Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the Iraq war legitimate?
Yes 22 37.29%
No 37 62.71%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 05:24 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,222 times

Advertisements

1. Please discuss the legitimacy of the Iraq war (if possible as much as you can give references to back up your claims) which began in 2003.

2. What action should be taken against American political and military leaders and soldiers who have committed atrocities in Iraq?

I have given my opinion in the thread http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...thize-our.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 03:28 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
1. Please discuss the legitimacy of the Iraq war (if possible as much as you can give references to back up your claims) which began in 2003.

2. What action should be taken against American political and military leaders and soldiers who have committed atrocities in Iraq?

I have given my opinion in the thread http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...thize-our.html

i don't really agree with it, because of a few simple facts. we are taking the words of a politician, and using them to justify killing other people. in essence, the killing of the "enemy" depends on whether or not a couple of politicians on the make are telling you the whole truth.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:50 AM

229 posts, read 170,437 times
Default We can start with over 1 million deaths

Over a million needless deaths in Iraq. I think even Sadaam would have a hard time pulling that off, but Bush and his war machine did.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:31 AM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,173 times
“One death is a tragedy; a million is a statistic.” Joseph Stalin

It is interesting to think that many who support the war seem to view all iraqi deaths as a statistic. There is no “innocent civilians” within the statistic, it’s just an abstract number thrown about without concern that it is person, a person who was a mother, a sister, a brother, a father, a grandparent, a child.

What I find amazing though is if you show a picture of the death of an innocent civilian iraqi child by the US military, the uproar you hear is not about the actions of the military but the news for reporting it. Compare that to the response you hear if it is the image of a dead US soldier who died in combat.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:37 AM

I have added a poll. Please vote.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:45 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,325,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakijy View Post
Over a million needless deaths in Iraq. I think even Sadaam would have a hard time pulling that off, but Bush and his war machine did.
The terrorists killed 90% of those Iraqis. President Bush will down in World History as a hero.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:30 PM

Let us assume your statement is correct. Would the insurgents been in Iraq to cause damage if USA had not invaded the country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
The terrorists killed 90% of those Iraqis. President Bush will down in World History as a hero.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:29 AM

229 posts, read 170,437 times
Quote:
Sorry, you are just wrong. I belive that hundreds of thousands more have been killed by high altitude bombing and general raids, like at Fallujah. Many were killed by the Sunnui-Shia violence, but this conflict was encouraged by American policies, like the disbanding of the police and army, which left no law-enforment structure in place, and gave the age-old conflict free rein. Sadaam had controlled it, Bush didn't even know the difference between the two groups. Who are the 'terrorists' you speak of? The Sunni? The Shia? There was NO AL QAEDA in Iraq before the invasion. Sadaam hated them and killed any he found. Are Iraqis who saw their children or parents murdered by American troops and then picked up the gun, the 'terrorists' you describe. if the same had happened to you, would you have been a 'terrorist' then? Americans think that Iraq was some po-dunk backward country. In fact it was very modern and progressive, and the Iraqi woman had more rights than in typical Moslem countries. I guess Bush and the neo-cons 'liberated' them by killing them.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:49 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,469,184 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'll look for that the next time General Giap publishes his memoirs...

Old 12-24-2007, 01:04 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,818 times
another thing that i find pretty suspicious is that Cheney is going to make more money than MOD CUT, because by some rare coincidence the company that he is president of gets the contracts to rebuild iraq and Afghanistan.

couple that with the fact that this cabinet is just a bunch of politicians... anyone who thinks that there isn't even a chance that something is going on with that has their head in a place where the air isn't very fresh.

it's the old question of what would you do for a million dollars? well this is what would a politician do for several million dollars?

Last edited by NewToCA; 12-26-2007 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies