U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 09:58 PM

311 posts, read 551,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
What is your deal with east Africa??

Did you visit there on vacation or something? Did you also visit the areas OTHER than where your tour guide took you? You will never convince me that the continent of Africa in general is a place to visit. You may be fooled, (of fooling yourself) Im not.
I have visited Egypt twice, but wouldn't be heading that way at this point in time! We had a great trip (tour) the first time and went back two years later to do it on our own. The attitude towards Americans had changed somewhat, but the majority of the the people were friendly and they were all wanting the American money! I'm not out to "fool myself or anyone else" this is just a comment on Africa. We wanted to go, we enjoyed it, repeated it, and that was what we wanted to do. The Egyptians were fabulous builders

Old 11-09-2006, 10:34 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,040,451 times
I'll concur with Whitney's overview of Egyptians as squeezers of the tourists. I'll also offer my comparison with the people of Kenya, whose attitude, even beyond the service industry, was more like "the tourists are our business partners." Egyptians: "get every penny while you can." Kenyans:"Let's make sure the tourists want to come back again to spend some more." I would if I could!

Old 11-10-2006, 03:34 AM

9,715 posts, read 13,012,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Heck, I saw more racism in LA and NYC than I do anywhere else in America. They are the two largest cities that are supposedly liberal kum ba ya folks that never stoop so low, however, where else can you go and have sections of ethnicity and "their" side of town than NYC and LA.
I live in LA and I don't really see the racial divisions. South Central is loaded with Latinos and Asians so it really isn't a "black" area. Even when the Rodney King riots happened, there were loads of Latinos involved in the rioting.

When people ask about nice "white" suburbs in LA, I can't think of any. The wealthy blacks in this town live right next to the wealthy whites. There is no division. OJ Simpson wasn't living in Compton when his wife was killed. They lived in Brentwood. Likewise, Aretha Franklin, Natalie Cole, Jeffrey Osborne -- they all live in good areas of the SFV. I live in a racially mixed area. I can't think of an area of LA that is really segregated though I can think of some areas that lean one way or another.

How much time did you spend in LA?

Old 11-10-2006, 07:02 AM

169 posts, read 618,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
When people ask about nice "white" suburbs in LA, I can't think of any. The wealthy blacks in this town live right next to the wealthy whites. There is no division.
That's the way everywhere should be.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:11 AM

2,816 posts, read 9,227,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I live in LA and I don't really see the racial divisions. South Central is loaded with Latinos and Asians so it really isn't a "black" area. Even when the Rodney King riots happened, there were loads of Latinos involved in the rioting.

When people ask about nice "white" suburbs in LA, I can't think of any. The wealthy blacks in this town live right next to the wealthy whites. There is no division. OJ Simpson wasn't living in Compton when his wife was killed. They lived in Brentwood. Likewise, Aretha Franklin, Natalie Cole, Jeffrey Osborne -- they all live in good areas of the SFV. I live in a racially mixed area. I can't think of an area of LA that is really segregated though I can think of some areas that lean one way or another.

How much time did you spend in LA?
Hardly any now UB with my recent transfer. I do spend much time in the NYC area, and lived there for a decade.
With 35 million, Cali is becoming a full blown melting pot but even today in NYC you don't see the inclusion. Yeah, they trumpet the diversity of Manhattan, but it's not. What you see is mostly tourist. Go into Brooklyn or Queens and you have the Jewish side, the black side, the Latino side, the Irish side, the Italian side, etc. Yes they are squeezed together but the dividing line is the street intersection.

My main point is the Southeast is always carrying the "racist" card, but 2006 is no longe 1966. Even in those days it was Watts, Baltimore, Chicago, Newark, and most everyplace but the southeast having the mayhem and riots.
Basically, you will have issues everywhere in regard to every race when you have those who fail in life looking for others to blame, rather it's a black person blaming whitey for his lifes issues, or the white redneck yelling that the black dude gets the job. Maybe if the black guy would pull his pants up and start talking english instead of ebonics he may succeed and if the red neck could lose the mullett and stop saying ain't got no and dun did then he may get the job. Just a couple of examples.

Until we all look in the mirror and ask what can we do to better ourselves instead of looking down on others or becoming victims of all color only then will harmony be obtained.

Regards

Old 11-10-2006, 09:12 AM

485 posts, read 1,327,971 times
UB50
I figured it was only a matter of time before someone pulled out the old Southern racist stereotype. Congratulations!! You're the winner!!

Old 11-10-2006, 07:52 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,046,673 times
Just to put my two cents in there....

there is no such thing as "reverse racism" only "racism."

This was a big lesson I learned in one of my college sociology classes. Let me explain it this way. According to the dictionary, here is the actual definition of racism:

"a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race"

Now. In order for there to be reverse racism like many people like to contend and imply, the definition would need to say that racism is white people having those thoughts/feelings towards blacks or others. It does not say that. There is NO color mentioned in the definition of racism. It makes no difference who the racism is toward, it's still racism. It's never "reverse" racism.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areyouserious? View Post
Well if you want to talk about numbers, WHITE PEOPLE have the most unwed mothers. White people sell the most dope, and white people commit the most crimes. Drive by's? No idea on that one. Percentages are another story, which is probably what he is referring to. Carry on.
Let's keep it in perspective. There are more whites doing these things simply because there are way more white people. The population breakdown in the U.S. is about 80 percent whilte and 12 black. So there are WAY more white people so it would stand to reason that there would be way more whites involeved in the above problems.

However, when you look at the percentage of whites versus the percentage of blacks that get involved in those types of activities then by far black people do those things more often as a whole. For example, the last statistic I heard reported that about 33 percent of white children are born to unwed parents, yet 70 percent of black ones are.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I'd like to say that I agree with many of the sentiments of AreYouSerious? . I'm a white southerner, and I grew up in an area that is almost exactly 50/50 black/white. Serveral things come to mind:

-In predominantly black movies, TV, and music, white people are portrayed as complete fools. Bob Marley and 2Pac openly profess their dislike/hatred for white people in their music (I know because I listen). Even on (formerly) popular shows like "Fresh Prince", white people are shown as inferior. Somehow this doesn't seem to be a problem with anyone.. ?

-The amount of black actors on Television/film is surely greater than 13%, which is the % of black people in America. The idea that blacks are under-represented is backwards.

-As a white southerner, everything I do, say, and think about race is considered wrong. I'm only "allowed" to have completely brainwashed and non-descript things to say about any race, regardless of the reality of where I live. This only further pushes me into my little "white group" where we can actually evaluate reality.

-Today's educational system (I finished college this year) is not at all like some people here have described. Every history class that I took in college (A large, public, convervative, southern university) was geared toward civil rights, and the plight of the black man in America. Did I learn about Japan, the Middle East, India, China, Native Americans, Scandanavians, or the Mongols? No. BOTH of my introductory history courses had 150+ people, black professors, and ancillary reading about the Civil Rights movement. Our history survey courses are basically black history masked as World & American history.

-At my place of business, we have a strong "affirmative action" policy. At the request of the US Gov't, by the way. Since I started, 4 white people have been fired, and no blacks. We've hired 7 new people, and only one was white - and he's disabled. My workplace is predominantly black, thanks to US Gov't policies. How is this not racist, can someone explain?

OK my rant is over. On a personal level, I'm friends with plenty of black folks, but on a political/social level, I get P.O'ed very easily.

Amen. I couldn't agree with your post more! Well said.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Civil war was not about slavery per se but about money.

The "north" region catered to the civil rights movement but in reality the north is more racist to minorities than the south on the basis knowing who doesn't like you and who does. For instance, would you rather know who is/are racist than not being able to tell?
Oh my gosh. Someone else that finally gets this! I have been telling people this for so long and nobody believes it. They just say what they were taught in school - that it was over slavery.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies