Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 04:20 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,635,158 times

Advertisements

Please make a distinction between the original real (paleo)-conservatives who have always upheld the constitution and the former Trotskyites who pass themselves off ass (neo)-conservatives. The formed are against any form of political correctness whereas the latter have used it as a tool to mislead people.

Interesting documentary: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/3755686.stm (you can find it in Google Video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Wow! I totally agree with what the origional poster is saying here. I find it funny that pro-war, "support the war and troops no matter what" conservatives are always bitching and moaning about political correctness, yet when the tables are turned they don't like it so much.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:24 PM

"Greater good", that reminds me of the movie Hot Fuzz. Whose greater good is this dirty war?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
To paint all with a negative stroke is not constructive, yet to excuse it all for the greater good is not constructive either. Both are too close minded in my opinion.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:24 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMc View Post
from Jim Henslin's Down to Earth Sociology;
http://books.google.com/books?id=LF2...8p8D8fmq_vQL-U

"It's easier if you catch them young. You can train older men to be soldiers; it's done in every major war. But you can never get them to believe that they like it, which is the major reasons armies try to get their recruits before they're 20. There are other reasons too, like the physical fitness, lack of dependants and economic dispensability of teenagers, that make armies prefer them, but the most important qualities teenagers bring to basic training are enthusiasm and naivete. Many of them actively want the discipline and closely structured that the armed forces will provide, so there is no need to deceive the kids about what will happen to them after they join."

Sociology 101. Has anyone here ever been to college?.
Have you? Where did you go? Can I see proof, because I don't believe it, unless you went to Berkeley or UCSF--then I might consider it.

Mr. Henslin doesn't say anything that disputes what I said--despite his OBVIOUS bias (and yes, I know who he is--hugely liberal). I'm confused as to why you feel that it lends some sort of validity to your argument.

But hey, maybe you could enlighten me. Doubtful, but miracles happen.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:25 PM

129 posts, read 83,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Folks, SeanMc and I must have something in common. Flashback to 1969, a young American is hung out to dry for a massacre of civilians. He was destroyed, imprisoned, and paid dearly for it.

Then it was Beruit, Panama, Grenada, NYC, DC, & PA.

As a young flaming McGovern Democrat, I learned the truth and have become aware of the mistakes I made as a young man. Maybe, SeanMc, will someday appreciate that he could write and publish such an essay here in the Good Ol' USA. I wonder in how many of the other nations of our Earth he could be so bold?
I love the way people pull out the ol' "this is the greatest country in the world" argument. Pull it straight out of their arses apparently because most of the people who say that have never lived anywhere else their entire lives.

I've lived in several countries myself and have in fact found that most enjoy MORE freedom than the US when it comes to allowing the expression of dissenting opinions and criticism of government. You should hear the language and insults that Europeans and Latin Americans regularly spew freely against their governments. Sometimes even openly insulting public figures without fear of lawsuits or arrest.

Political correctness is definitely an American disease and the US is definitely poorer thanks to it.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:27 PM

No worries, this thread is going fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I was posting when your previous post went on so I missed it.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:29 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
"Greater good", that reminds me of the movie Hot Fuzz. Whose greater good is this dirty war?
Oh come on, that was just a movie in which a secret cadre of powerful people were trying to control the fabric of their society to paint it in a light to make the facade presentable to the outside viewers, yet below the surface the faded images of past transgressions existed.

Wait, was that a documentary now?

Old 12-19-2007, 04:30 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
I love the way people pull out the ol' "this is the greatest country in the world" argument. Pull it straight out of their arses apparently because most of them have never lived anywhere else their whole lives.

I've lived in several countries myself and have in fact found that most enjoy MORE freedom than the US when it comes to allowing the expression of dissenting opinions and criticism of government. You should hear the language and insults that Europeans and Latin Americans regularly spew freely against their governments. Sometimes even openly insulting public figures without fear of lawsuits or arrest.

Political correctness is definitely an American disease and the US is definitely poorer thanks to it.
Oh my lord.

*shakes head*

Okay, I'm done. Debating with people like SeanMc is like mud-wrestling with a pig. The pig likes it, and you just get dirty.

Moving on to other threads and finding my ignore button...

Old 12-19-2007, 04:31 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
Quote:
I can certainly relate to the American citizen who is drafted and forced to go overseas in order to slaughter people against whom we have no legitimate beef. He/she has no choice but to go and is as much a victim as the innocents they are forced to kill.

But someone who voluntarily signs-up to commit atrocities [b]in exchange for some crappy college-funding or to 'learn a trade' [/B](like blowing people up -lots of demand for that in the private sector ya know!) is a loser in my books right off the bat.
I really find this offense to our service men who "sign-up" to defend your country for you. You only have the freedoms you enjoy because of people like them, and no one is asking you to appreciate what they do but to denigrate them as you have is very disturbing

Old 12-19-2007, 04:31 PM

It doesn't matter. I don't understand how these logical fallacies will lead us anywhere with the discussion. http://www.csun.edu/~dgw61315/fallacies.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Have you? Where did you go? Can I see proof, because I don't believe it, unless you went to Berkeley or UCSF--then I might consider it.

Mr. Henslin doesn't say anything that disputes what I said--despite his OBVIOUS bias (and yes, I know who he is--hugely liberal). I'm confused as to why you feel that it lends some sort of validity to your argument.

But hey, maybe you could enlighten me. Doubtful, but miracles happen.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:33 PM

129 posts, read 83,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Oh my lord.

*shakes head*

Okay, I'm done. Debating with people like SeanMc is like mud-wrestling with a pig. The pig likes it, and you just get dirty.

Moving on to other threads and finding my ignore button...

YES!. When faced with inconvenient facts the good ol' "ignore" button sure helps make things "right" again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies