Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 05:11 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times

Advertisements

My thoughts wander off to those for whom Christmas will not now or ever again be quite the same. There are fifteen such families out there now in America as the result of recent deaths in Iraq. Countless more of us are recent widows and widowers. Thousands have lost a child this year and face their first holiday season with an empty space existing where a deeply beloved person ought to have been. Traditions shattered. Celebrations denied. The joy of the season sealed behind an impenetrable glass wall. One can look, but one cannot touch. I don't suppose that I'll find a new iPod under the tree on Christmas morning, but if I did, somehow it wouldn't really seem to matter all that much...

Last edited by saganista; 12-22-2007 at 06:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 05:40 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Let's just continue the theme from Linus:

"And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, 'Fear not: for behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the City of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.' And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God, and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.'"

That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.

Linus was a good man.

Ah, nice. What could be more basic.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:44 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post

P.S. And for those who don't believe in Christ, I can't understand for the life of me why they celebrate Christmas at all!
I can't for the life of me understand why you don't understand.

The Winter Solstice is probably the world's oldest holiday.

For eons human beings have seen the Winter Solstice as a time for both quiet reflection and raucous good cheer.
Stonehenge, a site which observes both the Winter and Summer Solstices, was completed 3,000 years before Christ was born.

Visvaldis, I do sympathize.
And yes, it's so sad to know there are kids who grow up thinking Christmas is some artificial creation you only see on TV.

Eschewing the gaudiness and over-spending of Christmas is not so difficult, avoiding the fake camaraderie is harder but not impossible.
Obviously the best approach is to try to avoid feeling a sense of grim *duty* about Christmas--it should not feel contrived or forced.
I have friends who go up to a remote hotel every Christmas week (they can afford it).

I opt in for Christmas--I love it. However, as the Grinch learned, Christmas isn't something you buy at the store.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:11 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Ah, nice. What could be more basic.
Are you saying that a comic strip is now the basis of Christian religion? Has it all sunk that far?

Old 12-22-2007, 06:16 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Are you saying that a comic strip is now the basis of Christian religion? Has it all sunk that far?
Are you implying that Christianity now threatens to make comic strips irrelevant?

Old 12-22-2007, 07:22 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Let's just continue the theme from Linus:

"And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, 'Fear not: for behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the City of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.' And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God, and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.'"

That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.

Linus was a good man.
The last part of the quote, "and on earth peace, good will toward men"...is that the way things are?

Old 12-22-2007, 07:33 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The last part of the quote, "and on earth peace, good will toward men"...is that the way things are?
I think it's the way things would be if the Christmas spirit lived in all of us.

But we've got to make a move....

Old 12-22-2007, 06:40 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Leave it to the liberal moonbats to look at the comic strip and only the comic strip rather than the message that it sends. Short sighted!!

Old 12-22-2007, 06:41 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Something we all should aspire to.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:56 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,326,850 times
Visvaldis...u sound like a hater. Christmas is what u choose to make of it for u. I think Christmas is one of the best times of the year. I see more generosity, sincerity and selfless acts of kindness during this season than I do any other time of the year. When I am going about my day at the mall, the grocery store, church or at a gas station people greet meet with a smile or sometimes a pleasant exchange of conversation and a heart felt Merry Christmas. It sounds like u need to remember JESUS is the reason for the seasons and no matter what your belief or faith is there is something very positive about this season that brings people together. Merry Christmas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies