Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 10:52 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Yes!
I literally laughing at work when I read "the government have it under control". If they have it under control. they won't let the first person - let alone POSSIBLY the second one - roamed free for 2 days.
It sounds like the hospital -- not exactly the government -- botched this one.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:52 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Yes. Absolutely!

And the horse they rode in on!
I think we were very successful in containing and treating these two people and no, they should not have been left to die there. THat said, I wished our missionaries would stay the hell home and avoid Africa. Not sure we should have sent our troops, probably untrained in blood borne pathology, over to that hot box. How it was that the great influenza started here, with returning troops.
I am not in panic mode. Just aware that something, sometime will wipe out a vast number of humans. Or Iran will become nuclear and wipe us out.......either or.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:53 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
PANIC! FEAR! PANIC! FEAR! PANIC! FEAR! PANIC! FEAR!

You know the same way people are reacting to this is the same way people racted to HIV/AIDS when it first came here.

Instead of giving in the the paranoia factor the media wants (so YOU can watch and they can get ratings) get the facts first. You can be cautious and concerned without turning into Chicken Little, you know.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I was just talking the same thing with a friend this afternoon. These terrorists are obviously prepared to die anyway for their cause. Does it matter to them whether they die by a bomb blast in a coffee shop or die as a bloody, melting mess from ebola?

How hard would it be for some of these radicals to deliberately become infected, spend 24 hours in planes making their way here, fly into the US and spend a few days being as public as they can? Go work out in a gym, go eat a few meals in restaurants, go buy a few groceries in a grocery store, buy a soda at a convenience store, go to a movie, stand in line at a coffee shop, take a subway, walk into and wander around a police department and a hospital and a kids playground and a church. The possibilities are endless and so are the number of people they could infect before the virus takes them down.
I think there is a short window of opportunity for a bio terrorist with Ebola to go to the gym, eat out etc. They would be showing signs of illness and that is when they are contagious, so eating will not be occurring, nor gym workouts. But they could make sure they spread it around the hospital for sure. Now, stretching the imagination...one terrorist could become infected, the other terrorists in the cell could gather his blood and urine and go spread it around...even though they themselves would become ill and crap out. I think the terrorists would rather blow things up, behead secretaries myself.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Look folks..no matter how much you dislike Texas..this is EBOLA on US soil.
Pray that this guy was not a social "Typhoid Joe".
I love TX.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:05 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,046 times
News conference

Texas Gov. Rick Perry, Dallas Mayor Rawlings, DISD chief Miles discuss Ebola case | Dallas Morning News

Old 10-01-2014, 11:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
PANIC! FEAR! PANIC! FEAR! PANIC! FEAR! PANIC! FEAR!

You know the same way people are reacting to this is the same way people racted to HIV/AIDS when it first came here.

Instead of giving in the the paranoia factor the media wants (so YOU can watch and they can get ratings) get the facts first. You can be cautious and concerned without turning into Chicken Little, you know.
If I lived up in Dallas I'd be taking super extra precautions about going out and dealing with the public.
Wouldn't you ?

That is not fear and panic.

Fear and panic is packing your bags and leaving town.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:08 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Quote:
If I lived up in Dallas I'd be taking super extra precautions about going out and dealing with the public.
Wouldn't you ?

Still, though, it wouldn't be imprudent to stock up on 10% distilled vinegar.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:09 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times
Meh. The sky isn't falling. Hope the person gets better.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:10 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Wouldn't you ?

I think it depends on what the "super extra precautions" are?

Some people have suggested on this thread carpet bombing several countries in West Africa. I believe that response falls under "fear and panic".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies