Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 06:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

I'm just trying to understand what separates Laura Ingraham from Bruce Springsteen?

Because she belongs (supposedly) to a gilded class that is somehow ordained to speak about politics?

Who the hell is Mark Levin or Mike Reagan that folks wanna hear their political views? Maybe THEY should shut up.

But Springsteen...a guy with a real job, should be quiet?

This makes no sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 06:37 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,277,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm just trying to understand what separates Laura Ingraham from Bruce Springsteen?
Her fans tune in because they wish to hear her political opinions, his fans tune in because they want to hear his music.

Quote:
Who the hell is Mark Levin or Mike Reagan that folks wanna hear their political views? Maybe THEY should shut up.
I have little doubt that they would say the same thing about you or me. But people do want to hear their views, tune in to hear them, and sit through all the ads they sell to hear them. You could probably get a show of your own with enough luck and effort - all that is required is the desire to say what you think.

Quote:
But Springsteen...a guy with a real job, should be quiet?
Singing is no real job... no more than spouting one's thoughts on the radio is. People pay them for it, but it's not a real job.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:19 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,123,754 times
While it is true that entertainers can speak about anything that they wish; it can leave me feeling as if I can often no longer enjoy their performances.

After the first U2 album their music was tainted; the same can be said for the Dixie Chicks, Ted Nugent as well as actors Susan Sarandon, Sean Penn and even Clint Eastwood (whom I have always adored (with the exception of those many unfortunate movies in the 1970's - "Bronco Billy" or "The Any Which Way" movies).

Sometimes I just want to be entertained; which is what I want from entertainers.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:33 PM

37,168 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Nugent was a guest on Huckabee's show a few years ago. Huckabee, a bass player, joined Nugent for a rendition of Cat Scratch Fever. I laughed my ass off as I watched a Christian preacher in accompaniment to "I got it from the p ussy next door."
Who was the "Christian" preacher?

Old 08-01-2014, 07:36 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,433 times
No, rules obviously dont apply to conservatives. David Vitter can sleep with hookers and Rep. Scott Desjarlais can bang his patients and force his ex wife to get abortions all he wants. Republicans are lucky to have a braindead electorate whose any misdeed is erased by Rush telling people to reelect them.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
No, rules obviously dont apply to conservatives. David Vitter can sleep with hookers and Rep. Scott Desjarlais can bang his patients and force his ex wife to get abortions all he wants. Republicans are lucky to have a braindead electorate whose any misdeed is erased by Rush telling people to reelect them.
Tell it to Todd Akin...

Old 08-01-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
Her fans tune in because they wish to hear her political opinions, his fans tune in because they want to hear his music.

I have little doubt that they would say the same thing about you or me. But people do want to hear their views, tune in to hear them, and sit through all the ads they sell to hear them. You could probably get a show of your own with enough luck and effort - all that is required is the desire to say what you think.

Singing is no real job... no more than spouting one's thoughts on the radio is. People pay them for it, but it's not a real job.
Springsteen remains highly popular despite spewing his views.

So maybe people DO wanna hear his views on politics.

Singing might not be a real job, but running what must be akin to Springsteen Inc definitely is. That's a major operation. And he damn sure coughs up a lot more taxes than those hacks do.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
While it is true that entertainers can speak about anything that they wish; it can leave me feeling as if I can often no longer enjoy their performances.

After the first U2 album their music was tainted; the same can be said for the Dixie Chicks, Ted Nugent as well as actors Susan Sarandon, Sean Penn and even Clint Eastwood (whom I have always adored (with the exception of those many unfortunate movies in the 1970's - "Bronco Billy" or "The Any Which Way" movies).

Sometimes I just want to be entertained; which is what I want from entertainers.
U2 tainted?

LMAO..Please. They're only the greatest rock and roll band of the last 35 years, hands down.

Like...no other band is even close.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:49 PM

15,529 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Does "Shut up and sing" apply also to Ted Nugent and other conservative performers or is it only liberal performers that aren't supposed to voice their opinions

Political Thunder: Ted Nugent to Obama: "suck on my machine gun!"
Yes, all of them.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Springsteen remains highly popular despite spewing his views.

So maybe people DO wanna hear his views on politics.

Singing might not be a real job, but running what must be akin to Springsteen Inc definitely is. That's a major operation. And he damn sure coughs up a lot more taxes than those hacks do.
Last I heard he gets boo'ed for it.... between him and the Dixie Chicks, and Nugent, it seems like fans don't want to hear this stuff when they've just shelled out maybe $100 or more for a ticket. They are there for the music, not opinion.

Couldn't possibly care less how much he pays in taxes. Doesn't make his opinion worth any more than yours or mine. Of course, I've never liked him or his music much. I do like the Dixie Chicks though, as well as The Black Keys, so it has little to do with Springsteen's politics or behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies