Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 08:07 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,549,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Well, jibbi-dibiddi and a ratta-tattat - he's right, we need more gangsta rappers to help us to compete with the likes of India and China.
^^This. I'm black and, like most of us black people, I'm a gangsta rapper. My father, grandfather, and his father had aspring careers as a gangsta funk artist, gangsta jazz artist, and gangsta quartet member, respectively. I'm carrying their torch and keeping the gangsta legacy of my family and our race intact. It's the least I can do as a black man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 08:14 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Jesse Jackson says diversity in the tech industry is the next "Civil Rights Movement".

He asked the EEOC to look into the hiring practices in the tech industry.
He said the government must do something about it.

Maybe all business needs to go to a quota system so that "everyone is a winner" in our quest to turn the US into Utopia.

One item not noted in this article is the percentage of women and Blacks that have college degrees in tech to begin with.

I know back in the late 80's when I went to college (engineering) I was the only girl in many classes and the majority of students were Indian males.

Jesse Jackson: Tech diversity is next civil rights step
U.S. civil rights leader Jesse Jackson called on the Obama administration Monday to scrutinize the tech industry's lack of diversity.

"The government has a role to play" in ensuring that women and minorities are fairly represented in the tech workforce, Jackson told a USA TODAY editorial board meeting. He said the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission needs to examine Silicon Valley's employment contracts.
Jackson, 72, discussed tech-sector hiring with the EEOC via phone Monday. The former two-time Democratic presidential candidate said he'll continue pushing the issue and has no plans to retire. "The struggle for emancipation is my life," he said in an interview. "It's my calling."
I know very, very few black males interested in the tech field. I'd say that's more of a contributing factor to the numbers than racism. The tech industry does not seem like a very racist field at all. Never worked in it though so I can't say.

For me, I think "black" activism needs to start in the black community.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:53 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Funny how Jesse doesn't cite the %'s graduating with STEM degrees but just tries to focus on the % of ethnicities working at companies like google to the general population %'s. lol.

He's using "disparate impact" as some sort of *proof* that the companies are somehow not hiring qualified blacks.

Wraps it up into a nice little quiet assertion of racism at these tech companies.

However, for a mere 10 million contribution to Operation Push....he will absolve them of their racial sins and pronounce them "redeemed". After all, his son is going to need a nice 6-figure job when he gets out of the pokey.

Otherwise he will continue to drag them through the mud.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:00 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,040,725 times
The tech industry is chock full of pasty faced, mincing white liberal beta males who would sever their appendixes to prove to all sundry how antiracist/feminist they are. The idea that they're "discriminating" against non-asian (and why only non-asian, pray tell?) minorities and women is so stupid as to merit nothing but a brief moment of dismissive derision.

That said, a grievance industry shakedown really couldn't happen to a nicer bunch. I wish Jesse Jackson and co good luck.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
The tech industry is chock full of pasty faced, mincing white liberal beta males who would sever their appendixes to prove to all sundry how antiracist/feminist they are. The idea that they're "discriminating" against non-asian (and why only non-asian, pray tell?) minorities and women is so stupid as to merit nothing but a brief moment of dismissive derision.

That said, a grievance industry shakedown really couldn't happen to a nicer bunch. I wish Jesse Jackson and co good luck.
In response, "books are for nerds".

Those guys didn't get those jobs by accident anymore than the NBA got thier stars.

I mean dear god, you go all through highschool making fun of the nerds and then *gasp* those guys go on to top level colleges....and then gasp....they get hired by google etc.....and you claim racism.

Seriously? Academically they'd beat your asssss like Lebron would school a fat kid at 1 on 1.

Don't give me this crap, it's lies and excuses. And the richest part is that it's ASIANS and INDIANS so the racist garbage is nothing but BS.

Tell ya what. Ethnically balance the pop 40 charts and the NBA....then we''ll talk about "unfair".

Old 08-01-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:

Love the whole "mincing" dig fyi.....typical jock mentality....going to go out tonight and cruise for gays to beat up?

Go dig some ditches for us at 10/hr......thanks in advance...the nerds that bothered to get an education while you kept voting for more illegals with the same skills you have...plus a work ethic.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:26 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Love the whole "mincing" dig fyi.....typical jock mentality....going to go out tonight and cruise for gays to beat up?

Go dig some ditches for us at 10/hr......thanks in advance...the nerds that bothered to get an education while you kept voting for more illegals with the same skills you have...plus a work ethic.

Good gosh. What in the freaken hell is someone talking about. Gibberish it sounds like. You were able to make heads and tails out of that, Your good.

Too damn bad that some people do not believe in knowing the meaning of work ethcis. I was taught what they were all about, and Thank Gosh, we do for our self. No one does for me, but me, and I like it this way. And my hard working husband, that literally knows how to do it all. I literally mean that, he knows how to do it all, some people are just like that.

Just maybe the tech field is not for everyone. What the hek is the big deal.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:40 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I know very, very few black males interested in the tech field. I'd say that's more of a contributing factor to the numbers than racism. The tech industry does not seem like a very racist field at all. Never worked in it though so I can't say.

For me, I think "black" activism needs to start in the black community.
The black community doesn't pay as well as guilting the white community.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:13 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Unfortunately, minority dominated inner city schools don't seem to graduate students with the requisite math and science skills. It's an institutional problem. Further more, I think our industry would benefit from more diverse less male dominated viewpoints (and management). I don't particularly care what Jesse Jackson has to say, but that doesn't mean you can dismiss the issue entirely.
No. It's NOT an institutional problem. It's a cultural one. American urban black culture doesn't value academic prowess. For black kids, it's not cool to be a geek. Instead, for them it's cool to be a rapper or a basketball star. They desire Kanye West and Lebron money and are not impressed by the salaries and lifestyle of IT professionals. Or they would rather hope to buy a winning Powerball ticket rather than put the effort into studying hard at school and achieving a middle class lifestyle. It's all about a "go big or go home" mentality and doing what they think will impress their homies.

And the parents of these urban minority children don't try to persuade them otherwise.

And as long as the urban Asian children are growing up in a traditional Asian attitude home, they still excel in their studies in inner city schools... I've seen it for myself. So the problem lies with urban culture black values, not the inner city school systems.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:39 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,595,971 times
Quote:

You probably shouldn't generalize a whole industry based of how the prominent people act (Gates and Zuckerburg). I am a software developer and while many of the individuals would be what most people consider geeks (definitely not all, as I have been considered a jock my whole life), a lot of them are a far cry from liberal beta males who are antiracist/feminist. Maybe you were just trying to tell a joke, but nonetheless I thought I would address it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies