Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
this has been my gripe with them for years. I understand they have reasons for their lack of believing and I know I can accept that, but I have trouble accepting their putting us down, whether we are Jewish, Christians or any religion that believes in a spiritual being. Atheists think we are not up to their standards because we should know God is just a figment of someone's imagine.
Yeah well...it is. (shrug shoulders)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 12:49 PM

13,419 posts, read 9,950,386 times
"When a religion is good, I conceive it will support itself; and when it does not support itself, and God does not take care to support it so that its professors are obliged to call for help of the civil power, it is a sign, I apprehend, of its being a bad one." – Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-27-2014, 12:50 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
No one is stopping you from expressing your point of view. You can buy space on a billboard if you decide that is what you wish to spend your money on. However, if you want to set up a booth in a building, it probably should serve some kind of purpose, other then, "they have a booth so I want a booth to".
So those with a message you like get free space in government buildings to proselytize, but those with a different message you don't like have to vie for paid advertising space elsewhere?

Old 07-27-2014, 12:51 PM

38 posts, read 30,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
"When a religion is good, I conceive it will support itself; and when it does not support itself, and God does not take care to support it so that its professors are obliged to call for help of the civil power, it is a sign, I apprehend, of its being a bad one." – Benjamin Franklin
Wise words. Which is why Buddhism is still respected by the atheism movement in general.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:51 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
this has been my gripe with them for years. I understand they have reasons for their lack of believing and I know I can accept that, but I have trouble accepting their putting us down, whether we are Jewish, Christians or any religion that believes in a spiritual being. Atheists think we are not up to their standards because we should know God is just a figment of someone's imagine.
Well, you should...Still believe in the tooth fairy do you?....It's about time that mankind leaves their childhood myths behind don't you think?

Old 07-27-2014, 12:52 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Atheists don't pray because they don't believe there is anything to pray to. If the sole function of the prayer is to make someone feel better, why is an intermediary necessary? Is there a different purpose for offering prayer?

If you have a Christian faith and follow the Bible (I read the KJV and have done so through a couple of times), your prayer should be for God's will to be done and accepting the results. If there is any other motive for the prayer it becomes a petition, which means that you want your will to prevail over the will of God.

And yes, I do understand that there are passages that are in direct opposition to this. The Christian Bible is full of inconsistencies, partial stories, and contradictions.
I don't understand what your point is in regards to my question about the purpose of the atheist booth.

The religious booth exist for people who wish to seek guidance, solace or shared prayer from the people at the booth who are acting as representatives of that particular religion which is based upon a shared set of beliefs and values. What shared values and beliefs would the atheist booth use to assist those who approach the booth? If there is not a set of shared values and beliefs among all atheists other then the lack of belief in a god or gods then what values and beliefs are the people at the atheist booth representing? If it's just their own personal beliefs then why would it need to be connected to atheism?

Old 07-27-2014, 12:56 PM

38 posts, read 30,232 times
Quote:

The religious booth exist for people who wish to seek guidance, solace or shared prayer from the people at the booth who are acting as representatives of that particular religion which is based upon a shared set of beliefs and values.
A.k.a. brainwashing.

Quote:
What shared values and beliefs would the atheist booth use to assist those who approach the booth?
Atheism's shared values are belief in reason, rationale, science and facts. Not fairy tales. Atheists try to drive the society forward, not backwards.

You can be a good person without believing in a g-man. In fact, I'm pretty quite often the most horrible things are happening due to religious beliefs.

I think we're going to need a loooot more booths...

Old 07-27-2014, 01:01 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
So those with a message you like get free space in government buildings to proselytize, but those with a different message you don't like have to vie for paid advertising space elsewhere?
This isn't about me or what I believe but since you brought it up, I don't belong to any type of organized religion and would not ever approach one of these booths. I do however understand that the religious booths are based on a shared set of beliefs and values that goes much further and deeper then just "we all believe in the same god". What is the shared set of values and beliefs that the atheist share that they would base their "help" to those who approach based upon? Is there a shared common belief system other then the lack of belief in god or gods? if not, what is the purpose of the booth?

Old 07-27-2014, 01:03 PM

37,174 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
I don't understand what your point is in regards to my question about the purpose of the atheist booth.

The religious booth exist for people who wish to seek guidance, solace or shared prayer from the people at the booth who are acting as representatives of that particular religion which is based upon a shared set of beliefs and values. What shared values and beliefs would the atheist booth use to assist those who approach the booth? If there is not a set of shared values and beliefs among all atheists other then the lack of belief in a god or gods then what values and beliefs are the people at the atheist booth representing? If it's just their own personal beliefs then why would it need to be connected to atheism?
What do you call the Christian proselytizing? And if someone is seeking someone to talk to for comfort, why would it need to be formalized by a belief in a Man in a Chair in the Sky?

Old 07-27-2014, 01:06 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
This isn't about me or what I believe but since you brought it up, I don't belong to any type of organized religion and would not ever approach one of these booths. I do however understand that the religious booths are based on a shared set of beliefs and values that goes much further and deeper then just "we all believe in the same god". What is the shared set of values and beliefs that the atheist share that they would base their "help" to those who approach based upon? Is there a shared common belief system other then the lack of belief in god or gods?
Who cares? Why does that matter?

Quote:
what is the purpose of the booth?
Did you not read the complaint? It states the purpose of the booth:

"Mr. Marshall wishes to set up a “reason station” in the Civic Center
atrium. Similar in size, structure and function to the prayer station, the reason
station would consist of a folding table and chairs, an identifying sign, and atheist
literature on display and available to the public. Mr. Marshall and other volunteers
who operate the reason station would offer to have philosophical discussions with
passersby who express an interest in atheism and freethought."

http://www.aclumich.org/sites/defaul...-Complaint.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies