Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 01:36 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
We don't have an Ro number for this outbreak, and won't have one until it's over. It hasn't been contained yet.

This epidemic has already surpassed numbers of the last outbreak in Congo which started May 1995.

I repeat. Zero evidence that this outbreak or any previous outbreak of Ebola has transmitted from human to human by anything other than direct personal contact.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:38 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Ebola is spread through direct contact with blood or body fluids

once again. Being on a plane with an Ebola patient is contagious. Well how many lotteries have you won? Stilll less than 2k people have EVER died from this. Teatnus (rusty nails) i'm reading is 250k lives in Africa.

So lets pretend you won the jack pot. I'll bite.

1 - the guy if he is really sick, well. . .i'm pretty sure you would get diverted. So I'm assuming a hidden amount of sickness here.

Your skin, in general, keeps stuff like this out. So yeah, I would avoid liking the toilet, or even drinking from those facets. I would avoid taking open sores and rubbing it against peoples saliva or poop or pee.

I wonder what your thought process is on virus. Do you think people are just like bleeding ebola sweat, blood, and spit into the facet? Smearing feeces all over the place. Even a "touch" isn't likely to be a huge concern. You have to get enough virus on your hand, etc, touch yourself.

seems like you could use standard precautions
- You use liberal amount of soap and water. You push down on the button and whipe off. You then use a paper towel to be courteous of your next person

- Hell if your really friken scared you could bring along an achol sanitize. I would think your nuts, but thats you.

I wonder what you worry about next. Perhaps a falling asteroid will hit your seat?
I am not scared at all.
Again as I said before in previous post and as what Kathryn said, we are not scared or panicky.
We are just following the information / development closely.
I am just stating possibilities.

So the ebola patient by now will wipe the faucet after usage for courtesy? Really?
How do you know they will do that?

Have you watched this segment in dateline NBC about how they investigate restrooms both in more common areas such as parks, as well as five-star hotels?
Do you know where those pee, feces particles and obviously semen ended up as they were checking the places with special lights?

Old 08-06-2014, 01:40 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
Quote:

You can aerosolize virtually any disease, this isn't any kind of news. Engineered lab conditions and real life are not one and the same.

Quote:
. Virus-containing droplets of 0.8-1.2 microns were generated and administered into the respiratory tract of rhesus monkeys via inhalation.

Don't let any Ebola infected rhesus monkeys spit into your mouth and you should be okay!

Old 08-06-2014, 01:43 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
The Phillipines are monitoring all travelers from Africa for 1 Month upon return-seems like a good idea.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:45 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
Quote:
depends on the variant

the variant in question right now is not airborne

Old 08-06-2014, 01:45 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
You can aerosolize virtually any disease, this isn't any kind of news. Engineered lab conditions and real life are not one and the same.

Don't let any Ebola infected rhesus monkeys spit into your mouth and you should be okay!

This page says it's possible to transmit with NO CONTACT.

Lethal experimental infections of rhesus monkeys by aerosolized Ebola virus.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:47 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Ebola is spread through direct contact with blood or body fluids

once again. Being on a plane with an Ebola patient is contagious. Well how many lotteries have you won? Stilll less than 2k people have EVER died from this. Teatnus (rusty nails) i'm reading is 250k lives in Africa.

So lets pretend you won the jack pot. I'll bite.

1 - the guy if he is really sick, well. . .i'm pretty sure you would get diverted. So I'm assuming a hidden amount of sickness here.

Your skin, in general, keeps stuff like this out. So yeah, I would avoid liking the toilet, or even drinking from those facets. I would avoid taking open sores and rubbing it against peoples saliva or poop or pee.

I wonder what your thought process is on virus. Do you think people are just like bleeding ebola sweat, blood, and spit into the facet? Smearing feeces all over the place. Even a "touch" isn't likely to be a huge concern. You have to get enough virus on your hand, etc, touch yourself.

seems like you could use standard precautions
- You use liberal amount of soap and water. You push down on the button and whipe off. You then use a paper towel to be courteous of your next person

- Hell if your really friken scared you could bring along an achol sanitize. I would think your nuts, but thats you.

I wonder what you worry about next. Perhaps a falling asteroid will hit your seat?
Open sewage in many parts of Africa is a huge issue so yes poop is spread around. People do sweat Ebola virus and the practice of touching the dead is a cause of spreading this. So yes, touching there or touching here will spread the disease. Alcohol/Purell won't kill this bug. Do you think that the health care people would bother with all those layers of protection if it were as simple a problem as you make it out to be? If it were not contagious as they say, then how did those poor doctors get it with all that protective gear on?

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I am not scared at all.
Again as I said before in previous post and as what Kathryn said, we are not scared or panicky.
We are just following the information / development closely.
I am just stating possibilities.

So the ebola patient by now will wipe the faucet after usage for courtesy? Really?
How do you know they will do that?

Have you watched this segment in dateline NBC about how they investigate restrooms both in more common areas such as parks, as well as five-star hotels?
Do you know where those pee, feces particles and obviously semen ended up as they were checking the places with special lights?
i'm saying you should push down on that little thing and drain the sink - not the Ebola patient

for someone who isn't worried, why are you so sure that planes are death traps

you do know that no one has ever caught Ebola on a plane?

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It is not clear from the article what is meant by that statement. At another point the "importation" is discussed in terms of travel to the Philippines, especially. You seem to be trying to link the outbreak with illegal immigration from our southern border. The poster is correct, that latin American vaccine rates for MMR are about equal to our own and that is not a likely source. Immigrants and travelers from other areas of the world may be more to blame. It is best to get vaccinated.

Along the same lines, there is an outbreak of mumps in Ohio.
Do you think the only people coming in through our southern border are Mexican or Central or South American? No. There are "OTM" designations at the border patrol facilities, meaning "Other Than Mexican", and there are people from many different countries coming in through that border. Further, I live in a city with a high population of people from Viet Nam, Philippines, Korea, India, Africa, and generally all over the world.

I did say I make sure my kids are vaccinated. They've been vaccinated since they were newborns, and they're 14 and 11 now. I can understand not vaccinating if a baby has a bad reaction at her two-week shot or one-month shot, but if they don't have bad reactions why on earth would people not vaccinate? The kids who do have bad reactions rely on the herd effect of everyone else vaccinating, and to not do so is a disservice to them as well as to their own children.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:49 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Ebola is also transmitted through the air.

Transmission of Ebola virus from pigs to non-human primates : Scientific Reports : Nature Publishing Group
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies