Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 03:42 PM

129 posts, read 83,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
SeanMC If it is so bad why not move? I mean if you are so ashmend of our country then we do not need you here!!! because we are people that fight for our freedom thats what we do and will always do!!!!
Fighting for freedom?. Are we even talking about the same war?. What you do and always will do is believe any crap your leaders tell you with a quick snap of the heels and a loud JAWOHL!. As proven by your 'fighting for freedom' & 'why don't you leave the country' comments.

MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 12-20-2007 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: english only in posting

Old 12-20-2007, 03:51 PM

229 posts, read 169,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
I can certainly relate to the American citizen who is drafted and forced to go overseas in order to slaughter people against whom we have no legitimate beef. He/she has no choice but to go and is as much a victim as the innocents they are forced to kill.

But someone who voluntarily signs-up to commit atrocities in exchange for some crappy college-funding or to 'learn a trade' (like blowing people up -lots of demand for that in the private sector ya know!) is a loser in my books right off the bat.

I remember reading an article fairly recently about some airforce douchebag who works M-F / 9am-5pm from a secret airbase in Nevada. His job?. Piloting a remote control bomber flying missions thousands of miles away in Iraq. He sits at a desk (I kid you not) with his coffee mug at hand and follows the directives of on-the-ground observers who help him 'pin-point' his targets. Totally clueless as to the accuracy of his spotters he simply annihilates whatever he is told to annihilate. "My bad" if it turns out the 'munitions depot' he just blew-up turned out to actually be just a childrens hospital or powdered-milk factory. Then this guy goes home every night, hugs his kids and they probably all sit around the dinner table while the wife asks him "Sooo, how was your day at the office honey?".

I can answer for him. "It was MURDER babe!".

SeanMC If it is so bad why not move? I mean if you are so ashmend of our country then we do not need you here!!! because we are people that fight for our freedom thats what we do and will always do!!!!
I think you are going off the edge here. Most of these kids joined up before Bush started his elective war, and the National Guard was never used for foreign wars before Bush decided on that stoke of genius. America has thousands of troops doing absolutely nothing in Korea, Germany, etc - why don't they get sent to Iraq? These kids were convicted for torture at Abu Grabe, rape-murder of a girl, and the killing of civillians, but the real blame has to go to Bush.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:54 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,138,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakijy View Post
I think you are going off the edge here. Most of these kids joined up before Bush started his elective war, and the National Guard was never used for foreign wars before Bush decided on that stoke of genius. America has thousands of troops doing absolutely nothing in Korea, Germany, etc - why don't they get sent to Iraq? These kids were convicted for torture at Abu Grabe, rape-murder of a girl, and the killing of civillians, but the real blame has to go to Bush.
I must correct a couple of things -

Many of the units in Europe have been rotated to the ME. And, as for the Guard and Reserves, the were used in previous wars - including Vietnam albeit on a more limited basis

Old 12-20-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Inasmuch as you obviously do not have children who are serving, you could not possibly understand how one could be opposed to the war yet, they can still support their child - an adult, who chose to go into the military.

I might have wanted my child to be a doctor or lawyer. But instead, THEY DECIDED to become a ditch digger. Did that make me happy? No. But, if it made THEM happy, then I can support THEIR decision.

Like I said, you could not possibly understand

OBTW, just an aside to add to your "quandary": My son, and his wife, are both career military. My son is now on his 5th tour in the ME - he left Kuwait today to go into the hills of Afghanistan -

A few years ago, both my son and his wife, were mutually deployed - both gone at the same time. They have two sons - at the time they were 7 and 9 years of age. Because both parents were gone, I became "Mr. Mom" for 11 months.

Now, what would you do? Criticize their parents - tell the kids their parents were doing something wrong? Or, if you were me, would you support your son, and his wife, and pass along those positives to their children - your grandchildren?

What would YOU do?
Well thanks at least for clarifying right off the bat that you are totally biased and partial in this debate given that your family is so personally involved with the American war machine. Had your children become ditch-diggers as you say then their actions would have had no criminal impacts on others and I would be left with nothing to add.

But they're not ditch-diggers. They chose to live by the sword instead. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they signed-up for good reasons but the fact remains that they are being USED for the wrong reasons.

What would I do?. Well, none of my relatives have chosen to sign-up for military service under the leadership of a DUNCE to begin with so I am not faced with that problem.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMc View Post
What would I do?. Well, none of my relatives have chosen to sign-up for military service under the leadership of a DUNCE to begin with so I am not faced with that problem.
Well - even though you are not "faced with that problem", you can still give an opinion. If you were in the same situation as I was, what would you do?

And yes, they signed up for the "right reasons" - to serve their country. And, they signed up before the present administration - Long before. Both happen to be in Medicine - they are not only helping / treating / saving the troops but, also the locale population. And, I'm not talking about the locals who were wounded, but those who have NEVER had any medical care.

Want to try to answer the question I posed to you?

BTW, what did you think about the rescue at sea the other day of that young lady, on board a cruise ship, by the USS Ronald Reagan - they saved her life.

I guess they, the crew, were being USED for the wrong reasons (your words). I guess they should not have saved her -

Old 12-20-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Well - even though you are not "faced with that problem", you can still give an opinion. If you were in the same situation as I was, what would you do?

And yes, they signed up for the "right reasons" - to serve their country. And, they signed up before the present administration - Long before. Both happen to be in Medicine - they are not only helping / treating / saving the troops but, also the locale population. And, I'm not talking about the locals who were wounded, but those who have NEVER had any medical care.

Want to try to answer the question I posed to you?

BTW, what did you think about the rescue at sea the other day of that young lady, on board a cruise ship, by the USS Ronald Reagan - they saved her life.

I guess they, the crew, were being USED for the wrong reasons (your words). I guess they should not have saved her -
What I would do is what I'm doing right now; oppose a foreign war of invasion. I would maintain my objectivity irregardless of whether uncle Bob was part of it.

And in YOUR specific situation I would be PROUD. What your family is doing is commendable from every viewpoint. They may be wearing uniforms but under Hippocratic Oath. The type of service they render transcends frontiers and nationalities and one could easily argue they are doing GOD'S work ..not Bush's. They're not killing lives but saving them.

I have nothing but admiration & sympathy for them. Their situation is certainly non-typical for the purposes of this discussion. Their job is precisely to undue the damage wreaked by the other 97.5% of the armed forces. I would never lump them in with other service members nor should they be nor can they be. God bless them.

As for the woman saved by the Ronald McDonald, so what?. It's the duty of every ship at sea to render assistance to vessels in distress. I pulled a stranded jet-skier out of Long Island Sound once. Do I get the Blue Max?.

Regards.

Last edited by SeanMc; 12-20-2007 at 05:07 PM..

Old 12-20-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
What I would do is what I'm doing right now; oppose a foreign war of invasion. I would maintain my objectivity irregardless of whether uncle Bob was part of it.

And in YOUR specific situation I would be PROUD. What your family is doing is commendable from every viewpoint. They may be wearing uniforms but under Hippocratic Oath.
You do realize that Docs carry weapons, don't you? They are soldiers first - and, if need be, they will use their weapons to protect themselves, their patients and their fellow service members

Old 12-20-2007, 05:29 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,623,007 times
I agree what the doctors do there is commendable. SeanMc, do you support Ron Paul for president?

Old 12-20-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
You do realize that Docs carry weapons, don't you? They are soldiers first - and, if need be, they will use their weapons to protect themselves, their patients and their fellow service members

Well you just burst my bubble then. We're back to square one.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Well you just burst my bubble then. We're back to square one.
You really did not know this??

I am honestly surprised - it is really very common knowledge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies