Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 05:53 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
That's one thing that really bothers me. People are acting like they know everything about Ebola Zaire and how it spreads. I don't think we know much at all. Until now the only place it was studied was very small outbreaks in rural Africa. We don't even know if animals can spread it to humans or which animals. Bats, maybe, in theory. Again we don't really know.
Scientists have been studying Ebola (and the family of viruses to which it belongs) since 1976. A great deal is known, down to the molecular structure of its RNA. They do know that bats and some non-human primates can get it and humans can get it from them.

What is known about how humans transmit it to each other comes from direct observation during outbreaks. Just because the media did not run with it until recently does not mean "We really don't know."

Old 10-08-2014, 07:10 PM

27,131 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke
You mean our WIDE open southern border?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
no. I mean our idiotically undefended WIDE open southern boarder that our idiot president hung a welcome sign on.

Yep, that's the one!

Old 10-08-2014, 07:15 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Your not quite as bright as you make yourself out to be are you.

You deluding yourself if you think protocols don't exist to stop all passangers on commercial flights entering the US from a specific country
Actually he is being skeptical which in this instance is warranted. I don't see any reason to throw insults

Old 10-08-2014, 07:26 PM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Scientists have been studying Ebola (and the family of viruses to which it belongs) since 1976. A great deal is known, down to the molecular structure of its RNA. They do know that bats and some non-human primates can get it and humans can get it from them.

What is known about how humans transmit it to each other comes from direct observation during outbreaks. Just because the media did not run with it until recently does not mean "We really don't know."
I have read your frequent posts in this thread and on this subject, and you appear to speak with a good deal of authority. What are your sources of information, what is your degree in, and what medical profession are you working in?

Old 10-08-2014, 08:10 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I have read your frequent posts in this thread and on this subject, and you appear to speak with a good deal of authority. What are your sources of information, what is your degree in, and what medical profession are you working in?
My sources are from the internet, degrees in biologic sciences, and I am my husband's office manager.

This site helps you avoid the junk hits when searching and takes you straight to scientific articles and sites:
PogoFrog... a Medical Search Engine

I look for material mostly from .edu and .gov sites, not .com. Unlike many who post here I do not believe there is a vast conspiracy on the part of the CDC and WHO to deceive us.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:11 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Refuse to let them disembark from the aircraft and the countries they are coming in from
won't bring them knowing that.

Let it be known by prior advisement.
And if they are US citizens?

Old 10-08-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Perhaps they will just sue a little bit then. The physician should be fired and the hospital should pay some compensation and/or not bill. I don't think they should be taken to the cleaners. A lot of the Liberians on the NE side of town work for all the various health agencies in and around Presbyterian. They are well respected and vice versa. I just don't see any sense in blowing that all up. All the ZMapp is gone, the odds were stacked against the guy from the get go.
Yet, against all odds he managed to land in a highly respected hospital in Dallas, Texas instead of dying and decaying on a road in Liberia like thousands of others.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Exactly. It's amazing how many ebolists (my name for people who want ebola to spread) are saying it's impossible for the government to prevent. Back in the 90s the irs sent auditors to Meryl lynch to question employees about how much free soda they took from the kitchen so they could tax it. If they can micromanage soda in a kitchen they can restrict travel to and from ebola cesspools.
OT- Coffee and soda provided as a fringe benefits to employees is not a taxable benefit and the IRS did not audit Merrill Lynch employees consumption.

Merrill, like many companies, ceased to provide coffee and soda to all employees for two reasons, employee theft and cost.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:53 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The 2 non US commercial carriers who are still flying to/ from Liberia have been doing so since the epidemic began 6 months ago. Reportedly they are taking thermal temps of all passengers before they board and deny passage to anyone who displays symptoms. Thus far, no flight attendant / pilot has become infected with the virus despite close contact with hundreds of passengers departing Liberia 3 X a week and overnight layovers in Liberia.

Duncan had 6-7 hours within the terminals in Belgium before departing for Dulles. He had 3 hours+/- between flights before departing for Dallas. He had no symptoms and was not in a contagious state.
Yeah, well, that was then and this is now. The rate of infection doubles every three to four weeks. I think it's absolutely time to ban travel to anyone who is not essential to help with the outbreak. It can be done, and should have been done in June or July. It's ridiculous how long this has been allowed to get out of control. And for what? The African tourism industry? Energy industry? I'm trying to figure out why we're so worried about the economy when allowing the outbreak to get this far is going to have much more far-reaching effects on the entire global economy.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump99 View Post
You notice the 500lb gorilla in the room?

The two white guys that had Ebola and came to the US were treated and now recovering from Ebola. The black guy that came to the US with Ebola was treated and died.

What can we conclude from this?

1. That Ebola takes a heavier toll on blacks and blacks are susceptible to Ebola

2. The white men were treated better.

3. Hospital choice matters.
Conversely, 3 white MDs, US citizens, became symptomatic and were diagnosed in Liberia and received immediate treatment, followed by transport to US hospitals.

Ebola is color blind and an equal opportunity destroyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies