Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 06:24 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times

Advertisements

Next, we learn that 50% of our prison space is excess and can be shut down, we can lay off 50% of the cops (or perhaps divert some of them to real crime), we can get rid of 50% of the judges and judicial system, we can expect conditions in our inner cities to improve and our poor families to become more cohesive as we stop sending massive numbers of young people to prison for stupid reasons, and resources now devoted to the lost 'war on drugs' can be put toward a new 'war on crappy schools.'

So it is pretty much all good. Although some people will stop saying "You kids get off my lawn!" long enough to complain about it.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:36 AM

757 posts, read 1,093,784 times
We legalized alcohol and look where that's got us. DUIs and domestic violence along with liver disease. But God forbid someone prefers to smoke pot. No one will ever convince me that marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol. Drag out those "studies" now (it's not like so-called studies are ever biased).

The other part of this is that I am sick of tired of the nanny State. So long as one doesn't harm others, it is none of the Government's business what I do privately. The other side of the story is that we keep "banning" things and allowing Government and Big Business dictate to us what we do in our personal life. Drug testing then nicotine testing and now food policing. I'll drug test when politicians, CEOs and Board Members are forced to pee in a cup.

Lastly, as previously stated, I do NOT want our LE resources wasting time on arresting pot smokers. We have way too many other crimes that need to be addressed.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:40 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Next, we learn that 50% of our prison space is excess and can be shut down, we can lay off 50% of the cops (or perhaps divert some of them to real crime), we can get rid of 50% of the judges and judicial system, we can expect conditions in our inner cities to improve and our poor families to become more cohesive as we stop sending massive numbers of young people to prison for stupid reasons, and resources now devoted to the lost 'war on drugs' can be put toward a new 'war on crappy schools.'

So it is pretty much all good. Although some people will stop saying "You kids get off my lawn!" long enough to complain about it.

Yep. Prohibition keeps the black market in play. History has shown that with the prohibition of alcohol. And no, we don't need just "decriminalize" cannabis, because while it might not be a crime to be in possession of small amounts, it would still be illegal to distribute, and therefore the black market would still be in control of it's distribution. LEGALIZE!!!!

Old 07-31-2014, 06:41 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
We legalized alcohol and look where that's got us. DUIs and domestic violence along with liver disease. But God forbid someone prefers to smoke pot. No one will ever convince me that marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol. Drag out those "studies" now (it's not like so-called studies are ever biased).

The other part of this is that I am sick of tired of the nanny State. So long as one doesn't harm others, it is none of the Government's business what I do privately. The other side of the story is that we keep "banning" things and allowing Government and Big Business dictate to us what we do in our personal life. Drug testing then nicotine testing and now food policing. I'll drug test when politicians, CEOs and Board Members are forced to pee in a cup.

Lastly, as previously stated, I do NOT want our LE resources wasting time on arresting pot smokers. We have way too many other crimes that need to be addressed.

Amen!

Old 07-31-2014, 06:52 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,965,657 times
IMO, ALL laws against drug use should be repealed.
If YOU want to put that junk in your body, go for it!
However, drug use should be an automatic DNR in your medical records. You will NOT be resuscitated, you gonna DIE! NO extreme life saving measures will be used, EVER, to "save the life" of a drug addict, since it is obvious the addict wants to commit suicide anyway.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
What UE said. We should legalize the rest of the currently prohibited drugs as well.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:24 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,928,124 times
That we can shoot anyone, for any reason, at any time and any place and call it self defence.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:29 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,866,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
IMO, ALL laws against drug use should be repealed.
If YOU want to put that junk in your body, go for it!
However, drug use should be an automatic DNR in your medical records. You will NOT be resuscitated, you gonna DIE! NO extreme life saving measures will be used, EVER, to "save the life" of a drug addict, since it is obvious the addict wants to commit suicide anyway.
You do, of course, include alcohol in this ridiculous tirade of yours, right? So no one who uses alcohol should be resuscitated EVER, right? I would suspect that would include you, but hey, I'm good with making sure no extreme life saving measures are ever used should you find yourself in that situation.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:05 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,725,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornIn1939 View Post
Pretty soon it will be legal to:

* Jump out of airplanes for the thrill of it
* Eat cheeseburgers that have 1 pound of meat
* Have sex with anyone
* Buy tickets that lose you money on average

I think that prohibition propaganda has gone to you're head

anyway I think you got it back azzwards!!! its not what they are going to make legal?? its what other substance are they going to make illegal in the place for legalizing that evil weed.. that's how tings work in a skewed up country...

Old 07-31-2014, 10:22 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,525,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Than we will face the same huge issues as the Netherlands has now after legalizing weed years ago. It is not just a tax income maker but there are other issues related to weed use.
Contrary to popular belief, the Netherlands has never legalized weed. It's illegal but possession and retail sale of small amounts is not prosecuted. Retail sales tax is collected but since it's technically illegal it's impossible for the govt. to effectively track and tax it. Coffee shops report sales but it's almost universally accepted that they vastly underreport them.

Production and distribution is often vigorously prosecuted in the Netherlands. Large-scale production and wholesale distribution are still done exclusively by the criminal element, the same as in most of the U.S.

The approach taken by Colorado, legalizing and completely regulating production, distribution, and use, seems to be a sensible one as it removes the criminal element and enables enforcement to concentrate on marketing, packaging, and keeping it out of the hands of minors. It also allows CO to track sales and to tax marijuana at a much higher rate than other products.
Only time will tell how this will play out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies