Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you comfortable with the Ebola victims being brought to the US?
Yes 54 50.00%
No 54 50.00%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 08:38 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
These two people are coming home isolated, that's great. Again, I'm not worried about them. However, what about the people like Mr Sawyer? He got on a plane in Liberia, flew to Nigeria and was supposed to catch a flight to the states. He was to ill to catch the connecting flight and the poor guy died. My question or concern is - what if he had been on a direct flight from Liberia to the US? The airlines wouldn't know what killed him (well, they might now) and the plane might not be properly cleaned. Would they know to use bleach, think of all the stuff the man touched. And, what if the passengers left not knowing they were exposed. Mr Sawyer wasn't so sick that he couldn't stagger onto his first flight, we are lucky it wasn't a nonstop.
This why Ebola makes for a bad pandemic. People in the contagious stage are not just visibly ill, they're so weak as to hardly be able to spread the virus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 08:43 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
I am ok with bringing sick Americans home for treatment, as long as all safety protocols are followed. Foreigners? Treat them in their own country.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:47 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,069,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I'm not saying citizens should be told no if they're begging to return, but everything possible to encourage them to stay where they are should be done. If that means flying 100 American doctors over there to care for them at taxpayer expense, so be it. Government does have a role in preventing diseases from entering the country.

This just isn't worth the risk. Do you really think these healthcare workers weren't taking almost every precaution they could?
If the US can move thousands of military troops and billions of dollars worth of equipment to another country, the US can move hundreds of medical staff and millions of dollars worth of equipment to another country.

We have the capabilities to build entire complexes in a very short period of time. Complexes that could safely and securely house both the sick and the medical staff. Complexes that could both treat and research. No........I don't believe that a disease should be brought to this country that has such a high mortality rate. Will I lose sleep over this? Not yet. But you can bet your last dollar that I will be paying attention to how this shakes out. We're playing a dangerous game here that has real potential to go very bad very quickly. Just the "potential" should have been enough for us to find another way to effectively deal with this problem.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:50 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
Wink Why you aren't going to get Ebola in the U.S.

Transmission of Ebola requires direct contact with an infected person’s blood, vomit or feces during the period that he or she is contagious, something that is extremely unlikely for anyone but health-care workers. The virus is not spread by coughing or sneezing. Nor do Americans bury their own dead family members or friends, as some residents of Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea must do with Ebola victims.

Why you’re not going to get Ebola in the U.S. - The Washington Post

Old 08-02-2014, 09:00 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,069,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Transmission of Ebola requires direct contact with an infected person’s blood, vomit or feces during the period that he or she is contagious, something that is extremely unlikely for anyone but health-care workers. The virus is not spread by coughing or sneezing. Nor do Americans bury their own dead family members or friends, as some residents of Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea must do with Ebola victims.

From your link, the White House spokesman put out a statement on behalf of the CDC stating the it is unlikely that Ebola could spread in the United States.

Well........that makes me feel better. How about you?

Old 08-03-2014, 12:09 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
This why Ebola makes for a bad pandemic. People in the contagious stage are not just visibly ill, they're so weak as to hardly be able to spread the virus.
From WHO's website:

Quote:
People are infectious as long as their blood and secretions contain the virus. Ebola virus was isolated from semen 61 days after onset of illness in a man who was infected in a laboratory.
The incubation period, that is, the time interval from infection with the virus to onset of symptoms, is 2 to 21 days.
Guess again.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

Old 08-03-2014, 12:10 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post

That's a relief. Only undertakers will die.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:19 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
This guy not as stupid as the posters here:

Quote:
Tennessee doctor who placed himself in quarantine after volunteering in West Africa, where the Ebola virus is rampant, says he's "feeling well" and showing no sign of symptoms.

Alan Jamison, a retired pediatrician, returned home to Morristown, Tenn., after he was evacuated from Liberia by the aid group he was volunteering for -- working at the same hospital as Dr. Kent Brantly, an American now fighting the deadly virus....

Since landing in the U.S., he said he's had no physical contact with anyone and has only been near his daughter, who picked him up from the airport. Jamison said he plans to hole up at home until the 21-day incubation period is completed.
Tenn. Man in Quarantine After Ebola Outbreak: 'I'm Feeling Well' - ABC News

Old 08-03-2014, 12:39 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,708 times
this should be do you mind them being brought to YOUR city??
I happen to live 15 miles from EMORY and I am not crazy about this
especially with the CDC involved it was here in Atlanta that they screwed up with Anthrax
top level scientists sent Anthrax to the wrong lab it was just reported that CDC is not following precool
for this
this is the same CDC who until a few years ago could not order the right amount of flu vaccines
nope have no trust in them on this

Old 08-03-2014, 01:07 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier2 View Post
It has an 80% rate of fatality.

Are you kidding me?
Only if you get contacted.

Obviously, you don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies