Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 10:12 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times

Advertisements

If I was gay, I wouldn't vote for a political candidate who was publically anti-gay equality, denying gay people all legal rights held by straight people, for religious or any other reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 10:54 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,553 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
What are your thoughts on them? We hear a lot about racial and ethnic minorities falling in lockstep with the Democrats, but not so much on sexual minorities, even though it is also the case. Plus, a lot of LGBT people grew up in conservative households and might actually agree with Republicans on many issues.

What do you think? It seems like both groups have problems with them, but should it be that way?
Democrats and Republicans agree on a lot of issues, the problem especially on social issues usually has to do with whether or not you want the public to follow your own personal philosophy on life.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:56 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Democrats and Republicans agree on a lot of issues, the problem especially on social issues usually has to do with whether or not you want the public to follow your own personal philosophy on life.
Both parties believe all Americans should follow their party's philosophy of life. No difference there.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:59 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
I have gay friends who are fiscally conservative. They vote Republican.
Me too

Old 07-29-2014, 09:27 PM

5,341 posts, read 4,429,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Probably so. The gay Republicans I know seem to live quite easily with a heavy dose of cognitive dissonance! One friend of mine told me that he didn't care at all about any gay rights issues and was ONLY concerned with his taxes. He believes that if a Republican is president, his taxes will go down. He also grew up in an extremely conservative/religious home and doesn't like gay men who "act gay", in his words. And then he's 50 years old and still rather closeted (his family doesn't know) and has never been in a long term relationship. He also has a thing for very young (20-25 year old) gay guys, so he'll most likely never have the option to get married to a man anyway.

Overall, I find gay Republicans to be very odd. They seem to ignore a lot of reality.
Who's reality, theirs or yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
They receive more hostility from Democrats for being Republican, than Republicans for being gay.
Only from the intolerant ones. I've witnessed some pretty ugly displays from liberals toward gays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You could also say "depends on the Republicans". There is a minority of Republicans who strongly support same-sex relationships. But big deal. They're a minority in their party, just like the black Democrats who are strongly against it.

In general, Democrats do support same-sex relationships much more than Republicans. That is a fact that has been documented for decades, and it is a primary reason why there aren't more gay Republicans.
What about the gay people that are against SSM? They do exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
If I was gay, I wouldn't vote for a political candidate who was publically anti-gay equality, denying gay people all legal rights held by straight people, for religious or any other reason.
But you see, sometimes the issues are bigger than one's self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
I have gay friends who are fiscally conservative. They vote Republican.
As do I.
I have quite a few gay friends. Probably has to do with the facts that I had a gay roommate in college (he and his husband are still friends of mine) and also I don't screen potential friends for their sexual or political preferences. However, we do discuss politics (and religion and money) quite a bit. I'd say, among my friends, it's pretty 50/50 as far as their political leanings go. Some of the liberal ones are closeted and some of the conservative ones are too. The majority though are not. Some of the conservative ones are Christian and some of the liberal ones are too. I consider most of them Independents.

Too many people want to paint everyone with a very broad brush. It's not that simple. People live their lives the way they do because of their life experiences.

We need conservative and liberal viewpoints. The balance, while very difficult to achieve, is what makes the U.S. what it is.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:35 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
What are your thoughts on them? We hear a lot about racial and ethnic minorities falling in lockstep with the Democrats, but not so much on sexual minorities, even though it is also the case. Plus, a lot of LGBT people grew up in conservative households and might actually agree with Republicans on many issues.

What do you think? It seems like both groups have problems with them, but should it be that way?
Well this leads to the point that being gay is not a "lifestyle choice".

Being gay is simply your sexual orientation which is not chosen. It's natural.

Lifestyle is a choice. Like deciding to live in the city or country for example.

Political affiliation is also a choice.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:46 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
I think the culture war over homosexuality will be moot in a year or two and gays will perhaps drift towards more Republican support. I don't like that outcome, but it's probably inevitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies