Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 07:33 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,480,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
It's strange...at my previous job we had a lady there who worked as an accounting clerk, making at best $15 per hour...yet she drove into work every day in a Lexus Jeep and always had nice Coach purses, and lived in a mansion in a very upscale suburb of Dallas. We finally asked her why she had this job, she clearly didnt need it. She told us her husband is a self employed businessman. Very successful. Only problem was he had 2 heart attacks and thus was unable to buy health insurance. She had to go to work to get health insurance for him. Obamacare has now removed the need for her to work. Freeing up that job to someone who truly needs it.

Another guy I know, also self employed IT consultant. Makes tons of money but could not get insurance. Now he can thanks to Obamacare.

Both guys are upper middle class suburbanites, SOLID Republicans. Yet I bet when they come home from Tea Party rallies they get on their knees and thank God for Obamacare. And I bet they are not alone among Republicans in doing this.

Is Obamacare perfect? Not by a longshot. But it's a start. My health insurance premiums were going up by an average $80 a month every year along with reduced coverage. And this was before Obama even came into office. So to act as if our prior health insurance was all hunky dory is to be in denial. Obamacare may not be the finished product but at least it's a start. YMMV.
What kind of insurance did you buy that went up $80.00 per month every year? I've had BCBS High Option for 50 years and that is one of the best available. They have never gone up on me like you claim yours has. I have absolutely no complaints about BCBS and mine has never been under Obamacare.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:36 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,480,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
And the rest of us who pay our way pay a higher premiums, because you'll get care without being covered. Thanks, not
Did you see the penalities? Up to $2500 for a single person and up to $12,000 + change for a family of four. OCHHH!!

Old 07-28-2014, 07:38 PM

582 posts, read 778,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I had medical coverage that I was able to continue after I retired in 2004, I just had to pay for it myself. It was with United Health Care. Each year the premium went up until in 2013 it was $1,294 per month for just me. In January 2014 it went up another $241 to $1,535. Under the ACA I was able to shop for alternative coverage and now have a bronze policy that costs me just $630 a month, a savings of $905 each month and my deductible and out of pocket total $12,500.

No, I do not come close to qualifying for any subsidy, my pension is far too high for that. I also do not have any serious health issues that put me in a high risk category. United Health Care is just plain greedy.

By the way I am not a LAZY SOB, I put in 28 years in a tough, blue collar job but it was union and provided high wages and great benefits. There were 10 years before that in various low wage, no benefit jobs. Twice in my life I collected unemployment for a few weeks before finding other work, even when I was on temporary lay-off from that blue collar job that I knew I'd be able to go back to when international cargo shipments picked up and we would get recalled to the docks.
You are getting a subsidy, that is why the plan is only $630. That $905 dollars is coming out of the pocket of working fold just like me. Thank to you and others like you, my family will have to do with less.

I looked at every plan offered under Obamacare in this area. EVERY SINGLE plan cost more before subsidies than the plan I currently have. It is only after the subsidies that the cost drop to what I currently pay. For those with the same after subsidy cost, the deductible is 3 times my current level and the potential yearly out of pocket is close to 4 times my current exposure. On top of that, I would lose my health saving account.

So under this extremely stupid Obamacare, premium cost have skyrocketed, benefits have plummeted, and the government has stopped encouraging people to be responsible and save for emergencies.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:43 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,187 times
Quote:
And the rest of us who pay our way pay a higher premiums, because you'll get care without being covered. Thanks, not
You have never and will never pay squat for me MR. I do what they tell me cause I have no brain poster.Think I'm gonna send in 960 a month with a 6000 deductible to save YOU premiums,HA HA I unlike you am not scared to die,In my 60's and never had a doctor let alone got sick. You want ME to subsidize Your premiums poster. You got it backwards

Old 07-28-2014, 07:47 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,286,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
You have never and will never pay squat for me MR. I do what they tell me cause I have no brain poster.Think I'm gonna send in 960 a month with a 6000 deductible to save YOU premiums,HA HA I unlike you am not scared to die,In my 60's and never had a doctor let alone got sick. You want ME to subsidize Your premiums poster. You got it backwards
Incorrect, I pay $906 a month, because when you get sick you'll get care at my expense if you don't. If you can't afford it get a job and pay for it.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Did you see the penalities? Up to $2500 for a single person and up to $12,000 + change for a family of four. OCHHH!!
Self employed here will never pay a dime for MR Willys healthcare no way Obama can collect it.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
It is my understanding the penalty is 1% in the first year, and then goes to 2 1/2%. Are you saying these are maximums?

Old 07-28-2014, 07:50 PM

582 posts, read 778,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
It's strange...at my previous job we had a lady there who worked as an accounting clerk, making at best $15 per hour...yet she drove into work every day in a Lexus Jeep and always had nice Coach purses, and lived in a mansion in a very upscale suburb of Dallas. We finally asked her why she had this job, she clearly didnt need it. She told us her husband is a self employed businessman. Very successful. Only problem was he had 2 heart attacks and thus was unable to buy health insurance. She had to go to work to get health insurance for him. Obamacare has now removed the need for her to work. Freeing up that job to someone who truly needs it.

Another guy I know, also self employed IT consultant. Makes tons of money but could not get insurance. Now he can thanks to Obamacare.

Both guys are upper middle class suburbanites, SOLID Republicans. Yet I bet when they come home from Tea Party rallies they get on their knees and thank God for Obamacare. And I bet they are not alone among Republicans in doing this.

Is Obamacare perfect? Not by a longshot. But it's a start. My health insurance premiums were going up by an average $80 a month every year along with reduced coverage. And this was before Obama even came into office. So to act as if our prior health insurance was all hunky dory is to be in denial. Obamacare may not be the finished product but at least it's a start. YMMV.
Your stories are very cherry-picked. Yes, people did get insurance denied due to health issues and Obamacare did resolve that. However, the exact same thing could have been done without Obamacare and without all the additional harm the program did. For every person like the 2 above, thousands were harmed. Sorry, but that is not right.

Scrap Obamacare and replace it with law governing pre-existing conditions and dropping coverage.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Self employed here will never pay a dime for MR Willys healthcare no way Obama can collect it.
Deadbeats drive up costs for those of us who pay our way in life.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Incorrect, I pay $906 a month, because when you get sick you'll get care at my expense if you don't. If you can't afford it get a job and pay for it.
As a business owner I have no spare time to also be a slave with a job.but thanks for the advise anyway.PS I think your jeep is way cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies