Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 06:29 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
LOL! I never said "pot should be legal because these people did it..." keep making crap up and acting like you are the intelligent one...

Can't even respond to a post without making up a BUNCH of stuff that I never said.
Well at the very least this is what your post implied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 06:30 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Yes, $4/1000 gallons from lake Michigan. That's why nobody charges to use the water fountains and fast food restaurants give free water away.
Think of it as a service....but, they do have a water bill.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:44 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
I have a few friends who became insane.
They were going to become insane anyway. Marijuana use, by people with the genetic predisposition to schizophrenia, may increase the onset by 2-6 years.

Quote:
“The results of the current study suggest that having an increased familial morbid risk for schizophrenia may be the underlying basis for schizophrenia in cannabis users and not cannabis use by itself,” note the researchers.
Harvard: Marijuana Doesn’t Cause Schizophrenia | Psych Central News

Quote:
I know a guy who died as a result of reckless behavior induced by weed.
Uh, like driving under the influence?

Stoned drivers hit test course | www.kirotv.com

Old 08-03-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Think of it as a service....but, they do have a water bill.
Yeah, .00004¢ a gallon.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:52 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Originally Posted by Sorel36
Oh I see because some people have smoked and still made it then this proves weed is harmless then and everybody out there should get stoned. Don't worry about any consequences !

Quote:
What consequences? Smoking pot doesn't automatically make someone quit their job and join the ranks of the homeless.
These prohibitionists have it backasswards. They believe the majority of smokers are full time stoners, and the few who partake rarely are the minority.

If this were the case, there would be more than 100M homeless people. That's how many people admit they have smoked it.

Despite 70+ years of criminal prohibition, marijuana still remains widely popular among Americans, with over 102 million Americans (41 percent of the U.S. population) having used it during their lifetimes, 26 million (10 percent) having used it in the past year, and over 15 million (6 percent) admitting that they use it regularly. (By contrast, fewer than 15 percent of adults have ever tried cocaine, the second most ‘popular’ illicit drug, and fewer than 2 percent have ever tried heroin — so much for that supposed ‘gateway effect.’) Predictably, all of the 2008 marijuana use figures are higher than those that were reported for the previous year — great work John Walters!

Over 100 Million Americans Have Smoked Marijuana -- And It's Still Illegal? | Alternet

Here's an opinion idiots view:
Let me repeat that for emphasis: If you use marijuana heavily prior to age 25, your brain won't work anymore -- not as it did originally. Will you die young, as with tobacco? We'll have to wait a generation to find out, just as we did with tobacco. Our children will be the guinea pigs.
Opinion: Legalizing marijuana is not worth the risk - CNN.com

WTF?

I'm sorry to inform this caveman that we have an entire generation of stoners (baby boomers) who are living longer, and are the wealthiest generation in history. Just maybe, if Congress were to hit a bong every now and again they'd be able to work together, sing a campfire song, and go out for pizza.

It has been proven the medicinal benefits of getting high, in moderation, outweigh the adversities.

A short list:
- It may help reverse the carcinogenic effects of tobacco and improve lung health.
-
It can be used to treat Glaucoma.
- It can help control epileptic seizures.
- It also decreases the symptoms of a severe seizure disorder known as Dravet's Syndrome.
- A chemical found in marijuana stops cancer from spreading.
- THC slows the progression of Alzheimer's disease.
- The drug eases the pain of multiple sclerosis.
- It lessens side effects from treating hepatitis C and increases treatment effectiveness.
- Marijuana treats inflammatory bowel diseases.
- It relieves arthritis discomfort.
- It keeps you skinny and helps your metabolism.
A study published in the American Journal Of Medicine on April 15 of last year suggested that pot smokers are skinnier than the average person and have healthier metabolism and reaction to sugars, even though they do end up eating more calories because of the munchies.
Read more: 23 Health Benefits Of Marijuana - Business Insider

Even Sanjay Gupta has reversed his opinion to become pro-medical. Obama's affinity for the bud, among other drugs, prior to 25 years of age didn't hurt his brain.

People who are against the legalization of pot might as well be members of the flat earth society.

Last edited by steven_h; 08-03-2014 at 07:08 PM..

Old 08-03-2014, 06:54 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Quote:
They were going to become insane anyway. Marijuana use, by people with the genetic predisposition to schizophrenia, may increase the onset by 2-6 years.

Harvard: Marijuana Doesn’t Cause Schizophrenia | Psych Central News

Uh, like driving under the influence?

Stoned drivers hit test course | www.kirotv.com
Can't rule out processing or additives to the product either or for that matter other life stresses.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

Over 100 Million Americans Have Smoked Marijuana -- And It's Still Illegal? | Alternet

Let me repeat that for emphasis: If you use marijuana heavily prior to age 25, your brain won't work anymore -- not as it did originally. Will you die young, as with tobacco? We'll have to wait a generation to find out, just as we did with tobacco. Our children will be the guinea pigs.

WTF?

I'm sorry to inform this caveman that we have an entire generation of stoners (baby boomers) who are living longer, and are the wealthiest generation in history. Just maybe, if Congress were to hit a bong every now and again they'd be able to work together, sing a campfire song, and go out for pizza.

Seems like Obama's affinity for the bud, among other drugs, prior to 25 years of age didn't hurt his brain.
Heavy marijuana use prior to age 25 does cause brain damage, but that's because the brain isn't fully developed. The studies aren't exactly in agreement though. One study, over a year and a half, found no brain impairment in marijuana users. Another 10 yr long study found brain impairment in teens, while finding no long term impairment after age 25. Alcohol still causes more damage to developing brains.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:00 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Originally Posted by Sorel36
Oh I see because some people have smoked and still made it then this proves weed is harmless then and everybody out there should get stoned. Don't worry about any consequences !

These prohibitionists have it backasswards. They believe the majority of smokers are full time stoners, and the few who partake rarely are the minority.

If this were the case, there would be more than 100M homeless people. That's how many people admit they have smoked it.

Despite 70+ years of criminal prohibition, marijuana still remains widely popular among Americans, with over 102 million Americans (41 percent of the U.S. population) having used it during their lifetimes, 26 million (10 percent) having used it in the past year, and over 15 million (6 percent) admitting that they use it regularly. (By contrast, fewer than 15 percent of adults have ever tried cocaine, the second most ‘popular’ illicit drug, and fewer than 2 percent have ever tried heroin — so much for that supposed ‘gateway effect.’) Predictably, all of the 2008 marijuana use figures are higher than those that were reported for the previous year — great work John Walters!

WTF?

Seems like Obama's affinity for the bud, among other drugs, prior to 25 years of age didn't hurt his brain.
Brain development is not to be taken lightly, nor any substance taken into the body. However, punishing people for this makes no sense to me.

PLOS ONE: The Effect of Medical Marijuana Laws on Crime: Evidence from State Panel Data, 1990-2006

Old 08-03-2014, 07:12 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Brain development is not to be taken lightly, nor any substance taken into the body. However, punishing people for this makes no sense to me.

PLOS ONE: The Effect of Medical Marijuana Laws on Crime: Evidence from State Panel Data, 1990-2006
I'm not taking it lightly, however the protractors are over-emphasizing it.

If we are so worried about brain development, then shouldn't alcohol be illegal until 25? The damage that alcohol causes to the brain, and the entire digestive tract, is umpteen times worse than pot. If I was forced to choose which I'd rather see a teen on it would be pot over alcohol in a heart beat. THAT ISN'T SAYING I'D WANT THEM ON EITHER... for those with no critical thinking skills.

Keep in mind these findings are based on HEAVY USE, and only a small percentage of smokers fall in that category; whereas teens who start drinking at an early age are far more likely to become alcoholics. Alcoholics are prone to violence and abuse as well. 70% of all violent crimes have an alcohol component.

Last edited by steven_h; 08-03-2014 at 07:21 PM..

Old 08-03-2014, 07:20 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,664 times
Quote:
Well at the very least this is what your post implied.
Bullcrap. If you can't reply to what is said, don't reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies