Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 08:06 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
People like myself (as liberal as I am) are not anti-immigration. We are anti-illegal immigration.

My family came from one of the poorest parts of the world. When I was little, sometimes our parents would tell us in the morning to go back to sleep and sleep all day because there weren't anything to eat that day. My parents applied for us to LEGALLY immigrate to the US. 10 years after they submitted their application, it finally went through and we came. We literally waited 10 years in line. As soon as we came over here, we all went to college. 4 of us became engineers, 2 are now department heads in their companies. The 5th is a mathematician working in a nuclear research lab in Kentucky.

The point is from my family's example, anyone from anywhere can do great things when the opportunity is there. And I strongly believe that opportunities should be expanded to more parts of the world. I also strongly believe that people ought to have the opportunity to immigrate here and become contributing members of this society.

But again, my family waited in line for 10 years to come here. And as soon as we came here, we started working really hard to become active contributing members of society.

Now, do you understand why some of us extreme liberals still believe in LEGAL IMMIGRATION?
Excellent post.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:07 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
America is/was the land of freedom and opportunity and pursuit of happiness, right? And many of your ancestors escaped famines in Ireland or clearances by sailing. But when the illegal immigrants from Mexico want to do the same thing Arizona wants to profile them
You answered your own question. I can't wait to see what gem you come up with next.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:08 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
America is/was the land of freedom and opportunity and pursuit of happiness, right? And many of your ancestors escaped famines in Ireland or clearances by sailing. But when the illegal immigrants from Mexico want to do the same thing Arizona wants to profile them
You must have been napping in HS during U.S. History, Law and Ethics classes.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:09 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The problem that outrages so many true Americans is that all the illegal aliens hopping the border in general are not bringing any skills that will add to America. Worse is they will be taking and sponging off the welfare system for decades if not their entire lives. Certainly a few will rise up and become good productive people that will help society but most will not. The saddest part is our government knows this and seems content to let America slowly rot from within.
There has been a shift in immigrants and their thinking in the last generation. When I worked and lived alongside immigrants from Brazil and yes some of them were illegal there was a dividing line along age. The guys that were 35+ worked hard to improve their lives and those of their family and they also worked hard to fit into society and some even became American citizens. The 20 somethings worked hard but they were all about themselves and most had plans that once they bankrolled enough money they were moving back to Brazil. They saw America as a cash cow to milk. At least they worked an honest day.
There was also another group that did as little as possible and they leeched off the system.
The problem is the do nothing leeches that we all need to pay for.
America doesn't have a problem with legal immigration it has a problem with illegal immigration and our Gov. telling us that it is good for us.
In 2010, a whopping 48% of all hispanic births were paid for by medicaid. An even more unbelievable number of 71% of black births were paid for by medicaid. Compare that to 5% asian births and roughly 20% white births.

No, I'm not against helping poor people. As I said in my previous post, my family came from extreme poverty where there were days when we didn't have anything to eat at all. But come on, 48% and 71% pumped out kids that the rest of us have to pay for?

There's a difference between genuinely situational poor people and leeches.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
It's 2014 not 1920 . There are now laws
Once more, slowly. . .

If your ancestors arrived from Europe before 1920, they did NOT go through any immigration process. They saved up the money, or in some cases were paid by the steel companies and others, got on a boat and came over.

People have been posting that the difference between now and then is that "back then" immigrants went through the legal immigration process. NOT SO! In fact, there's more similarity to what the illegal immigrants are doing these days and what most of our ancestors did, than to any "legal immigration" process.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:12 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
1. America is FOR legal immigration

2. America is opposed to ILLEGAL immigration

3. No nation in the world can, or will, exist with open borders

4. Most immigrants of the past brought skills to America

5. Most immigrants of the past were able to read and write

6. In past large scale immigration waves, immigrants did not require/demand federal support for thier existence

7. In past large scale immigration waves, there was available ready employment and or farmland to occupy and develop

Now............................. if you are so eager to support these waves of illegal immigrants, I suggest you and each of your liberal friends fork over $200K each to make a dent in the cost of feeding, housing, supporting, and educating these illegals.

The "sympathy" of a liberal stops at the boundries of their wallet. Ask a liberal for a dime to support any of the programs they hold so "dear" and they will turn and run. Libs expect someone else to pay for all of the things they want to soothe thier guilty conscience.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:16 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Once more, slowly. . .

If your ancestors arrived from Europe before 1920, they did NOT go through any immigration process. They saved up the money, or in some cases were paid by the steel companies and others, got on a boat and came over.

People have been posting that the difference between now and then is that "back then" immigrants went through the legal immigration process. NOT SO! In fact, there's more similarity to what the illegal immigrants are doing these days and what most of our ancestors did, than to any "legal immigration" process.
The difference is after our ancestors got off the boat they had to support themselves immediately. The government in no way intervened to help them. Big difference from what we are seeing on the southern border.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:17 AM

Edited - Double post.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Once more, slowly. . .

By this logic, since segregation was still in effect back in 1920 we ought to have segregation again.

I'm a liberal homo. I have to deal with christian bigots referring to their old testament written by genocidal barbarians as a justification for their bigotry. Do you not see the problem with your argument from the past?

Time change. Deal with it. Christians used to be able to torture and kill us homos. Now they can't. This country used to have an open door policy to all those who can afford to get here. Now it doesn't.

Or would you like to argue that christians can go back to persecuting us homos? Because they will without a doubt if society lets them.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:21 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Once more, slowly. . .

Whatever the process was back then most immigrants followed them. The process has had to change via quotas for good reasons. As I already stated, we are no longer a wide open frontier with plentiful jobs and resources and our population has grown immensely since back then. What part of that aren't you grasping? The reasons why immigrants came long ago and the illegal immigrants of today is totally irrelevant. It is our laws in place today that are relevant, nothing else. If just their reasons for wanting to come here is all that mattered then we'd have 2 billion impoverished coming here at will. Is that what you want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies