U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2014, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,671 posts, read 33,671,635 times
Reputation: 51856

Advertisements

One of the reasons we supposedly have immigration laws is so the American taxpayer isn't burdened by letting a bunch of poor people in. Legal immigration allows for a mix.

 
Old 07-17-2014, 08:26 AM
 
14,298 posts, read 8,105,288 times
Reputation: 4247
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
America is/was the land of freedom and opportunity and pursuit of happiness, right? And many of your ancestors escaped famines in Ireland or clearances by sailing. But when the illegal immigrants from Mexico want to do the same thing Arizona wants to profile them
We did not have the ubiquitous social welfare system back in those days. People had to immigrate here only if they had a sponsor, and would be able to support themselves and their families.

Now we allow people to invade our borders, showing no regard for our immigration laws, and we immediately grant them various forms of social welfare and make them wards of the state.
 
Old 07-17-2014, 08:31 AM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,998,929 times
Reputation: 5905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
When my ancestors immigrated, there were no laws for immigrants from Germany. Ditto with my spouse's family from Denmark and Sweden. This business of "legal immigration" is new in this country, for about the past 100 years.
Not quite true. Word was many people were sent HOME from Ellis Island 100 years ago, even long before that.

Too; NO country in 2014 allows illegal aliens.
 
Old 07-17-2014, 08:34 AM
 
14,298 posts, read 8,105,288 times
Reputation: 4247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Once more, slowly. . .

If your ancestors arrived from Europe before 1920, they did NOT go through any immigration process. They saved up the money, or in some cases were paid by the steel companies and others, got on a boat and came over.

People have been posting that the difference between now and then is that "back then" immigrants went through the legal immigration process. NOT SO! In fact, there's more similarity to what the illegal immigrants are doing these days and what most of our ancestors did, than to any "legal immigration" process.
The robber barons using the process of illegally hiring cheap labor workers from abroad, who "did NOT go through any immigration process," was not government policy, now was it!

The new robber barons are the politicians and their political appointees within our own government.
 
Old 07-17-2014, 08:39 AM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,998,929 times
Reputation: 5905
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
By this logic, since segregation was still in effect back in 1920 we ought to have segregation again.

I'm a liberal homo. I have to deal with christian bigots referring to their old testament written by genocidal barbarians as a justification for their bigotry. Do you not see the problem with your argument from the past?

Time change. Deal with it. Christians used to be able to torture and kill us homos. Now they can't. This country used to have an open door policy to all those who can afford to get here. Now it doesn't.

Or would you like to argue that christians can go back to persecuting us homos? Because they will without a doubt if society lets them.
Agreed and, till about 1920 most women couldn't vote in the US either.
 
Old 07-17-2014, 08:46 AM
 
14,298 posts, read 8,105,288 times
Reputation: 4247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Not quite true. Word was many people were sent HOME from Ellis Island 100 years ago, even long before that.

Too; NO country in 2014 allows illegal aliens.
We do!

It's now federal policy to selectively allow illegal immigration, and to borrow billions of dollars to make sure our illegal immigrants get all the niceties and amenities our taxpayer money can buy.
 
Old 07-17-2014, 08:51 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,982 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Reputation: 33045
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
The difference is after our ancestors got off the boat they had to support themselves immediately. The government in no way intervened to help them. Big difference from what we are seeing on the southern border.
Oh, no they didn't! They often had family here, who supported them, and/or the church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
By this logic, since segregation was still in effect back in 1920 we ought to have segregation again.

I'm a liberal homo. I have to deal with christian bigots referring to their old testament written by genocidal barbarians as a justification for their bigotry. Do you not see the problem with your argument from the past?

Time change. Deal with it. Christians used to be able to torture and kill us homos. Now they can't. This country used to have an open door policy to all those who can afford to get here. Now it doesn't.

Or would you like to argue that christians can go back to persecuting us homos? Because they will without a doubt if society lets them.
I don't care who you are, you don't understand what I'm saying.

The posts I quoted talked about people here already having followed the legal immigration process. That is only true by the fact that there was no immigration process for Europeans anyway.

Sure, it's 2014. Times have changed. But don't justify opposition to immigration (which is the thread title, not opposition to illegal immigration) by saying that in the past, people who immigrated followed the legal immigration laws.
 
Old 07-17-2014, 08:55 AM
 
16,720 posts, read 14,684,567 times
Reputation: 41119
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
America is/was the land of freedom and opportunity and pursuit of happiness, right? And many of your ancestors escaped famines in Ireland or clearances by sailing. But when the illegal immigrants from Mexico want to do the same thing Arizona wants to profile them
America is anti-illegal immigration.

My grandparents came her from Cuba and Spain, became citizens, and my grandfather fought in WWII in the US Navy.

The problem with immigration today is all the folks who come here for free, get everything for free, when they don't even try to become citizens.
 
Old 07-17-2014, 08:56 AM
Status: ""a mind that understands science"" (set 29 days ago)
 
18,994 posts, read 12,192,035 times
Reputation: 10401
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
By this logic, since segregation was still in effect back in 1920 we ought to have segregation again.

I'm a liberal homo. I have to deal with christian bigots referring to their old testament written by genocidal barbarians as a justification for their bigotry. Do you not see the problem with your argument from the past?

Time change. Deal with it. Christians used to be able to torture and kill us homos. Now they can't. This country used to have an open door policy to all those who can afford to get here. Now it doesn't.

Or would you like to argue that christians can go back to persecuting us homos? Because they will without a doubt if society lets them.

"Or would you like to argue that christians can go back to persecuting us homos? Because they will without a doubt if society lets them.[/quote]"


Wow- pretty hateful. I would guess that many of our priests in the Catholic church are gay and no one seems to have a problem with that. How many gays did Christ kill?
 
Old 07-17-2014, 08:58 AM
 
10,773 posts, read 13,666,847 times
Reputation: 6266
I think the majority of the population are pro-legal, controlled immigration, from a cross section of cultures. If you have economic problems you cut back on those numbers. When you need more workers, you raise them.

What we have now is uncontrolled illegal immigration, from mostly Central American countries, made up mostly of very poor uneducated people whose only effect on the economy is to drive wages down and increase the need for social services. Add on top of that the use of H1-Bs to drive down wages for skilled labor, and you basically have a government policy that is anti-American worker, pro big corporations with some help from the Latino lobby that seeks to turn the country into another Latin American nation. I think there are enough of them already in this hemisphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top