Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 03:56 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,739,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
hmm, the lefties were right. Obama had the power to make the dead rise again in 2012.

Democrats also have the power to make people rise from the dead every time an election comes around. So people, if you are on your death bed, no worries, you will be brought back to life again at the end of this year and in 2016.
"The Walking Dems"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
She took over Jesse Jackson Jr's district while he is in prison.

It's 70% democrat.

Soooo, as long as she has the right friends and scratches the right backs within the Chicago machine.....she gets the backing in the primary and you could run an active Ku Klux Klan leader on the democratic ticket in that district and they'd beat the Republican candidate.

Chicago is a single-party oligarchy. She was essentially appointed to that position for her loyalty.
Where is Ms O'Leary's cow when you need it?

Old 07-26-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
A slice of honesty hidden in the report....who knew?

I'd have loved to see them post up the gun violence rate in Chicago by neighborhood and explain how Austin has gun violence 40x higher than Lincoln park who is just 3 miles away....oh and explain how all those naughty guns are the reason Lincoln park has a lower gun murder rate than all of the countries they cite as being wild successes we should emulate.
They count all gun usage as "gun violence" even if it self defense, also they count suicide as gun violence which it is not.

Lies and false stats, nothing more.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:31 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
hmm, the lefties were right. Obama had the power to make the dead rise again in 2012.

Democrats also have the power to make people rise from the dead every time an election comes around. So people, if you are on your death bed, no worries, you will be brought back to life again at the end of this year and in 2016.
Can you prove that these "dead voters" have even made the slightest impact on any election?

I support voter ID laws and I think we do need to take steps to curb election fraud, but some of you guys make it out to be way more of an issue than it really is.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Can you prove that these "dead voters" have even made the slightest impact on any election?

I support voter ID laws and I think we do need to take steps to curb election fraud, but some of you guys make it out to be way more of an issue than it really is.
Maybe be do, but why they hell should dead people not be kicked off of voter rolls?

Old 07-28-2014, 01:55 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Maybe be do, but why they hell should dead people not be kicked off of voter rolls?
Oh, they absolutely should be. I think everyone should have to show some type of valid photo ID before they cast their vote as well, and I can't even believe that is so controversial, considering you have to show ID before you are even allowed to check a book out of the library.

However, to hear some Conservatives talk, you'd think this is a MAJOR issue plaguing the electoral process in this country, when in reality the impact is minimal. So minimal in fact, that it doesn't even rise to level of warranting discussion. I have never seen or heard of any evidence, that "dead voters" have ever swayed an election one way or another. Rather, I think the issue of election fraud provides a nice scape goat for Republicans to explain their losses away instead of facing the real problems in their party.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:04 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
They count all gun usage as "gun violence" even if it self defense, also they count suicide as gun violence which it is not.

Lies and false stats, nothing more.
Actually the 40x higher is specifically gun murders.

Two neighborhoods just 3 miles apart, same gun availability....

My whole point was that buried in the report, they essentially concede that the big drivers are socio-economic which is backed up by my reference about gun murder rates being wildly different.

Funny huh? Big bad old gun report and then you kinda keep reading and they basically admit that the main problem isn't guns.

Last edited by Mathguy; 07-28-2014 at 02:17 PM..

Old 07-28-2014, 02:12 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
If you were to take one thing away from the anti-smoking / anti-tobacco crusade, let it be that their tactics and antics have been very effective over the years at accomplishing their goal. You would do well to realise that fact and treat it seriously, because if left unchecked, the same thing will happen with guns and gun ownership.

This is social engineering at it's best, plain and simple.
I disagree that the social engineering aspect of anti-smoking campaigns has been significant in the reduction of smoking.

Smoking is still "cool" to many as we continue to see it in entertainment.

Smoking has been reduced largely through brute force - anti-smoking laws and relentlessly higher taxes.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Actually the 40x higher is specifically gun murders.

Two neighborhoods just 3 miles apart, same gun availability....
Yeah the same massive restrictions...Criminals do not obey the law.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:51 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I disagree that the social engineering aspect of anti-smoking campaigns has been significant in the reduction of smoking.

Smoking is still "cool" to many as we continue to see it in entertainment.

Smoking has been reduced largely through brute force - anti-smoking laws and relentlessly higher taxes.
Good points, they did ban cigarette advertisements too.

I think however that it's a flawed comparison.

I mean, if you are a law abiding gun owner in most parts of America the gun muder rate is tiny and even accidents are fairly rare among that segment.

It's hard to get worked up over 4-5 deaths per 100k people as opposed to tens of thousands of cancer stricken smokers per 100k like they had back in the day.

In the areas afflicted by much higher rates of gun violence, the majority of individuals are in gangs and the gun trade and they aren't going to listen to psa's and then wander out unarmed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies