Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you really care what happens in the Middle East?
Yes, because their problems affect us 87 36.40%
No, it's not our problem 138 57.74%
Not sure 14 5.86%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 12:06 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The world is a global village and the USA has commercial and economic ties with various countries in the Middle East. So the USA can't exactly completely ignore what happens there.
Don't ignore it. Just don't interfere in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 12:29 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
It has dawned on me that I really don't care about the Middle East. I don't care about Israel. I don't care about the Palestinians. I don't care if they blow themselves up to smithereens. In fact I wish they would, then the rest of the world could finally catch a break from the endless, tedious, Israel/Islam conundrum. The first paragraph explains perfectly why "gentiles" shouldn't waste so much energy on the Middle East. They are a lost cause unto themselves-

Who Cares About the Middle East? - Taki's Magazine
In personal terms, I'm considered a gentile to one side and a kafir to the other. In other words, both sides consider me to be the "other." Yet if I dare mention it, one side will call me an anti-Semite and the other will dub me an Islamophobe. Both terms are unabashedly dishonest. One term presumes that Semites could never possibly do anything that might lead to anti-Semitism, while the other assumes that Muslims are never scary enough to induce Islamophobia. (Let's leave the discussion of what exactly constitutes a "Semite" for another day.)

Still, Americans are expected to care about the Middle East for reasons that are both pragmatic and ideological.
Americans Simply Don't Care About Peace in the Middle East
Can we really blame the president for not putting the full weight of his office behind the collapsing peace talks?
I'm sick of hearing about the Middle East | Is It Normal? | http://isitnormal.com
Every time I watch world news, the conflicts in the Middle East are the subject. I hate having to hear about it because I really don't give a **** about their ass-backwards society that's stuck in the middle ages. If they can't figure out how to be a civil, rational society, I can't really bring myself to care how ****ty it makes their citizens' lives. I also don't think it's our job (more advanced nations) (I'm from Canada) to try and fix any of it. We can't help them anyways because the root of the problem is in their religious extremism and inability to separate their politics from that situation.
We Give Up | National Review Online
Americans — left, right, Democrats, and Republicans — are all sick of thankless nation-building in the Middle East. Yet democratization was not our first choice, but rather a last resort after other methods failed.

Since American hands are all over the weapons and we paid for them and both sides are using them to kill each other whether it be in Iraq, Syria, or Palestine and Israel. That makes us an accesory to mass murder and we deserve a place in the docket of any future war crimes trial.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:56 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,163,204 times
Actually a lot of the blame falls on the US, it was Harry Truman in 1948 who pressed for the creation of an Israeli state, even when other countries warned the US against it. Britain which initially believed in the formation of a such a state, had totally changed it's mind after nearly 30 years of the Palestine Mandate which followed the fall of the Ottoman Empire after WW1.

The Palestine Mandate being a type of peacekeeping operation mandated by the League of Nations, the forerunner to the United Nations.

British Mandate for Palestine (legal instrument) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Britain repeatedly warned Truman about splitting Palestine, as well as not involving the Palestinians in the process. Britain was also condemned for trying to stop Jews from making a mass exodus to the area from Europe and for setting up camps on Cyprus to try and stop Jewish mass immigration to the area.

Cyprus internment camps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SS Exodus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the end Truman, ignored Britain and Britain which owed the US monies following WW2 abstained from the UN vote to create an Israeli state rather than vote against the US, as to not upset the Americans. Truman and the US were the influential force behind the creation of Israel and this should not be forgotten, and is part of the reason the US is so hated in parts of the world and by Muslim terror groups, so what happens in the area can not just be forgotten about or brushed under the carpet.

United Nations Partition Plan for Palestine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The rest of the story is quite well known and the region has been unstable and volatile ever since

Last edited by Bamford; 07-30-2014 at 03:12 AM..

Old 07-30-2014, 04:52 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
I don't agree.

I DO care about the middle east.

There's roughly 130 million who populate the region, 99.9% of whom live in constant fear, oppression, repression, and coercion their entire lives. Each and every last one of them is a tragedy.

One cannot be immune to the human suffering caused by their governments, politics, and religion. If you are, you're just immune to concern for humanity as a whole.
You going to risk your life over it? maybe that would have been the better question.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:59 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Just the fact that twice the number of people don't care shows the pure ignorance of America.

The ME certainly effects us.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:16 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
There will never be a good outcome there, and American Presidents who envision one that they can create always waste vast amounts of money and blood.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:27 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
It isn't that I don't care about the Middle East, it's just that I don't believe that we are capable of solving their problems. There has been a perpetual war going on in that area for pretty much all of recorded history, and it isn't going to stop due to sanctions or international opinion.

We're talking about an area that has been hotly contested for thousands of years, and which has seen a plethora of stupidity because of that contestation. We need to let them figure it out for themselves and concentrate on things that we can actually do something about, things that are closer to home. Our own country needs and deserves the attention that is being given to the Middle East.
" There has been a perpetual war going on in that area for pretty much all of recorded history,"

The problem as I see it, is that they are no longer content to stay "in that area".

The have vowed to have their version of Muslim to take over the world.

It is like a virus that will keep spreading until it DOES take over the entire world if NOT stopped.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:32 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" There has been a perpetual war going on in that area for pretty much all of recorded history,"

The problem as I see it, is that they are no longer content to stay "in that area".

The have vowed to have their version of Muslim to take over the world.

It is like a virus that will keep spreading until it DOES take over the entire world if NOT stopped.
Those radicals are the result of Western meddling in a region where people don't want freedom and are still fighting over events of the dark ages. Nothing good ever comes out of getting involved in that mess.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:43 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Those radicals are the result of Western meddling in a region where people don't want freedom and are still fighting over events of the dark ages. Nothing good ever comes out of getting involved in that mess.
I believe that same trend of thought was around when Hitler started "taking" other countries and when after WW!! Russia start its advances into other countries.

IF the fanatics would keep themselves in the ME I would be OK with it. Unfortunately as I said before , they want to Their version to take over the world.

Some people just don't see the "big picture".

Old 07-30-2014, 06:12 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
since american hands are all over the weapons and we paid for them and both sides are using them to kill each other whether it be in iraq, syria, or palestine and israel. That makes us an accesory to mass murder and we deserve a place in the docket of any future war crimes trial.
bs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies