Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 07:12 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

Very interesting. I also read the original paper. I know some conservatives and this pretty much describes them.

Next will be Why Progressives are... Progressive.

Scientists Are Beginning to Figure Out Why Conservatives Are

Old 07-18-2014, 09:14 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
.... I know some [emphasis mine] conservatives and this pretty much describes them.

Only some? Then, according to that paper, you must be one of those closed-minded [gasp!] conservatives who are afraid to venture out of their comfort zone. You have to admit, that sounds a lot like, "Some of my best friends are [insert whatever here]."

Thanks for the laugh.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:29 AM

Actually I know very few conservatives but the ones I do know are like this. Hence the use of "some".

Old 07-18-2014, 09:30 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,609 times
I think that's a very interesting experiment and the hypothesis makes sense.

If anyone reading the article is having a reaction to the phrase "negativity bias", try reading the article again but replacing "negativity bias" with "reality bias" or something that may be less inflammatory in order to absorb the information objectively. I have more questions, but the concept is intriguing, seems to have a high degree of surface validity and confirms anecdotes in my life experience. In other words, the potentially offensive (or vindicating) bias is in the article, not in the data. If a different author had presented the study in a different manner such as "conservatism is natural and liberalism is similar to homosexuality based on recent findings" then the potential for offensiveness would be pointed in an entirely different direction.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:32 AM

966 posts, read 1,345,706 times
here it is plain and simple,
if you have $5 in your pocket, you order a $5 meal, You are a conservative,
If you have $5 in your pocket and you order a $100 meal and expect others to pay to other $95, you are a liberal.
See so simple

Old 07-18-2014, 09:45 AM

so wrong.... here is how it works

If you are a conservative and have $5 in your pocket you order a $5 meal and make fun of the poor homeless fellow on the sidewalk who is "too lazy to work"

If you are progressive and have $5 in your pocket you order a $5 meal and share half of it with the homeless fella on the sidewalk cause you have some compassion for those who have less than you.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:06 AM

179 posts, read 247,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
here it is plain and simple,
if you have $5 in your pocket, you order a $5 meal, You are a conservative,
If you have $5 in your pocket and you order a $100 meal and expect others to pay to other $95, you are a liberal.
See so simple
ummmm, I've known quite a few liberals who would order a $5 meal with $10 in their pockets and pay for someone else's $5 meal also.

I also know many "conservatives' who don't fit the sterotypes they're saddled with.

This whole practice of defining people as liberal or conservative is maddening. People who identify too strongly with either faction spend entirely too much time focusing on differences and pointing fingers. Such a waste. If we'd focus on what we have in common, we'd probably have more productive cconversations (and I'm not saying here, I mean in the world in general.)

Old 07-18-2014, 10:20 AM

50,759 posts, read 36,458,112 times
This should be on P&OC if it's going to become a liberal or conservative bashing thread, just saying.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:13 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLDad View Post
ummmm, I've known quite a few liberals who would order a $5 meal with $10 in their pockets and pay for someone else's $5 meal also.

I also know many "conservatives' who don't fit the sterotypes they're saddled with.

This whole practice of defining people as liberal or conservative is maddening. People who identify too strongly with either faction spend entirely too much time focusing on differences and pointing fingers. Such a waste. If we'd focus on what we have in common, we'd probably have more productive cconversations (and I'm not saying here, I mean in the world in general.)
Good luck with that one.
Liberalism exists so liberals can feel good about themselves - especially rich, white progressives.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:59 AM

44,353 posts, read 20,056,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This should be on P&OC if it's going to become a liberal or conservative bashing thread, just saying.
The thread has been moved to P&OC.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies