Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 11:18 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,030,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Then I guess the CDC is wrong, because the CDC does not agree with obama.
I think I will believe the doctors.
AFAIK, they are not proven liars.
I'll believe the actual ways you can get infected with ebola.

Which.

Isn't by casual contact.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:27 AM

13,673 posts, read 8,976,887 times
Quote:
Then I guess the CDC is wrong, because the CDC does not agree with obama.
I think I will believe the doctors.
AFAIK, they are not proven liars.
I looked at your link, with the CDC link embedded, and I still can't find the 'disagreement' between President Obama and the CDC. Note that the CDC did address that those with active symptoms should avoid contact with people.

Anyway, to date, those four people who lived in the same house with the late Mr. Duncan have not shown any symptoms (to date).

Old 10-10-2014, 11:56 AM

18,670 posts, read 33,286,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
So, because the healthcare workers are not at risk for MRSA, they don't take proper precautions to not infect patients? Is that your meaning or am I misreading?
No, I'm saying that the patients are compromised by their surgeries in the first place, whereas healthcare workers tending to Ebola patients are at highest risk.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,608,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Don't have a link but the AP was given the health records of Mr. Duncan from his family. Records show that he was released even after the hospital documented that he had a 103 degree fever. They even had the data point flagged. This is a big error. Ebola or not patients with this type of fever are at the very least held in observation. He also reported diarrhea and vomiting.
I am reading he presented with severe abdominal pain, dizziness, headache and decreased urnation and the fever. No mention of vomiting or diarrhea. He received CT scans to rule out appendicitis, stroke and other ailments. He was given antibiotics and sent home.

Regardless of race or payment, it's probable that a similar situation could have played out in hundreds of hospitals, anywhere, especially given flu season.

I am reading conflicting reports about the discloure of his recent travels, Africa versus Liberia. Regardless, no one connected the dots.

There is nothing to indicate he or GF communicated he recently arrived from an Ebola hot spot, that might have made a difference. Did they not connect the dots or perhaps they were ignorant of the symptoms or in denial?

Old 10-10-2014, 12:19 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,935,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I looked at your link, with the CDC link embedded, and I still can't find the 'disagreement' between President Obama and the CDC. Note that the CDC did address that those with active symptoms should avoid contact with people.

Anyway, to date, those four people who lived in the same house with the late Mr. Duncan have not shown any symptoms (to date).
I am not going to cut and paste all of what the CDC is quoted as saying in the article, but it IS there, and it is quite clear, if you actually read it.
The way I read it, there is a lack of agreement between the President and the CDC about how people in Ebola riddled countries should conduct themselves, whether they are infected and showing symptoms or not. I side with the CDC.
While I realize there are huge differences between Ebola and the flu, I have not had the flu in years, and I have not had a flu shot in years. I avoid airplanes, buses, and trains. I avoid crowds. We live in the country, away from the city. Avoiding people allows me to avoid infections.
It works for the flu, and it would work to avoid Ebola or any other virus!

Old 10-10-2014, 12:22 PM

40,936 posts, read 49,025,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post

Which.

Isn't by casual contact.
Why does the CDC recommend you stay at least 3ft or more away from Ebola patients ?

Why did the CDC recommend not riding on public transport in those countries ?

Old 10-10-2014, 12:25 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,935,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post

Which.

Isn't by casual contact.
So, if you are on a bus in Africa, and there are several people around you sneezing and coughing, you won't be a bit concerned about their saliva being in the air you breathe?
I sure would be!
But then, I'm not about to go to Africa for any reason!

Old 10-10-2014, 12:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,608,492 times
Quote:
Since you obviously did not read the article, here is the first paragraph for your information and edification:
" Speaking in a
video message to residents of West African countries currently experiencing outbreaks of Ebola, President Barack Obama dispensed advice on how residents can avoid the disease, including:"You cannot get it through casual contact like sitting next to someone on a bus.""

Now, having read that paragraph, exactly WHO was obama speaking to?
Oh, right, "...residents of West African countries currently experiencing outbreaks of Ebola,..."
Well, shucks...
Most of those residents have been attempting to take care of their own family members and continue to participate in traditional funeral customs that often involves touching the deceased.

Given the lack of potable water, sewer systems, hospitals and healthcare workers as well as cultural distrust of science, families face the choice of tradition versus evacuating their home or leaving friends and family to die the street.

I suspect caring for someone with Ebola at home and / or having a life celebration of the deceased with the body present carries a higher risk of exposure than riding a bus.

What's remarkable to me is that the percentage of people in these hot spots contracting Ebola has been relatively small, all things considered.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:48 PM

15,499 posts, read 10,440,480 times
News from The Associated Press[/quote]

If true, then 1400 pages shows he was thoroughly looked at. We were lead to believe the doc just popped his head in the room and tossed the guy some meds.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:56 PM

1,438 posts, read 776,007 times
Default Republicans have slashed funding for public health while complaining about Ebola

Republicans are Ebola hypocrites: What they really think of public health - Salon.com

Republicans complain about the response to the Ebola outbreak but they've dealt crushing blows to public health funding since 2010. If they don't want to be massive hypocrites they should fully fund the NIH and CDC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies