Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 09:20 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Just curious but does anyone know what would be the purpose of the atheist booth would be?
Not everyone goes to the clery for guidance. If I were having a dilemma, I'd certainly want to visit the booth that would discuss proactive options instead of prayer, blessings, and hearing biblical quotes. For example; it's like hearing someone say, "I prayed for a job and my prayers were answered!" As if god were in some sort of divine employment networking system and told the boss who he should hire. With or without god, a person is hired because he/she possesses the skills that were needed for the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 09:49 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Not everyone goes to the clery for guidance. If I were having a dilemma, I'd certainly want to visit the booth that would discuss proactive options instead of prayer, blessings, and hearing biblical quotes. For example; it's like hearing someone say, "I prayed for a job and my prayers were answered!" As if god were in some sort of divine employment networking system and told the boss who he should hire. With or without god, a person is hired because he/she possesses the skills that were needed for the job.
If I were having a dilemma, I wouldn't visit any type of booth but if that was my only choice, I too would not want to hear about prayer or god or anything like that. Considering though that Christians make up 79.5% of the US population I can see why the community may find this type of booth useful as the message most likely appeals to a large portion of the community's population.

My question though has more to do with the reason for it being specifically an atheist booth? 99% of the time, when I ask someone for advice they don't mention anything about religion. Does atheism have the market cornered on "advice" or something? I am just not seeing the connection to the purpose of the booth and atheism. According to Pew Research Polls, less then 2% of the population identifies as atheists which shows that this type of booth would not be particularly appealing or useful for very many members of this community.

Is the usefulness to the community members a factor worthy of consideration when deciding what to accept and what to reject? Or do they just allow every single booth to have a place. For example, If I wanted a booth to talk about the dangers of vaccinations, should they allow me to have one knowing full well that the majority of US citizens believe strongly in favor of vaccines and knowing full well that the booth would create controversy and would be disruptive and would not be of interest to most in the community anyway? Where do they draw the line in being able to choose what to approve and what to reject?

Old 07-29-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
If I were having a dilemma, I wouldn't visit any type of booth but if that was my only choice, I too would not want to hear about prayer or god or anything like that. Considering though that Christians make up 79.5% of the US population I can see why the community may find this type of booth useful as the message most likely appeals to a large portion of the community's population.

My question though has more to do with the reason for it being specifically an atheist booth? 99% of the time, when I ask someone for advice they don't mention anything about religion. Does atheism have the market cornered on "advice" or something? I am just not seeing the connection to the purpose of the booth and atheism. According to Pew Research Polls, less then 2% of the population identifies as atheists which shows that this type of booth would not be particularly appealing or useful for very many members of this community.

Is the usefulness to the community members a factor worthy of consideration when deciding what to accept and what to reject? Or do they just allow every single booth to have a place. For example, If I wanted a booth to talk about the dangers of vaccinations, should they allow me to have one knowing full well that the majority of US citizens believe strongly in favor of vaccines and knowing full well that the booth would create controversy and would be disruptive and would not be of interest to most in the community anyway? Where do they draw the line in being able to choose what to approve and what to reject?
No, atheism doesn't have the market cornered on advice, just sane advice. Why wouldn't you want options and different points of view? The Atheists deserve a booth because not every person's life evolves god/gods. Atheists would enlighten people on a different point of view. In my opinion there shouldn't be any booths, however if the booths are on government property, they should represent all views, including atheists.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:00 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Perhaps part of the reason he wants to set up the booth is to try and convert people to atheism. Regardless, whether you or I or the Mayor see usefulness in this man's speech is irrelevant.

Quote:
Is the usefulness to the community members a factor worthy of consideration when deciding what to accept and what to reject?
When it comes to free speech in a public forum, it is absolutely not a factor.

Quote:
Or do they just allow every single booth to have a place. For example, If I wanted a booth to talk about the dangers of vaccinations, should they allow me to have one knowing full well that the majority of US citizens believe strongly in favor of vaccines and knowing full well that the booth would create controversy and would be disruptive and would not be of interest to most in the community anyway? Where do they draw the line in being able to choose what to approve and what to reject?
For the most part, yes, the city would have to allow all booths. That's what happens when you decide to turn a space into a public forum for speech. If you do that, then you can't discriminate based upon the content of the speech (especially in a way that favors speech that promotes religion).

Old 07-29-2014, 11:22 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal;35858919[B
]No, atheism doesn't have the market cornered on advice, just sane advice. Why wouldn't you want options and different points of view? [/b]The Atheists deserve a booth because not every person's life evolves god/gods. Atheists would enlighten people on a different point of view. In my opinion there shouldn't be any booths, however if the booths are on government property, they should represent all views, including atheists.
You can get that from talking to anyone with an open mind though. My point being that atheists do not have the market corned when it comes to having different points of view. It's not unique to them as a group. Sane advice can come from many different types of people. It has nothing to do with atheism, specifically.

If the booths are going to represent all views then we would need to enlarge the buildings because people tend to possess a very wide variety of viewpoints.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:46 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,018 times
Atheism isn't a religion, except when its convenient for Atheists. Christians want to put up a booth to help people; Atheists want to put up a booth to attack religion.

These incidents usually arise when attention-grabbing Atheists see a public display of religion and use it as platform to put up an anti-religion display rather than honestly promoting Atheism. It comes across as petty and condescending, making all Atheists look like mean-spirited jerks.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:47 AM

792 posts, read 634,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Atheism isn't a religion, except when its convenient for Atheists. Christians want to put up a booth to help people; Atheists want to put up a booth to attack religion.

These incidents usually arise when attention-grabbing Atheists see a public display of religion and use it as platform to put up an anti-religion display rather than honestly promoting Atheism. It comes across as petty and condescending, making all Atheists look like mean-spirited jerks.
Well, why does the mayor of this town have to discriminate against atheists? You don't even know what the atheist booth was actually saying.

Christians are the ones whose belief system relies on converting people to their faith.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:52 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Atheists want to but up booths to help people; Christians want to put up booths to attack atheism.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
You can get that from talking to anyone with an open mind though. My point being that atheists do not have the market corned when it comes to having different points of view. It's not unique to them as a group. Sane advice can come from many different types of people. It has nothing to do with atheism, specifically.

If the booths are going to represent all views then we would need to enlarge the buildings because people tend to possess a very wide variety of viewpoints.
Thus the after my statement. Many view points, many booths.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:09 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockeyfan View Post
Well, why does the mayor of this town have to discriminate against atheists? You don't even know what the atheist booth was actually saying.

Christians are the ones whose belief system relies on converting people to their faith.
I've seen enough public Atheist displays that set up next to Christian displays to know why they're doing this. Its either to insult religion or an attempt to "one-up" them.

Why do Atheists spend so much time and energy promoting Atheism if their belief system doesn't require converting people? Shouldn't people come to Atheism naturally as they come to reject religion of their own accord? There have been Atheists throughout history, long before Reddit and Penn Gilette were telling them why Atheism is smart and religion is stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies