Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 02:30 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times

Advertisements

It's the times. Patriot Act was a biggie, technology (those pesky TOS's) are too. We haven't LIVED in "these kind of times" before so it's pretty hard to compare Obama to someone from, say, the 1950's when nobody had anything to spy on, or with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 02:32 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
During the debate over the Patriot Act, secret courts, and domestic spying in the aftermath of 9-11, a frequent quote from Benjamin Franklin was bandied about: “Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

Many Democrats and liberal opposed the Patriot Act and related legislations and laws, but the Bush Administration and Fox News in particular made those in opposition seem like appeasers to terrorist or unpatriotic. If the Republicans and conservatives who remember those times and are honest with themselves, they know this statement to be true.

The opposition was based not only that our individual freedoms were being eroded, but that as time goes on these powers would gradually expand or be ripe for abuse.

We now kow that NSA has been engaged in massive domestic spying. President Obama has expanded powers and the next president will have even greater powers. Regardless of party affiliation at some point this legislation need to be recinded or as in the case of the Patriot Act allow to expire.

Oh I remember it quite well. I had to have a Patriot Act sign on my desk (worked in financial services). The level of disclosure to the government went absurdly up.

I remember it distinctly and I recall thinking to myself that this was the beginning of something awful in this country.

It was at about this point I vowed to never again tow any party line- I became a staunch independent. This is not about politics any longer. This issue is not about Red or Blue, it's about the Red White and Blue.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:37 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
It's amazing to watch Liberals (well they're not actually Liberals if they defend this are they?) defend Obama on his invasions of our privacy & lack of transparency. He is the absolute worst President in our history in regards to privacy invasion & transparency, despite billing himself as the opposite (just like his corporate ties/appointees). He's extended the 'Patriot Act', he allowed NSA domestic spying, he's developed a secret kill list of US citizens, we can now indefinitely detain US citizens, his first order of business was giving the security contract in our airports to Bush's boy Michael Chertoff & RapiScan, the company he now pimps so that children & the elderly are being strip searched at our airports, we're still running secret torture prisons, etc. etc.

Every President is an escalation of the previous one, but that's a cop out & everyone knows it. Obama promised to be the one that would reverse the trend & instead has become the worst enemy the people could ever have in terms of stealing our privacy & cloaking what his Admin is doing. It's not even debatable.
Is this some kind of a joke?

This has been the most transparent administration in the history of the world. We know more about our government than than ever, and our government knows more about us than ever. If you want to blame something, blame technology. Also, the government fails in comparison to the private sector in regards to invading privacy these days.

IMO, it's going to reach a point that people will literally have no privacy, due to increases in technology.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:49 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Oh I remember it quite well. I had to have a Patriot Act sign on my desk (worked in financial services). The level of disclosure to the government went absurdly up.

I remember it distinctly and I recall thinking to myself that this was the beginning of something awful in this country.

It was at about this point I vowed to never again tow any party line- I became a staunch independent. This is not about politics any longer. This issue is not about Red or Blue, it's about the Red White and Blue.
I wholeheartedly agee with you and others with similar sentiments. Individual freedom and invasive governmental intrusion into our private lives is not, nor should it ever be, a liberal or conservative issue. It is, as you poetically point out, an American issue.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:58 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Is this some kind of a joke?

This has been the most transparent administration in the history of the world. We know more about our government than than ever, and our government knows more about us than ever. If you want to blame something, blame technology. Also, the government fails in comparison to the private sector in regards to invading privacy these days.

IMO, it's going to reach a point that people will literally have no privacy, due to increases in technology.
That depends on what laws we enact. A lot of the privacy invasion stuff that happens here in the private sector is illegal in much of Europe.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:59 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I wholeheartedly agee with you and others with similar sentiments. Individual freedom and invasive governmental intrusion into our private lives is not, nor should it ever be, a liberal or conservative issue. It is, as you poetically point out, an American issue.
I found it absolutely perverse to wrap that legislation with the term 'Patriot'. I found it even more perverse to call critics 'anti-patriotic'. If anything those who stood against it, warned about it, and cried foul about it are the true bearers of that torch.

It was such an enormous load of BS heaped onto us.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:53 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,227,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
WE do have a right to privacy. The difference is that you sign away your rights in the ToS, just like you did here on C-D. The government doesn't ask if it's okay, and when they TAKE OUR DATA without warrant they are breaking the law.

It's one thing to want a big government that "takes care of everyone" (snark) and quite another to give up all rights and protections believing that people would remain safe from it.
So I can look at the Bill of Rights and find this right to privacy that we have?

We have a sense of privacy and feel we're entitled to it, but don't fool yourself - we don't have a RIGHT to privacy.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:58 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
So I can look at the Bill of Rights and find this right to privacy that we have?

We have a sense of privacy and feel we're entitled to it, but don't fool yourself - we don't have a RIGHT to privacy.
If you didnt have a right to privacy then the 4th amendment wouldnt exist

Old 07-19-2014, 04:51 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,227,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
If you didnt have a right to privacy then the 4th amendment wouldnt exist
Unreasonable search and seizures =/= right to privacy. It just means we're protected from unreasonable search and seizures.

We have a sense of entitlement when it comes to privacy. Please point out specifically in the Bill of Rights where it says "Americans have a right to privacy". Those exact words.

Didn't think so.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:58 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Unreasonable search and seizures =/= right to privacy. It just means we're protected from unreasonable search and seizures.

We have a sense of entitlement when it comes to privacy. Please point out specifically in the Bill of Rights where it says "Americans have a right to privacy". Those exact words.

Didn't think so.
Really?

So, on what grounds is Roe v Wade constitutional?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies