Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 04:36 PM

24,391 posts, read 23,048,028 times

Advertisements

He needs to be on exhibit in the National Museum next to iron age man and ice age mammals . Black civil rights activists were a fascinating study of a bygone age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 04:39 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,303,353 times
"Jackson, 72, discussed tech-sector hiring with the EEOC via phone Monday. The former two-time Democratic presidential candidate said he'll continue pushing the issue and has no plans to retire. "The struggle for emancipation is my life," he said in an interview. "It's my calling."

Does this mean he is going to keep extorting money as he has all along?

Old 07-28-2014, 04:40 PM

174 posts, read 244,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Whew! Good thing he threw in the White thing. If he said too many Asians that might be racist. Carry on.

I am not a defender nor a critic of Jackson. But you guys are putting words in his mouth. I did not hear him say, "There are too many white or asians" in the tech field.

Please provide the quote as I did not hear it.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Non-Asian minorities and women are underrepresented in the tech industry. I also own a business in the industry as well. The previous poster is correct-- there are not enough non-Asian minorities and women majoring in STEM majors that lead to tech careers.

Tech careers are accessible, and well recompensed. Is it a problem? I think so.

Unfortunately, minority dominated inner city schools don't seem to graduate students with the requisite math and science skills. It's an institutional problem. Further more, I think our industry would benefit from more diverse less male dominated viewpoints (and management). I don't particularly care what Jesse Jackson has to say, but that doesn't mean you can dismiss the issue entirely.
100% agree. I went into teaching since retiring from tech.
Some schools would rather hire a coach to teach Math; some schools move the 4th grade teacher into HS Algebra. It's all about getting 50 questions right on a cert test to make you "Highly Qualified".
And then you have the computer labs..running WinXP with Office 2005 and 486 machines.
Duck tape holds the split cables together.
And the curriculum is 10 years old..talking about telnet/ftp and even modems and CD-Rom.
And touch screen ? Why that's for accessibility and is a fixture that is put over the monitor.

Yeah..K-12 is doing a splendid job of making sure the kids get math/science/tech education.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:42 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,540,936 times
Enjoy your future unemployment, Millenials.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:42 PM

174 posts, read 244,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And they are in K-12 and then college.
But it's a hard major.
I had 36 credits of Math, 10 credits of Physics and that's the math/science part.

You just don't pick up a book and *poof*..you too can be a programmer.
I never suggested it wasn't hard work.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking_Good View Post
I never suggested it wasn't hard work.
It's hard work that most of today's youth just don't want to do.
They're always looking for the easy way out.

And when I'm teaching/subbing/tutoring in the schools I point out that it's a good career with lots of areas to specialize in.
Tech is the future and China/India are stomping all over us in that area.
Brazil, Vietnam, Singapore are all catching up quick as well.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:48 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
I doubt you will find many unemployed black professional techs so this isn't a "hiring practices" issue.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:58 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,411,561 times
Why doesn't someone ask him where are all of these qualified Black applicants interested in tech at Silicon Valley?

Old 07-28-2014, 06:01 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I own a business in the tech industry. Here's the thing. None of us care if you're white, black, red, purple, female, male, or anything in between. We ONLY care about your skill and that is all. If blacks aren't represented higher in the tech industry, it's only because there aren't enough blacks majoring in STEM degrees. Easy solution - get a STEM degree and develop skills that would be desirable to a tech industry employer. Back when I started in IT, I was one of only two females in my entire major - oh and I'm half black to boot. Yet I graduated number one in my class and got the best job offers - even in a highly male work environment. Why? Because the ONLY thing the employers cared about was getting the best and brightest. Jesse Jackson is trying too hard to remain relevant and it shows by his constant tilting at windmills.
Good for you!! Thanks for telling it like it is. If you want better, get the skills necessary to get better. Usually in a tech field just having a degree won't cut it - you'd better be GOOD at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies