Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 07:13 AM

114 posts, read 275,921 times

Advertisements

I reside in a city/borough where street sexual harassment is a part of life (thankfully, I will be moving very soon). When I encounter sexual harassers, I usually cross the street, if the street harassment becomes too much to deal with. I never confront the man, out of fear that he will behave violently.

Yesterday, Good Morning America aired a segment about a woman who actually confronts her street sexual harassers, to explain why they should cease engaging in such disrespectful behavior (she has a youtube page, I'll include the videos below).

I wonder why respectful/nice guys rarely (if ever) intervene when they witness street sexual harassers in action?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSRFMsBEIEI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FalsMnpqGM0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCbKtp-xtik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl68fIrDjA4

There are many more videos on her site...

Last edited by Cheseca; 07-26-2014 at 07:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 07:23 AM

114 posts, read 275,921 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCbKtp-xtik

Old 07-26-2014, 07:24 AM

27,537 posts, read 15,968,325 times
I'm not sure I understand. The men in the video spew cheesy pickup lines and this is sexual harrasment? Perhaps they could be busted for loitering or vagrancy but a confrontation with another man could lead to imprisonment... nah I'm not risking that.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:25 AM

877 posts, read 1,311,569 times
Because I'd say a majority of men themselves are guilty of cat calling women or believing that women who dress a certain way are deserving of the harassment they receive

Look at the amount of questions online where guys are asking why girls get mad when guys stare at them while they're wearing yoga pants or tight shirts. Clearly guys in general feel entitled to a woman solely because of what she's wearing (which is what they always chalk it up to) or how she's dressed or how drunk she is.

So why would they condemn their fellow gender for doing the same things, but to a different degree?

We also wouldn't want to make anyone feel responsible for the wrong doings of someone else. Asking men to speak up translates (to them) as "you're all sexual predators," therefore they wouldn't want to speak up because it's as though they're admitting that all men are sexual predators (in their minds)

It's easier to blame women and the victims

Just look at the comments in any article about the Steubenville rape. "Where were her parents?"
"Did her parents not teach her right from wrong?"
"Why was she so drunk? Does she not know how dangerous that is?"
"Why did her parents allow her to go out? How did they not know she went out?"

Old 07-26-2014, 07:28 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,615,525 times
I would, and most guys I know personally would also, so I really have no answer to your specific question, although I rarely, if ever, see such activity actually happening.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:31 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,635,235 times
Some men do speak up for women on the streets. Some men have formed and are active in organizations that seek to change men's behavior in this regard.

Most men don't. Don't ask me why, most men have sisters, mothers, and friends who are female.

"I'm not sure I understand. The men in the video spew cheesy pickup lines and this is sexual harrasment? Perhaps they could be busted for loitering or vagrancy but a confrontation with another man could lead to imprisonment... nah I'm not risking that."

Yes, it is sexual harassment.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:33 AM

15,580 posts, read 10,299,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheseca View Post
I wonder why respectful/nice guys rarely (if ever) intervene when they witness street sexual harassers in action?
You're kidding, right? What do you expect a man to do if another man cat calls you? I've seen no less than three recent videos of a woman being beaten, one to death, on the street while so called men stand by watching and filming the vicious assault on their phones. I don't understand the cowardice of men, especially young men, these days, I truly don't.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:08 AM

195 posts, read 176,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts
Because I'd say a majority of men themselves are guilty of cat calling women...
Wow. I think I need to do my part and cat call a few women today, I wouldn't want to be left behind by the majority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts
Look at the amount of questions online where guys are asking why girls get mad when guys stare at them while they're wearing yoga pants or tight shirts. Clearly guys in general feel entitled to a woman solely because of what she's wearing (which is what they always chalk it up to) or how she's dressed or how drunk she is.
Women dress a certain way for the attention of who they consider the "right" men. If these particular men are paying them attention all is right with the world "Ooh look at so and so checking me out." I should know because I and many other men have been in such a position.

As long as women behave passively in the mating game we men will always be the aggressors. In fact, I've been told by a few women in my life who I ended up not getting involved with, that I wasn't aggressive enough. Hilarious isn't it? When you try to behave in a way you're told is more respectful you end up getting dumped for a lack of initiative by women who literally told you they weren't ready yet. Fortunately I learned to ignore most of what they say and push things to a reasonable degree and haven't had any more problems of this kind.

Women employ all sorts of tactics to save face so they don't have to take responsibility for their actions. The world isn't going to change because you don't like the "wrong" men staring at your skintight clothing. You can't pick and choose who to allow the honor of checking you out.

Sad thing is, when you get old, you're going to miss this kind of attention.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:08 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,274,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
You're kidding, right? What do you expect a man to do if another man cat calls you? I've seen no less than three recent videos of a woman being beaten, one to death, on the street while so called men stand by watching and filming the vicious assault on their phones. I don't understand the cowardice of men, especially young men, these days, I truly don't.
It's not cowardice. It's apathy.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:13 AM

20,232 posts, read 19,796,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Because I'd say a majority of men themselves are guilty of cat calling women or believing that women who dress a certain way are deserving of the harassment they receive........
Seriously? Where in heaven's name do YOU live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies