Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would YOU have done this if YOU were President ?
Yes. 16 61.54%
No. 10 38.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 03:34 PM

24,364 posts, read 22,950,229 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm split on this. I believe in ocean oil exploration and drilling, although it has to be done as safely as possible with companies accepting the costs of clean ups and fines for spills.
But I'm also against the Navy's use of more powerful sonic devices which have been killing whales and marine life.
Obama just passes the buck and does as he's ordered, nothing new here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 03:44 PM

4,501 posts, read 5,015,034 times
I wondering how we can pin the extinction of dinosaurs on Bush, I'm sure there's a connection !

Old 07-19-2014, 03:50 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,300,054 times
If Obama had put a stop to it you crazy $h!ts would have complained about THAT.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:37 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,379,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Stupid analogy.
The analogy is exact. Because it is not enough oil for you, you would rather do nothing. Like telling a starving man that he cannot eat a cracker since it will not satisfy his hunger. That has to be the dumbest argument ever put forward by anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
This isn't even remotely comparable. You and the other drilling advocates have zero plans for a real solution to our problems. Just destroy everything we have for a 1 year supply of oil or less. We're not going to starve today if we don't drill that 6 month to 1 year supply of oil. Some people might starve if we poison the waters, kill the fisheries off in the Atlantic, destroy the wildlife habitat in places like ANWR.
Your ignorance betrays you. Both ANWR and the oil along the eastern seaboard will provide the US with oil for decades. Only an uneducated child could possibly believe that 12+ billion barrels of oil can magically be extracted from the ground overnight, and I do not waste my time debating uneducated children who believe in magic.

You clearly need to get a grip on reality.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:45 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,859,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Drill.

HARD

Old 07-19-2014, 08:52 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,724,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
First of all, Obama had absolutely nothing do with it. In fact, if Obama had a clue what some of his Executive Branch agencies were doing, he would most certainly put a stop to it. The very last thing Obama, and the rest of the Democrats, want is for the US to increase domestic oil production. Thankfully in this particular case Obama is as ignorant as he is inept.

If you had actually read the article, instead of just the title, you would know that it was a decision made by the US Bureau of Ocean Energy Management.

If Obama, Clinton, and all the other Democrats had not blocked opening up ANWR for oil development, there might not have been a need to open the eastern seaboard for oil development. At least not yet. After all, there is between 6 and 8 billion barrels of oil and more than 50 trillion cubic feet of natural gas in ANWR.

However, Obama, Clinton and all the other Democrats did block ANWR, and the US economy is suffering as a result. So now they have access to 4.7 billion barrels of oil and 37.51 trillion cubic feet of natural gas. While I know we can do considerably better, it is at least an increase in domestic oil production, and that is better than the alternatives.
All I know is the Obamaniacs were fist pumping when he had his press conference announcing the tighter carbon emission measures. I particularly loved the part where he said coal production & plants were down 30% (apppppplllllllaaaaaauuuussse), replaced by fracking ( no applause, lol).

Old 07-19-2014, 08:52 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,822,656 times
What evidence is there that this action will condemn hundreds of thousands of marine animals to death? If this is true I would oppose it. Since Obama is usually to the left of me on environmental issues I am betting it is false.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:02 PM

9,130 posts, read 5,773,421 times
Speaking of condemning marine animals to death,
the government needs to stop the destruction of
prolific coral reefs and valuable fish habitat.

Every year for the next 20 years they will
remove 200 platforms from the Gulf.
Towers of Life - The ecosystems that surround offshore oil and gas platforms in the Gulf of Mexico
Ecorigs - Home
Help stop the insanity of the Department of Interior's "Idle Iron" policy to destroy Gulf of Mexico oil rigs | Sport Fishing

Oil Rigs Great for Marine Environment - YouTube
Without these structures, we are left with a flat featureless, lifeless bottom.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:07 PM

30,187 posts, read 23,594,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Obama opens East Coast to oil search, sonic cannons

Do you believe endangered species have intrinsic value ?

Do you believe it is wrong to kill hundreds of thousands of marine creatures
such as whales, dolphins, turtles and many others ?

Do you believe that oil is an overexploited 19th century technology which
lost its value as a mode of progress for human civilization, while far more
advanced technologies are available but are being suppressed out of callous greed
by our industrialist elites and their brown-nosing political puppets ?

Do you believe that endangering the eastern seaboard of the United States
to a catastrophic oil spill, or sea floor earthquake is unnecessary, and that there
were and still are valid reasons why this ban existed and should still be enforced ?

Do you believe that agenda-driven elites keep us enslaved with promises of jobs,
regardless of what the jobs actually are doing, and that jobs for jobs sake alone
is not moral; that humanity should rise above this form of economic abuse ?

Do you believe that it is our responsibility as stewards of this Earth to care for
this precious, perhaps totally unique world and preserve what's left of its former
glory for future generations and for the sake of our animal friends ?

Well, that's really too bad. If you believe these things, you lost.
And if you live from Florida to Delaware, enjoy the carnage and perhaps
the destruction of your coastline some day.
Thank Obamination.
I'm torn on this issue. On the one hand, we need to stop relying on foreign oil, all it does it get us in to messes. On the other hand, it pisses me off when we kill animals so that we can have a cushy, comfy life.

Having said that, that clown in the WH is just a puppet. He's the one they chose to put up front and get people to vote so that the real POS could destroy whatever they can, and keep lining their pockets, and their buddies pockets. That clown is just there for show.

We also have ourselves to blame. We consume a LOT of oil. We refuse to alternate our lifestyles. We don't want to be inconvenienced, and we want everything right now. Because of our wants, and our 'gimme, gimme, gimme' attitude, where we think we deserve everything, we destroy far too much. It is also our fault...every single last one of us, no matter how we vote.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:12 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,379,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What evidence is there that this action will condemn hundreds of thousands of marine animals to death? If this is true I would oppose it. Since Obama is usually to the left of me on environmental issues I am betting it is false.
We heard the exact same hysterical lies when they were building the Trans-Alaska pipeline in 1977. "You will kill all the caribou!"

Congress even went so far as to require sections of the pipeline be buried (in permafrost no less) so that the caribou can cross. Significantly increasing the cost of the project.

As it turns out, the caribou populations on the north slope are eight times greater today than they were in 1977, they love hanging out by the pipeline because it is the only shelter and source of warmth to be found for hundreds of miles, and they are safe from human hunters.

These are the exact same kind of hysterical lies from the same brain-damaged liberal freaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies