U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 01:52 PM

169 posts, read 616,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNIEK View Post
I really appreaciate the comments of UB50,CIL,AREYOUSERIOuS.I am a Black Woman and I do feel that their is a such thing as reverse racism.There is also traditional racism and subconcious racism as well that exist to this day.Every month is white history month as well as the majority of television shows cater to a white audience.What is wrong with having a channel that caters to African Americans or Hispanics?Everyone should have the opportunity to embrace their own culture and see themselves in positve roles reflected in the media .This doesn't not make us racist.The misrepresentation of minorites in TV and our history books only fuels the need to have these seperate history months\celebrations\cable channels.When minorities are represented accurately in the media and through our history classes then tell me that we do not need these things.
Very well said Winnie.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:07 PM

110 posts, read 358,952 times
WINNIEK,

I disagree with the statement that minorities are misrepresented in history books. I personally know an elementary teacher and she tells me the exact opposite.

Textbooks are full of even the most minor accomplishments of minorities. History of White Americans is briefly gone over. Huge sections are dedicated to the Civil Rights movement and seem draw on certain aspects of history like the trail of tears, slavery, etc...

Classroom instruction has required time where Black history month is reflected on the entire month, as well as Asian and Hispanic.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:58 PM

212 posts, read 667,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphyre View Post
That always sorta bothered me too. Could you imagine what would happen if there was a "White History Month"? I really don't give a d**n what color someone is. I know it sounds cliche but isn't it what's on the inside that matters?

Quoting Myself -

I am just sort of bothered by what it's called, not what it is.
I realize the importance of Black History Month and the BET channel. In fact, I support it 100%. All I was saying was if we were to call a show something like "The White Comedy Hour", there would be serious he** to pay. Like I said, I don't give a d**n about the color of skin. Just be yourself. For every Moderator cut: bleep racist out there, you'll also find people who will love you for just being you. I know, easier said than done.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:13 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,017,866 times
The most intelligent and caring people want everyone of merit's philosophies and literature to be included in our education: that's what education is.

My husband (a teacher) and are friends with a caring, intelligent and award-winning teacher who gives his all to his L.A. public school class of all Latino and Korean immigrant, all poor, elementary school kids. Each year, he has bought his own multiple copies of Huckleberry Finn, The Autobiography of Malcolm X, Black Like Me, Harry Potter, and To Kill A Mockingbird for these kids in order to assure the best of literature for them (which Open Court denies.) What's the only literature he's gotten in trouble for? William Shakespeare. The administration said it wasn't culturally relevant. That's a good example of wholly unfounded reverse racism, wherein the most emotionally complex writer of the English language was dismissed as culturally irrelevant in Los Angeles. Shakespeare is great example of universal literature: he's not some niche novelist.

I wish you could meet this man, WinnieK, a great example of leapfrogging boundaries in order to bring the best of everything to everyone because everyone is deserving, and he wants to level the playing field for these kids. But he also teaches them that they are Americans now, please learn what's here for their own opportunities rather than obsessing about their parents' former country and never learning any other culture. He scoffs at culture-specific teaching, reminding all that 4 + 4 = 8, it has nothing to do with PC culturalism.
He, someone from a Jewish background, gives kids the chance to read the Autobiography of Malcolm X because it's literarily a great way to follow the journey of a man who lived out his ideals. I, a Caucasian person, wrote a book on Bob Marley for the same reason. But I still dispute changing all classes into Spanish-speaking ones here, because it denies every other person in America who did not come from that one ethnicity. We're supposed to be better than that now.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:54 PM

152 posts, read 675,347 times
Default It was purely bureaucratic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbercuddles View Post
Just out of curiousity, Mr. David, you stated that you were rejected...did people give you glares or were there actually comments made to make you uncomfortable?
Hi Kimbercuddles!
Actually no...there was no animosity......they handled the situation wrong
and I should have complained. Just the other day I was in a church and I
made eye contact with some folks...I'am friendly to all people and they gave me this cold back off look . Probably similar to your experience

Old 11-01-2006, 05:08 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,148,217 times
Certainly there has been overcompensation, and it is easy to see, (just reading this thread!) that the pendulum is now swinging back.
Areyouserious, the reason you don't know who Rosa Parks' bus driver was is because he was just a racist footnote like everyone else in that situation. Parks was of course the significant player.
If you wanted to identify the white people who helped Harriet Tubman or Dr Hale, it would not be difficult to do so. All it takes is motivation.
A good school teaches a student more than facts to regurgitate--a good school teaches a student *how* to learn, as well as to ask questions.

My point is, we have come a long way from the days when To Kill A Mockingbird was a *banned* book. That's how it was 40 years ago when I was a little kid.

I agree that change has to come from within the community. Those who would change the curriculum have to make their opinion known rather than grumbling to themselves. People who really deplore politically correct public schools simply take their kids out and home school them. No dreary month of forced history for them.

Many schools do indeed have native American history units, and most public high schools cover the other world history Areyouserious mentions. I really don't think Jews are too concerned about their history being covered; the Holocaust, despite its deniers, is fairly well-documented; anyway, most Reform Jews believe in the separation of church and state.

I don't watch much TV, but I agree that a certain bling lifestyle has been marketed and that some suburban white kids eat it up. I guess that's a sort of black history they don't mind?

Actually, looking at pop culture as a barometer for social ills is a whole other thread, isn't it.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:37 AM

338 posts, read 1,297,878 times
we are the minority now (whites)- but we don't get treated as such...my husband and I have discussed this for awhile now--since he lost his great job because they told him they needed to hire a "minority"- so he lost his job because his company hired a black female with no training...and let my husband go...that got us thinking about all this "minority" junk and its sad but true--heaven forbid someone (other than their own ethnicity) say something derogatory--whatever-just another day in America!

Old 11-01-2006, 10:05 AM

61 posts, read 262,401 times
To those of you who know 1 Teacher who goes out of their way to teach African American History well that is wonderful for their 25-30 students.However the majority of schools teach Black History only once a year.I am not an older person I am only 28 years old it has not been that long since I was in school.When did I ever say that I consider Little John a role model.I personally do not watch BET or allow it to be watched by anyone in my house because of the blatant disrespect of Black Women.I do however watch TVONE a positive Black Cable channel that teaches us about our history,finances,politics as well as positive Black Sitcoms.I have never said that their are nor any monirites in any of the sitcoms I said that the amount does not reflect the percentage of diversity in American Society.And if you do not see that you are blind.I feel sorry for you husband AREYOUSERIOuS however I am sure that it was not his minority boss who made that decision to lay off your husband and hire a minority.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:09 AM

108 posts, read 341,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree66 View Post
Some of this has gone on not so much for me but my husband would stop at this gas station and there was one clerk in particular that would wait until he came up to the counter and then she would walk away for several minutes...every time he went in there,just to make him wait. He is happy now because she has moved to other employment.

This happened to me and my friends just a few years ago in SC. We were traveling back down to FL from NC, and stoped at a gas station in South Carolina in some little town...my friend wore a ny hat and has an accent...or could it be that our bumper sticker said 'blessed be'...but they almost refused us gas!!

Ignorants runs rampant in America!!

Old 11-01-2006, 11:14 AM

4,489 posts, read 6,656,544 times
I always tell my black friends when they want to go down south, i offer to drive them in case if we get pulled over, i can say i'm taking them to prison, officer. It's a joke but somewhat a sad irony to it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies