Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 11:53 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Terrorism is not associated with Asians or Blacks or Mexicans or Whites.
But it is associated with Muslims.
This tells me more about your thought processes than about what actually goes on in the world.

Terrorism is a tactic, not a religion, race, or ethnicity. And terrorism is used worldwide by enraged minorities of all stripes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 11:55 AM

792 posts, read 634,677 times
Quote:
No they don't but when someone says "terrorist" Muslims come to mind.
That's your problem, not mine. When someone says terrorist, I think of radical al-Qaeda believers, but I also think of abortion clinic bombers.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
This tells me more about your thought processes than about what actually goes on in the world.

Terrorism is a tactic, not a religion, race, or ethnicity. And terrorism is used worldwide by enraged minorities of all stripes.
It's a stereotype that has stuck.

This goes back to 2006:
The Great Divide: How Westerners and Muslims View Each Other | Pew Research Center's Global Attitudes Project
Many in the West see Muslims as fanatical, violent, and as lacking tolerance. Meanwhile, Muslims in the Middle East and Asia generally see Westerners as selfish, immoral and greedy – as well as violent and fanatical.
Nothing highlights the divide between Muslims and the West more clearly than their responses to the uproar this past winter over cartoon depictions of Muhammad. Most people in Jordan, Egypt, Indonesia and Turkey blame the controversy on Western nations’ disrespect for the Islamic religion. In contrast, majorities of Americans and Western Europeans who have heard of the controversy say Muslims’ intolerance to different points of view is more to blame.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:00 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
No they don't but when someone says "terrorist" Muslims come to mind.
Your prejudice is your cite? Isn't that a little circular?

Old 07-29-2014, 12:00 PM

792 posts, read 634,677 times
Quote:

This goes back to 2006:
The Great Divide: How Westerners and Muslims View Each Other | Pew Research Center's Global Attitudes Project
Many in the West see Muslims as fanatical, violent, and as lacking tolerance. Meanwhile, Muslims in the Middle East and Asia generally see Westerners as selfish, immoral and greedy – as well as violent and fanatical.
Nothing highlights the divide between Muslims and the West more clearly than their responses to the uproar this past winter over cartoon depictions of Muhammad. Most people in Jordan, Egypt, Indonesia and Turkey blame the controversy on Western nations’ disrespect for the Islamic religion. In contrast, majorities of Americans and Western Europeans who have heard of the controversy say Muslims’ intolerance to different points of view is more to blame.
It's a cultural problem. After 9/11, the media really got into it too. We should promote understanding of different viewpoints among all cultures, but instead we racially profile and hate.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockeyfan View Post
It's a cultural problem. After 9/11, the media really got into it too. We should promote understanding of different viewpoints among all cultures, but instead we racially profile and hate.
I'm not denying that. Just stating what is.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is a stereotype. Stereotypes are good for demagogues, not so good for critical thinking.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is a stereotype. Stereotypes are good for demagogues, not so good for critical thinking.
Like the majority of Americans are critical thinkers.....
We tend to go with emotion.

Just look at the last few posts bashing me for saying what I did.
Emotion over logic or any thinking.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Like the majority of Americans are critical thinkers.....
We tend to go with emotion.

Just look at the last few posts bashing me for saying what I did.
Emotion over logic or any thinking.
Your post that I first responded to seemed to me to be saying that you thought that terrorism was primarily perpetrated by Muslims these days. I suspect I was not alone in taking your post this way.

Glad to hear I was mistaken!

Old 07-29-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Your post that I first responded to seemed to me to be saying that you thought that terrorism was primarily perpetrated by Muslims these days. I suspect I was not alone in taking your post this way.

Glad to hear I was mistaken!
I said that people associate terrorism most closely with Muslims, not Whites, Asians, Mexicans, Blacks.

No different then Mexicans being associated with illegals today.

I was only stating what many articles and studies have reported.
Critical thinking doesn't just happen. Critical thinking comes from a base of knowledge, not your own opinion of how you think the world operates.

Too many posters here go by their own personal opinions which is not necessarily the same as respected research organizations say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies