Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 06:46 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
I guess you would think that some company would be an all in one, cleanup, transport and disposal..
As I understand it a different license and permit to transport hazardous material on Texas highways.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:48 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
As I understand it a different license and permit to transport hazardous material on Texas highways.

There are different HazMat regulations for the transport and disposal of different types of hazardous materials, and this is the case in all states.

Not all hazardous material is the same!

Old 10-03-2014, 06:58 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
Ok I saw an interview with the taxi driver who took the Liberian pregnant woman to the hospital, the one mr. Duncan helped. The cab driver said he got a call about a sick pregnant woman. She was 7 months pregnant and apparently they thought she was having a miscarriage.

So is it possible that mr Duncan thought he was just assisting a pregnant neighbor and not someone with Ebola? I mean really, if he was planning on staying in the US with his girlfriend, why would he want to get her sick?
Or the cab driver made up the story for his 15 minutes of fame or because a reporter paid him $100, substantially more than he could make in a month.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:01 PM

302 posts, read 196,568 times
Quote:
Or the cab driver made up the story for his 15 minutes of fame or because a reporter paid him $100, substantially more than he could make in a month.
If he is making less than $100 he is sleeping on the streets and starving. That's below minimum wage.

Anyway, this whole case is however extremely sensationalized. Ebola is not an easily transmissible disease, and is not veyr contagious. It flourishes in Africa because of the extremely poor water quality and resisting to medical care.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical Paradox View Post
If he is making less than $100 he is sleeping on the streets and starving. That's below minimum wage.

Anyway, this whole case is however extremely sensationalized. Ebola is not an easily transmissible disease, and is not veyr contagious. It flourishes in Africa because of the extremely poor water quality and resisting to medical care.
The average net worth of a Liberian in Liberia is $781. You're kidding about the minimum wage thing, right?

Old 10-03-2014, 07:28 PM

546 posts, read 547,155 times
How about a dose of common deduction. The Ebola virus was contained in about 3 West Africa countries. Then, when a few Americans contracted it, they were offered to come back to the US to be hospitalized. This looks like a purely humanitarian venture, and CDC was able to jump in, get samples from those recipients, and start developing a vaccine. Essentially, someone from our government decided that the natural barrier of an ocean and a long distance could be breached on 'their' say so.

I wouldn't think too much about that, and hope that a cure is found; except for one item. I'm not one to advocate natural cures that I have no personal evidence of their usefulness, but I have heard that nanosilver is effective against Ebola. That being said, it is interesting that the World Health Org. has not allowed nanosilver into Sierra Leone 3 different times to see if it works against Ebola. Declassified documents obtained from the U.S. Department of Defense revealed that antimicrobial silver solutions like the kind NSF is trying to deliver to Africa have proven benefits in fighting Ebola and other forms of hemorrhagic fever. WHO stated previously, that they would welcome any alternatives that may help cure this disease, so why are they blocking nanosilver...Hmmm?

Governments seize colloidal silver being used to treat Ebola patients, says advocate - NaturalNews.com#

This has the smell of greed all over it, and if it is true that nanosilver works, then we are looking at a disgusting action taken by pharmaceutical companies to possibly help spread a disease by destroying a natural barrier, make a cure, and then make a huge profit.

I realize that there will be naysayers to a post like this, but I must ask, "Are we willing to try something different, and not profitable for major corporations, in the interest of saving lives? Or are we only interested in doing what certain officials tell us, and staying within the status quo?"

Old 10-03-2014, 07:35 PM

302 posts, read 196,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The average net worth of a Liberian in Liberia is $781. You're kidding about the minimum wage thing, right?
Oh, my, I had read that as them being an American taxi driver. My mistake.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Could someone please tell Bobby Jingle and Fox News there are no flights between the US and the infected nations.

Unless they've recently stopped this flight, United Airlines flies directly from Houston to Lagos, Nigeria. Nigeria is one of the countries experiencing an outbreak of Ebola.

Arik Air flies from Lagos, Nigeria directly into JFK three times a week also, I believe.

Delta Airlines has direct flights into Ghana (west Africa, nestled snugly between Nigeria and Liberia) from JFK and Atlanta.

United Airlines also flies directly from JFK into Ghana.

Direct Flights to Africa From the US

Ghana hasn't had any reported cases of Ebola, but the UN just opened a headquarters facility for Ebola patients from that region in Ghana.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-n-open...bola-in-ghana/

Old 10-03-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical Paradox View Post
Oh, my, I had read that as them being an American taxi driver. My mistake.
Whew, I was about to send the paddy wagon your way with a straight jacket and Nurse Ratchet on board.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
The pregnant girl is dead, her brother is dead, the two parents are in an ebola clinic, the boyfriend disappeared 4 weeks ago, the aunt next door is dead and her best friend just died. All of ebola and Duncan lived in that house.

The cab driver is the only one left alive. I think I'll believe him.

The story first broke on a Liberian site which gave away his name.

Those paranoid tin foil hat conspiracy sites had that info with links before the MSM/CDC had no choice but to say his name because it was already leaked and circulating over the net.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies