Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 07:24 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Sure, but at $8 per hour, nobody is going to consider the unskilled meaningfully wealthy.
That's why people who make $8 an hour need to both a) work hard at improving their skills and b) make a bunch of lifestyle sacrifices and concessions to their income. Undergrad is where people learn how to exist on $20 per week. My nephew who just graduated said his 4 years of college taught him how to survive if he ever ends up homeless and has to live off panhandling.

That's the thing about a lot of these "oh woe is me" stories. Most every successful person on this forum and in the country in general probably had a period where they ate the knock-off WalMart version of Raman noodles and generic mac & cheese as their only food intake. I know I did, for long stretches now and again. But work is easy to come by in this country, and cheap food is easy to score as well. Just have to let necessity become the mother of invention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
I'm not going to drive mire than 0 miles because I don't have a car.
You can get a brand new bicycle designed for commuting to work for around $400. Then, you have a 20-25 mile range no problem. It was my commute to high school for 4 years, and I am thinking of making it my vehicle for my current commute. Imagine, physical fitness as the bonus prize to being able to extend your job reach further than your sofa!

Old 07-21-2014, 07:31 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
If they were there first, why should they have to move because incoming Californians and hipsters make the place more expensive?
Rents in some areas have increased faster than incomes, since forever.

My parents were lifetime renters. We moved every year because the rent increased faster than their incomes.
This was 50 years ago.

In the late 70's I exchanged my weekend time for a reduction in rent and showed apartments in two 100 year old buildings with hundreds of units in Lincoln Park, Chicago. The annual turnover rate was near 50%. Leases expired either May or Oct first. It was chaos on moving days.

I have no recollection of people blaming government or expecting government to do something about it.

Some municipalities, like NYC, have had some degree of rent control for 70 years. The abuses by tenants are legendary.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
If they were there first, why should they have to move because incoming Californians and hipsters make the place more expensive?
If they are owners...they shouldn't have to move. They'll be happy about it because their property values are increased.

If they are renters, having another lease past the one they are currently in is subject to the whim of the owner, as it always was anyway. Don't want to be subjected to those whims...buy your own property and live there.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:49 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Well, why not at least raise the minimum wage so people actually have enough to get by? Nah, let's not do that...let's just mock them and ask stuff like "Why can they afford a TV but not feed their family properly?" etc.
Raise it to what amount? What wage is "enough to get by?" Very few people actually work at the minimum wage, because it is not a very large amount and most people will turn down the offer and look for a job that pays better. Even if they do take the job, all the while they'll be busy searching look for another job that pays better.

The only people accepting minimum wage pay are people without any skills, or destructive people who have such a bad work history and caustic personality that no one wants to hire them.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
That's why people who make $8 an hour need to both a) work hard at improving their skills and b) make a bunch of lifestyle sacrifices and concessions to their income. Undergrad is where people learn how to exist on $20 per week. My nephew who just graduated said his 4 years of college taught him how to survive if he ever ends up homeless and has to live off panhandling.

That's the thing about a lot of these "oh woe is me" stories. Most every successful person on this forum and in the country in general probably had a period where they ate the knock-off WalMart version of Raman noodles and generic mac & cheese as their only food intake. I know I did, for long stretches now and again. But work is easy to come by in this country, and cheap food is easy to score as well. Just have to let necessity become the mother of invention.
Back in the day I lived off canned fruits and vegetables. This was way before credit card mania, cell phones and PCs. To this day a can of corn or beets is comfort food to me.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
I got 3 green peppers for $1, and 10 tomatoes for $1.00 at the farmers market friday. I also got 10 nectarines for $3. poor people can afford fruits and vegetables, they simply don't shop at the right places. they also don't cook.
Farmers Markets in some municipalities accept SNAP.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Back in the day I lived off canned fruits and vegetables. This was way before credit card mania, cell phones and PCs. To this day a can of corn or beets is comfort food to me.
When I was at my lowest, there was a convenience store near me that sold potato wedges for 15 cents, 2x chili dogs for $1, and a 32oz soda for 80 cents. For less than $3, that was damn near a 2,000 calorie meal. Not the best nutrition by any stretch, but when you're 19, hungry and funding food from searching couch cushions....it does get the job done. When I was 12, my sister and I used to live off cheap bread, egg salad and baloney/cheese since it was food we could afford from lawn mowing and babysitting. Again, not the best nutrition ever, but we made it work.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:16 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,698 times
The article says over half of those with food insecurity are white. I thought white people were privileged though.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Gee....why don't you elaborate.......

Pretty simple- they don't have the money to support kids
so they shouldn't be encouraged & rewarded to keep having them.
Not too complicated.
But go on, make it seem like it is.
In China, the food supply trailed population growth. 30 million died during the famines of the 50's- early 60's. Laws were enacted and imposed on the ethnic HAN majority limiting one child per family. Government benefits are tied to compliance. Abortions were forced in some provences. The law exempts ethnic minorities.

The wealthy have been fleeing China in record numbers. Reportedly, the US is the most favored destination. Pollution is the number one cause followed by child birth restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies