Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 10:40 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times

Advertisements

Patient zero just died.

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
None of this matters because:

Symptoms + Recent travel in West Africa = Ebola risk. Bottom line. You err on the side of caution.
And that is the changes that were made.

It became clear that Duncan didn't know he was exposed and answered NO to all questions both here in the US and in Liberia.

All those doctors knew they were exposed and treated their symptoms.
And what you posted above I already posted as what the CDC has changed.

You can go to the CDC site and see their modified guidelines, poster and checklist.
They aren't asking about contact with ebola victims now.

3,971 posts, read 4,038,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
How the hell do you close your borders to African travel? Presumably there are no direct flights from Liberia to Dallas. So that plane went thru a hub city in Europe. You've got people from all over the world at that airport, and then on that plane.

You would have to build isolation units at every airport in the world. And then you would have to isolate all passengers (including crew) if a person had symptoms whilst on the flight. You've just taken out an entire flight crew for at least three weeks.

It's not practical.
Actually, Ellis Island was very good at containing illness.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Or did JJ's people make contact with Duncan's family? JJ has a tendency to make just about anything all about JJ.

Everyone is curious why the dots were not connected in Duncan's initial presentation at the ER and why he did not recive the same treatment as others diagnosed and subsequently transported back to the US. I guess it's easier to pull the race card than accept human error as it relates to the initial diagnosis.

We don't know how Duncan's condition, when admitted to the hospital compared to those who had been diagnosed in Liberia. It's possible some of Duncan's organs had already shut down.

And given the likely litigation the hospital is not in the best position to make further public statements.
The family from NC called Jesse Jackson when they got to Texas.
This is the same ones that say they called the CDC.

HIPPA got in the way of non family members wanting his status (girlfriend).
They wanted Jesse to come and help them get access to Duncan and his status.

They let the girlfriend out of quarantine on Tuesday and brought her to the hospital to see him (yup..they did).
I guess they already knew he was going downhill.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:42 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Patient zero just died.
Sadly.

At least that means some here can get out from under their beds since he was the only case of Ebola in the US.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:44 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Angel Island was better at containing the spread of disease, but I don't think many people want to see that happen again.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I had a great uncle that spent 3 weeks in quarantine because he got sick on the boat.
He got released though.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:47 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
"She took off her headgear and then TOUCHED her face"

Your words.

Let's not equivocate.
I've never heard of anyone getting HIV, hep c or other related disease just by touching their face. Very scary.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:49 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,669,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And that is the changes that were made.

It became clear that Duncan didn't know he was exposed and answered NO to all questions both here in the US and in Liberia.

All those doctors knew they were exposed and treated their symptoms.
And what you posted above I already posted as what the CDC has changed.

You can go to the CDC site and see their modified guidelines, poster and checklist.
They aren't asking about contact with ebola victims now.
I realize you will go to the ends of the earth to defend the incompetence of the Dallas hospital, but the Symptoms + West Africa = Ebola risk equation was true BEFORE Duncan arrived and REGARDLESS of what he answered on some idiotic questionnaire.

Would you agree that:

- the CDC does not run the Dallas hospital

- the CDC does not staff the Dallas hospital

- the CDC is not responsible for the actions of the Dallas hospital

Since you obviously still do not understand what I'm driving at, I'll attempt, one last time, to clarify it.

1. Guy from West Africa walks into emergency room with symptoms that could be Ebola.

2. ???

3. Guy is sent home.

If you know exactly what happened at step 2, please enlighten us. No one but a few people at that hospital know exactly what happened.

If they do not inform us, and all healthcare professionals across the country, there is a chance it could happen again.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:49 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Sadly.

At least that means some here can get out from under their beds since he was the only case of Ebola in the US.
Ashoka Mukpo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies