Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 05:31 PM

61 posts, read 290,814 times

Advertisements

Your high school American History/Black History class focused on the continent of Africa.WOWThat's progressive!Here in CA Africa was barely mentioned in ANY of my high school history classes.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:37 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,830 times
no, not Africa exactly. North Africa somewhat. But slavery, yes, slavery was covered at fairly great length in American History.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:31 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times
I would hope that everyone's science classes focused on Africa as well, as all of us humans evolved from African ancestors.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:48 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
I would hope that everyone's science classes focused on Africa as well, as all of us humans evolved from African ancestors.
Are you trying to start an argument?

Old 11-03-2006, 10:37 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times
No, Carolina_Native. I've been to east Africa and quite admire its people. There I attended a lecture by one the Leakey family members. I quite admire the Leakeys and their contribution to paleontogical anthropology as well. Tone of speech is a hard thing to convey online.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:29 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 2,081,214 times
I have stayed away from this thread because maybe my post offended some people.I apologize if that is so.It was not my intention

Old 11-05-2006, 05:01 PM

233 posts, read 906,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbercuddles View Post
I started this post because I have never been treated poorly consistently by anyone except for African Americans...it has just been my personal experience, and I am able to get along great with anyone...I always give everyone the benefit of the doubt, that's why I was so hurt when I moved to Lousiana...it wasn't reciprocated.
I guess I would just like to point out how different Black people are according to location. There are different forms of racism and prejudices, and Black people in each state deal with different levels of this. This can also be said for White people in different states.

I have visited Louisiana, and I do believe there is some animosity against White people. I also think there is a class issue as well, and it just so happen that the lower financial class is Black people. Yeah, I can imagine the friction.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:53 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Civil war was not about slavery per se but about money.

The "north" region catered to the civil rights movement but in reality the north is more racist to minorities than the south on the basis knowing who doesn't like you and who does. For instance, would you rather know who is/are racist than not being able to tell?

Hopefully one day racism will cease to exist but at least in the "south" you know where the line is drawn hence the Mason/Dixon line.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:52 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,552 times
Default Racism against whites

Black racism against whites, including violent acts, is very real. I know of many cases.. much more than the other way around (white racism against blacks). It is just that white racism, when it does occur, gets *much* more coverage than minority racism.
A white in public life just saying the N word will get much more news coverage than a minority somewhere who actually kills or rapes a white out of racial hatred.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:38 PM

328 posts, read 240,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYnowNC View Post
I guess I would just like to point out how different Black people are according to location. There are different forms of racism and prejudices, and Black people in each state deal with different levels of this. This can also be said for White people in different states.

I have visited Louisiana, and I do believe there is some animosity against White people. I also think there is a class issue as well, and it just so happen that the lower financial class is Black people. Yeah, I can imagine the friction.
Very well said. I also want people to know that I didn't start this thread to put anyone down...I'm an extremely curious person and I would like to find out why some people have such hostile feelings towards certain races. I've never understood that. As I stated in a previous post, it was my ancestors who were guilty of treating blacks horribly...why would someone treat me poorly for something I had nothing to do with? I've never truly understood racism...the way I see it, all of us are related to Adam and Eve. This is just something that I'm having a difficult time dealing with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies