Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:43 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,398,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMc View Post
"Oh you better not cry

Wanna help the Iraqi people?. Give them the gift that 'keeps on giving': Get the hell out of there.

MOD CUT
so helping them involves letting the country get taken by ruthless, people, that would put them back under the type of government that was killing people for speaking against the government, or for practicing things typicaly reserved for other countries, such as getting online, owning a house, watching tv on sat.? let them get back to fearing the government, being thrown into human meat grinders, or being poisoned by the government with toxic gasses?

wow, just plain wow.

the "me me me" syndrome continues, and lack of human compassion and understanding takes a back seat to your retoric

Old 12-20-2007, 09:51 PM

129 posts, read 83,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
I would like you to as well, post actual facts, several times you had used the "guy sitting in a seat in a base, killing people by remote control airplane" thing. Well hate to burst your bubble, the troops that do fly the drones are in the field, they are in a mobile ground unit, and the drones they fly are reconnaissance only, they do not carry weapons, or bombs.

you are quick to point out when someone misses a fact, or does not give evidence, but yet you do not give facts nor do you post evidence other

"It's still pitch black outside — "o'dark thirty," as the military would say — when Air Force Capt. Lamont Anderson heads out to work. He walks out of his Las Vegas condo quietly; his wife and newborn daughter are still in bed.
He hops in his car and drives north on a highway that cuts through a wasteland of sagebrush. In the hazy distance are the dry and craggy peaks of the Spring Range. As the sun begins to rise, Anderson turns into Creech Air Force Base.
There, in the Nevada desert, Anderson is training to become a "commuter combat pilot" — one of an increasing number of Air Force pilots who have hopped out of the cockpit but are still flying combat missions over Iraq and Afghanistan.
In the coming weeks, Anderson will complete his training on the Predator. The 26-foot-long, remote-controlled aircraft, or drone, carries a video camera and twin Hellfire missiles.
The Predator is an ungainly aircraft, with a bulbous head and long, thin wings. The tail flaps are angled down. It looks like a bad high school science project. But it's also becoming more and more popular with commanders on the ground. Just a few years ago, there were only about 35 Predator pilots. By next year, there will be nearly 160."

The story goes on to tell how the pilot operates remotely in Afganistan by guiding predators from his office in Nevada;

"And Anderson admits that firing a missile from thousands of miles away also nags at him.
"I'm so far removed," he says. "Here we are at a remote location, far away from the battlefield. I can't really see — I can't physically put my eyes on it. I have a camera."
Anderson says that before he fires any missile, a superior officer near the battlefield will have to give the OK. And the decision will not just be based on a Predator's pictures. Intelligence analysts and sources, soldiers on the ground watching a target — all are supposed to work together to prevent mistakes.
"Whatever shot I may have to take, I feel confident that it's going to be the correct thing to do, considering the circumstances," he says."
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=14162045

I said it before and I'll say it again; it is extremely frustrating to debate the un-informed.

Last edited by SeanMc; 12-20-2007 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-20-2007, 09:55 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,187,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
greatday - thanks for making that sacrifice. You are a guy that obviously commits himself to causes he believes in with action. Damn nice gesture.
Please - no thanks needed - or wanted.

I'm just glad that I was able to give back a little - these troops and their families are the ones making the sacrifices -

Besides - flying into Baghdad on a C-130 is thrilling enough but when the load master tells you to lie flat on the deck before landing and then you hear the "plink, plink" of shells hitting the aircraft, it makes you wish for the old "bring your seat backs to their full and upright positions" sound really good!

Old 12-20-2007, 10:07 PM

240 posts, read 468,772 times
Hey Greatday,

When were you there? If you already posted this, sorry to many to backtrack on. Did you volunteer with Red Cross?

Old 12-20-2007, 10:19 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,398,802 times
Quote:
"It's still pitch black outside — "o'dark thirty," as the military would say — when Air Force Capt. Lamont Anderson heads out to work. He walks out of his Las Vegas condo quietly; his wife and newborn daughter are still in bed.
He hops in his car and drives north on a highway that cuts through a wasteland of sagebrush. In the hazy distance are the dry and craggy peaks of the Spring Range. As the sun begins to rise, Anderson turns into Creech Air Force Base.
There, in the Nevada desert, Anderson is training to become a "commuter combat pilot" — one of an increasing number of Air Force pilots who have hopped out of the cockpit but are still flying combat missions over Iraq and Afghanistan.
In the coming weeks, Anderson will complete his training on the Predator. The 26-foot-long, remote-controlled aircraft, or drone, carries a video camera and twin Hellfire missiles.
The Predator is an ungainly aircraft, with a bulbous head and long, thin wings. The tail flaps are angled down. It looks like a bad high school science project. But it's also becoming more and more popular with commanders on the ground. Just a few years ago, there were only about 35 Predator pilots. By next year, there will be nearly 160."

