Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 09:04 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
This is about the tenth thread on this since the election. The right wingers who are rolling out this tripe are the same one's who endlessly bray on an on about much more patriotic they are than everyone else. The stench of hypocrisy is getting thick. The country will carry on, but someone should open a window.
Here's the thing, I'm actually not a "right winger" and I don't think it does anything to help the debate by throwing around labels. Discuss the idea on its merits.

Also, since I am new this board (not to C-D, just mostly posted elsewhere before now), I apologize if this has been discussed before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 09:07 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Here's the thing, I'm actually not a "right winger" and I don't think it does anything to help the debate by throwing around labels. Discuss the idea on its merits.

Also, since I am new this board (not to C-D, just mostly posted elsewhere before now), I apologize if this has been discussed before.
It is an interesting topic to discuss. Don't let the naysayers get to you. Welcome!

Old 07-20-2014, 09:26 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Wrong.

"Unity" imposed by central power created the collapse of the Soviet Union.

The United States were united for a common defense, and our unity was our agreement on liberty.

Liberalism has destroyed all semblance of unity.

Sheesh, lay off the talk radio dude.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:28 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
America needs to break up. We are too fragmented socially, politically and culturally. The federal government has gotten too powerful. Most Americans are not happy with the path that we are taking.

No one that says that they believe in freedom and democracy should be against the concept of separation. It will only be tyranny that holds us together.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:30 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockeyfan View Post
Yes..? Dollars are an IOU note. It's how paper money works. And it's still the currency of choice for many international transactions and reserves.
For the moment.. At one time it was the British Sterling until they devaluated their currency. Sound familiar?

Old 07-20-2014, 09:33 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The dollar is backed by the world's largest GDP. Ca-ching.
If you break up that GDP by dividing the country, what is your new GDP? What would be the backing? It would be tremendously reduced by the other countries leaving..

Old 07-20-2014, 09:37 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Once Obama leaves office and the new president has an appearance more to "some people's" liking, all this breakup talk will end.
We can always count on the racists to make themselves known. It's sad how some people view everything through such racists filters. No one could possibly think the US should be split for any other reason than the color of the presidents skin, and no on ever mementioned it before 2008.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:38 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
America needs to break up. We are too fragmented socially, politically and culturally. The federal government has gotten too powerful. Most Americans are not happy with the path that we are taking.

No one that says that they believe in freedom and democracy should be against the concept of separation. It will only be tyranny that holds us together.
Agreed. We are no longer one nation culturally, religiously, racially, or any other way. We are already severely fragmented held together with the federal duct tape

Old 07-20-2014, 09:51 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The human race went from living in caves, in small pockets being afraid of everything. They evolved into hunter gatherers who worked as extended family teams to bring down game. They evolved further into communities who gathered, hunted and produced agriculture for the benefit of all. The historical projection forward of our species has always been to provide more unity, not less.
The human cycle has moved inextricably forward from there, evolving into towns, communities and states. Look at our history
We as a race have constantly strived for unity, even while killing each other, en mass.
We as a nation created the concept that all men can live together with equality and a place for all. It was a new concept only provided by a relatively empty continent to raise our culture of unified diversity. Now you seem to want to roll all this back to a predatory society that say's there is no common ground and we are all groups of adversaries under the flesh.
I, for one refuse to believe it, abide by it, or endorse it, and will continue to advocate for equality and unity for all mankind in the society our founders created. It is truly precious and the key to humankind's development
Our goal as a species is to realize a true understanding of the human condition and that understanding leads to a universal unity that will allow us to travel the universe and realize concepts unknowable. What we know now is so far beyond what we knew 500 years ago. What we will know as a species in 500 years, will be light years from what we know now.
Without that unity, we are just a loose affiliation of tribal entities with over riding self interests who go nowhere in the larger scheme of things. For without unity and common ground there is no movement of the species. We are nothing by technologically adept pond scum. We have moved way beyond stagnant pond scum.
My God, Man! Why do you think we were put here? Haven't you read the bible? Any of the ancient, sacred books?
To break up the United States of America is to destroy the point of the arrow, in humanity's development and take all of humanity backwards.
I'm sure that makes you feel good and maybe even special, but that is not the reality of the world. Wishing for unity doesn't make it happen or even desirable. What unity do I have with others who may hate me for my beliefs, ethnicity, religion or lifestyle? I'd rather us voluntarily find unity with those that we share something in common with, instead of trying to force unity at the barrel of a gun.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:52 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
lol, got to love some people. They'll find racism in everything. They must keep it alive, for if it dies, they will quite simply be without purpose { and without excuse, I might add }
Sad and pathetic but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies