U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 02:32 AM

9,427 posts, read 5,747,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
It's a personal opinion. If you didn't like that one you'll hate the next. In my opinion the need for the second amendment is diminishing each decade... There's going to be a point in time (in the future) that we need to revisit the right to bear arms.
It is not a issue to revist, it is a right, Heller vs DC proves this..

Really? It is? Tell that to the 120,000,000 to 150,000,000 gun owners in America..

We are winning the Information War, The Culture War, And above we have won the Youth...

Most popular games are First Person Shooters, Most popular shows are about people defending themselves with firearm visa vi The Walking Dead. Most popular movie and novel are about Armed people fighting back against tyranny "The Hunger Games"..

You are wrong..We are winning in countless ways..

The Youth
The Culture
The Future

They are ours...They are for liberty, freedom, prosperity, our posterity and the means to defend all we hold dear..

Dont like it?

LEAVE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 09:05 AM

23,086 posts, read 12,663,591 times
Did SHABAZZ310 say we need to "revisit" the Second Amendment? Maybe one day we will also need to revisit the First Amendment as well.

Quinn is a bum. Trying to raise political points with the liberals in Illinois to deflect the sorry state of the Illinois economy.

"Assault weapons" (scary looking rifles), are a tiny fraction of the gun crimes committed. What's the rationale? Shouldn't he go after handguns, since most Illinois gun crimes are committed with easily concealed hand guns by gangbangers on Chicago's South and West sides? Oh he, can't since the Supreme Court struck down unconstitutional laws in Chicago.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:22 AM

66,173 posts, read 33,593,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Most mass murderers use assault weapons. The Columbine shooters, movie theater shooter, Sandy Hook school shooter, Beltway snipers, ex.ex. they all used assault weapons.

Assault weapons are guns that "look" like a military gun (such as a M16.) These guns appearance creates mental emotions like those in a movie where someone uses a M16 to kill large numbers of people, thats why assault weapons are a mass murderers weapon of choice.

Assault weapons are not needed for hunting, home defense, or personal defense.

If you see a 22 rifle you think about shooting small animals. If you see a shotgun you think about shooting birds. If you see a large caliber hunting rifle you think about shooting deer. If you see a assault weapon you think about shooting large numbers of people (after all assault weapons are modeled after military weapons that were designed to kill large numbers of people.)

I believe in freedom and gun rights. But as responsible gun owners should we want "certain" guns on our streets that give insane people mental thoughts of killing large numbers of people? (especially considering these guns are not even needed for hunting, home defense, or personal defense.)

Assault weapons?

Isn't anything in your hand used in a violent way, on other human beings, and assault weapon?

My 16 yo daughter has the very same .223, with a 30 round mag, only it is an older Browning, with a wooden stock. What makes it a non-assault weapon? The stock?

I have 2, 30.06 Browning Automatic Rifles(BAR) and 1 Thompson 1928(Tommy Gun) They both have wooden stocks. Why are they not considered Assault Weapons, in your mind of definitions, to single out a "look".

Then there is this thing, about the definition of the phrase, "shall not be infringed"

Old 07-20-2014, 09:42 AM

1,736 posts, read 1,474,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
It's a personal opinion. If you didn't like that one you'll hate the next. In my opinion the need for the second amendment is diminishing each decade... There's going to be a point in time (in the future) that we need to revisit the right to bear arms.
You could argue the same thing when alcohol prohibition was being discussed.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Did SHABAZZ310 say we need to "revisit" the Second Amendment? Maybe one day we will also need to revisit the First Amendment as well.

Quinn is a bum. Trying to raise political points with the liberals in Illinois to deflect the sorry state of the Illinois economy.

"Assault weapons" (scary looking rifles), are a tiny fraction of the gun crimes committed. What's the rationale? Shouldn't he go after handguns, since most Illinois gun crimes are committed with easily concealed hand guns by gangbangers on Chicago's South and West sides? Oh he, can't since the Supreme Court struck down unconstitutional laws in Chicago.
Or he could go after Gang Bangers..Just a idea.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:54 AM

7,494 posts, read 3,504,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Oh no. I am against any gun ban but we have to have background checks.
I'm actually not against background checks, but in many of these spree shooting they already passed background checks.

Still, let's say we create background checks where they're currently not in place. you're more likely to be struck by lightening than to be involved in a spree shooting. How will this help the actual problem we face which is unregistered/illegally purchased hand guns in the possession of inner city criminals?

Why won't anyone discuss the actual problem?

Old 07-20-2014, 12:25 PM

13,964 posts, read 10,749,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
It is not a issue to revist, it is a right, Heller vs DC proves this..

Really? It is? Tell that to the 120,000,000 to 150,000,000 gun owners in America..

We are winning the Information War, The Culture War, And above we have won the Youth...

Most popular games are First Person Shooters, Most popular shows are about people defending themselves with firearm visa vi The Walking Dead. Most popular movie and novel are about Armed people fighting back against tyranny "The Hunger Games"..

You are wrong..We are winning in countless ways..

The Youth
The Culture
The Future

They are ours...They are for liberty, freedom, prosperity, our posterity and the means to defend all we hold dear..

Dont like it?

LEAVE.
GL, I'm not sure we want FPS games like "Call of Duty" or graphic TV shows like "The Walking Dead" { as much as I love that show } to be the example of what a healthy gun culture is supposed to look like. In my opinion, they are part of the problem, not signs of victory.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 07-20-2014 at 12:54 PM..

Old 07-20-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
GL, I'm not sure we want FPS games like "Call of Duty" or graphic TV shows the "The Walking Dead" { as much as I love that show } to be the shining example of our gun culture in this country. In my opinion, they are part of the problem, not signs of victory.
They are one thing if one thing only..They are honest, He are free men and women defending themselves with force, with firearms from threats...It is really played out in cyber space on or the small screen...

They act real hard hit questions..

Do you want to be a victims or a victor?

Do you want to live or die?

Do you want to take charge of your life and its direction and outcome or be just be a bystanders to it?

More over the show that yes you can fail, and you can make the right calls and do everything in your power, and you can still fail..

I know they are not the best and most eloquent mediums but they are working...

Old 07-20-2014, 01:37 PM

12,300 posts, read 7,932,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I'm actually not against background checks, but in many of these spree shooting they already passed background checks.

Still, let's say we create background checks where they're currently not in place. you're more likely to be struck by lightening than to be involved in a spree shooting. How will this help the actual problem we face which is unregistered/illegally purchased hand guns in the possession of inner city criminals?

Why won't anyone discuss the actual problem?
Because the real goal has nothing to do with reducing crime.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:44 PM

12,300 posts, read 7,932,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
They are one thing if one thing only..They are honest, He are free men and women defending themselves with force, with firearms from threats...It is really played out in cyber space on or the small screen...

They act real hard hit questions..

Do you want to be a victims or a victor?

Do you want to live or die?

Do you want to take charge of your life and its direction and outcome or be just be a bystanders to it?

More over the show that yes you can fail, and you can make the right calls and do everything in your power, and you can still fail..

I know they are not the best and most eloquent mediums but they are working...
I agree, guns ownership as a hobby and sport is increasing dramatically. In the past owning a gun was the same as a shovel or any other tool. Over the last few decades guns have become more of a hobby and a means of self defense, than a tool on the farm. This is why the total households with guns is down nationwide, but the total sales of guns have skyrocketed. Gone are the family with one rifle and one shotgun; they have been replaced with the gun owner with 10-20 various guns who enjoys the sport of shooting.

On top of all of this, concealed carry has become acceptable in most states and people are carrying more now for self defense than at any point in the last 100 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies