ years now.
Yes, and it's obviously all Obama's fault. This was his evil plan ever since his days as a community organizer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2014, 06:39 AM
 
19,805 posts, read 11,038,373 times
Reputation: 19849
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Employment has been trending part time since the 60's

Walmart overtook IBM as the largest private sector employer in the US in the 80's. Then McDonalds pushed IBM to the third spot, again in the 80's. Food services and retail historically have hired part time low wage employees to avoid overtime and to align work schedules with busy times.

Technology has eliminated tens millions of rule based jobs over the years. Bank tellers, printers, payroll, back office, admin and of course manufacturing are all sectors that employ only a fraction of the people that they once did due to machines being more productive than humans.

Online shopping is replacing brick and mortar.. No need to lease, build, finish, manage or maintain massive corporate parks because the trend towards work at home is more cost effective. 70% of small businesses have no employees and are operated from home.
Interesing point. And the Millennial generation acknowledges that they are looking at a society in which they'll commonly do the "Haitian Immigrant" thing of working several part time jobs (including more than one self-employment income stream) to make up a full income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2014, 06:46 AM
 
19,805 posts, read 11,038,373 times
Reputation: 19849
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Clearly stated than what? Do you seriously need links like that to come up with an opinion.

Here's why mandates are needed. Plenty of selfish people are too cheap or lazy to get health insurance. The mandate makes people who don't have insurance actually pay for themselves instead of leaching off of people like me.
I've lived in countries where an injured person went to the hospital, got a "quote" on what care would cost, and if he didn't have that much cash in his pocket, they put him back out on the steps.

I know a woman who has never held a real job, unmarried, a meth addict and already has one child, then had another child--which was totally paid for by Medicaid and through hospital largesse. Then less than a year after the second child, she was diagnosed with lukemia and went through the full cancer treatment also on Medicaid and hospital largesse. I think she did pay a bit less than $1,000 on the bill before simply stopping.

Everyone in the US already has a basic level of insurance because no US hospital is going to leave an injured person out on the steps to die. It's just a matter of who is paying for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2014, 06:46 AM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
30,391 posts, read 20,035,016 times
Reputation: 8320
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Yeah, we all wish the Democrats could have passed single payer instead of having to settle for the Republican plan with its mandates. But Conservatives were determined to not allow that, thus here we are with the Republican mandates instead. But on the plus side, I and millions of other Americans who were uninsured now have health insurance. Still hoping for some form of universal healthcare--perhaps once the Tea Party dies off we can engage in sensible dialogue on this and many other the issues. As long as they are in control of the GOP that will not be possible.
How many Republicans voted for Obamacare?

What would have become of a single-payer plan?

That's right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2014, 06:47 AM
 
20,978 posts, read 16,218,465 times
Reputation: 10270
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The problem with the concept of Obamacare, and it's many mandates, couldn't be more clearly stated than this:
Blog: Feds pressuring business to rescue Obama and Dems from another failure of OCare
But look at how well they run the VA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2014, 06:53 AM
 
23,851 posts, read 19,802,302 times
Reputation: 9381
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Yeah, we all wish the Democrats could have passed single payer instead of having to settle for the Republican plan with its mandates. But Conservatives were determined to not allow that, thus here we are with the Republican mandates instead. But on the plus side, I and millions of other Americans who were uninsured now have health insurance. Still hoping for some form of universal healthcare--perhaps once the Tea Party dies off we can engage in sensible dialogue on this and many other the issues. As long as they are in control of the GOP that will not be possible.
You are definitely confused. Not one single Republican voted for the ACA, and yet here you are telling us that Democrats were forced to settle for the ACA? Democrats could have just as easily passed "single payer" but they chose not to. Why is that?

Are you fundamentally disingenuous, intellectually dishonest, or just plain ignorant? Pick one. Because what you have said here does not even remotely comport with reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2014, 08:18 AM
 
33,046 posts, read 21,952,602 times
Reputation: 8962
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The problem with the concept of Obamacare, and it's many mandates, couldn't be more clearly stated than this:
Blog: Feds pressuring business to rescue Obama and Dems from another failure of OCare

Obamacare = Anthropogenic Economic Cooling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2014, 08:24 AM
 
Location: NE Ohio
30,194 posts, read 16,569,151 times
Reputation: 8847
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Yeah, we all wish the Democrats could have passed single payer instead of having to settle for the Republican plan with its mandates. But Conservatives were determined to not allow that, thus here we are with the Republican mandates instead. But on the plus side, I and millions of other Americans who were uninsured now have health insurance. Still hoping for some form of universal healthcare--perhaps once the Tea Party dies off we can engage in sensible dialogue on this and many other the issues. As long as they are in control of the GOP that will not be possible.
Not one Republican voted for Obamacare. Not one. This is 100% a Democrat plan.

As Barack Obama told the SEIU, he preferred a single payer plan, but "we can't get there" all at once.

I don't know where you get your information, but you are 100% wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top