The story goes on to tell how the pilot operates remotely in Afganistan by guiding predators from his office in Nevada;

"And Anderson admits that firing a missile from thousands of miles away also nags at him.
"I'm so far removed," he says. "Here we are at a remote location, far away from the battlefield. I can't really see — I can't physically put my eyes on it. I have a camera."
Anderson says that before he fires any missile, a superior officer near the battlefield will have to give the OK. And the decision will not just be based on a Predator's pictures. Intelligence analysts and sources, soldiers on the ground watching a target — all are supposed to work together to prevent mistakes.
"Whatever shot I may have to take, I feel confident that it's going to be the correct thing to do, considering the circumstances," he says."

I said it before and I'll say it again; it is extremely frustrating to debate the un-informed.
the unarmed versions of the predator aircraft have been observing only, they have been deployed since the beginging of the war, earlyer this year they started to deploy in small numbers armed versions called the Reaper, they can carry up to 2 helfire missles, or one 500lb bomb. they started deploying 5 months ago. there are failsafes in place, you need the order to open fire (just like you would in a manned aircraft combat) you need ground troops to have the enemy targeted. Sure mistakes might happen, i would rather that one of these drones be shot down, than a squad of our men killed.

btw, im still waiting for your response to the rest of my first post regarding Iraqi people freedoms.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/ne...f-predator.htm
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=28b_1193082449
http://www.defensetech.org/archives/003714.html
http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/17560

Old 12-20-2007, 10:51 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,085,776 times
Quote:
I can certainly relate to the American citizen who is drafted and forced to go overseas in order to slaughter people against whom we have no legitimate beef. He/she has no choice but to go and is as much a victim as the innocents they are forced to kill.

But someone who voluntarily signs-up to commit atrocities in exchange for some crappy college-funding or to 'learn a trade' (like blowing people up -lots of demand for that in the private sector ya know!) is a loser in my books right off the bat.

I remember reading an article fairly recently about some airforce douchebag who works M-F / 9am-5pm from a secret airbase in Nevada. His job?. Piloting a remote control bomber flying missions thousands of miles away in Iraq. He sits at a desk (I kid you not) with his coffee mug at hand and follows the directives of on-the-ground observers who help him 'pin-point' his targets. Totally clueless as to the accuracy of his spotters he simply annihilates whatever he is told to annihilate. "My bad" if it turns out the 'munitions depot' he just blew-up turned out to actually be just a childrens hospital or powdered-milk factory. Then this guy goes home every night, hugs his kids and they probably all sit around the dinner table while the wife asks him "Sooo, how was your day at the office honey?".

I can answer for him. "It was MURDER babe!".
Sign up or drafted, military is fighting for America, and is a noble cause to risk your life for your own country. Where would America be now if people refused to fight in our world wars, civil wars??

Old 12-21-2007, 01:18 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,436,799 times
Quote:

Been to Iraq. Actually worked right next door to the Predator squadron. Even went over there for a visit one time and got the grand tour. You know what's funny? They have that same control center in Las Vegas as they do in Iraq. You know what's even funnier? There are pilots that are flying the aircraft from that center in Iraq.

You know what's even funnier? They're doing it as the Iraqi's are launching mortars over the fence. But, you didn't mention that either did you?

A typical configuration, but not always, is one where the 'flight crew' in Iraq taxis the aircraft, takes off, and gets to an assigned altitude. Sometimes, but not always, they switch over command to the Las Vegas center via satellite. The reason for this is so that they can have the maximum amount of aircraft being 'piloted' simultaneously.

Oh, you know what else you forgot to mention? Those crews that are in Iraq aren't really assigned to Iraq. You know where they're stationed? Yep, Las Vegas. So guess what? They do tours of duty in Iraq. They are on a constant rotation in and out (I think typically 4 months in country, 4 months out, but that's subject to change). So the guy who's flying from his base in Las Vegas may very well be headed to Iraq the very next month.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:27 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,627,374 times
Very relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo08 View Post
I love a man in a uniform! HMMMMMMMMMMMMM! It gets me everytime.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:34 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,627,374 times
Have you wondered why Ron Paul is leading the miltary donations among the Republican presidential candidates?

Old 12-21-2007, 01:49 AM

3 posts, read 6,418 times
Tisk Tisk SeanMc Oh my god.
Are there really "anti-war, spit on our troops, it's a conspiracy man, hell-no-we won't go" hippies still walking the earth? I thought they all got absorbed in the corporate machine man. Wow, it's so refreshing to see some relics have survived the 80's and 90's to enlighten us of our lack of knowledge. Or are we just quoting your second year Poly-Sci teacher at community college. That would really disappoint me. Hmm, I would suspect the latter.
A Soldier accidently hoses a baby carriage because mom is holding a detonator and it's on every front page. And you feed on it.
Eight troops get killed by an IED and you say "oh well they shouldn't have been there". Well, maybe they shouldn't be, but they are and you can bet if your daddy was there MIA (civilian or military) you'd be parked on the Secretary's front lawn demanding to send troops to find him.
Osama was not concerned with destroying us, he knew we are capable of doing that ourselves. Protesting the war and dumping on our troops only feeds it. Don't do it, please. If you play into it your just as ignorant as the people strap a bomb to their waist.
I really don't want to live through another post-Vietnam. Thank our troops.
It's doubtful you would be driving your daddy's BMW without them... unless you really are a Hippie. My apologies.:-0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies