Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 11:50 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't think anyone but the patient has been infected yet. His female companion and the kids that are locked in his contaminated apartment are likely doomed though.

Close the borders with Texas, too.
You try closing them and we might keep them closed even after you come out from under your bed, you would can then have your country and we will have ours, as if we don't already.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:53 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
I hate to make this political but this is why I'l probably never vote for another Democrat as long as I live. Watching Obama's spokesman and the CDC Director is absolutely maddening. They are more concerned with political correctness than the safety of Americans. This guy knew he had Ebola. From the time he touched his infected neighbor, 4 days before departing Liberia, to when he first went to hospital in Dallas was only 9 days. Yet the CDC is going on about 21 day incubation period and relying on fever guns and asking if patients have vomited.

How did an unemployed Liberian get a visa to come here in the first place? He was just going to over stay and become another illegal. Now he brought Ebola who knows how many may fall ill?

Cancel the visa of anyone from Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea and if spreads throughout West Africa cancel their visas too. This is utter insanity.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:00 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Liberia plans to prosecute him. He lied on the airline questionnaire about contact with ebola victims.
Duncan answered NO to all the questions including one that asked if he touched an ebola patient.

Liberia to Prosecute Man Who Brought Ebola to US - ABC News

I was just about to post that. It makes you wonder how many other travelers from that region have lied about their condition

Old 10-02-2014, 12:04 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Liberia plans to prosecute him. He lied on the airline questionnaire about contact with ebola victims.
Duncan answered NO to all the questions including one that asked if he touched an ebola patient.

Liberia to Prosecute Man Who Brought Ebola to US - ABC News
From what I have read, everyone else who carried that poor woman to the hospital is already dead of Ebola. Our guy is "stable". What is becoming apparent is that with proper and not all that complex medical attention Ebola is not a fatal illness. We could have thousands of people who have been exposed trying to come to a first world country for treatment. The US is an easy "target". Many people already have visas like this guy. This is just the beginning.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:07 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I was just about to post that. It makes you wonder how many other travelers from that region have lied about their condition
No telling. Lie and come get medical treatment courtesy of the US Taxpayer.

What a total scumbag.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:10 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

What a total scumbag.
Who would not do the same? Our lives are precious to us all, regardless of our nationalities. The real crime here is the incompetency and the placing of money before community health concerns exhibited by the hospital who first evaluated him.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Fill in a questionnaire and we'll see if you have a fever.

See how that worked out.....

The best laid plans of mice and men

We now know of 2 Ebola victims that were able to carry this via plane.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:13 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Texas is the new Nigeria. In many ways Texas (and to be fair, my own state) is a lot like the third world: you have vast pockets of poverty among enormous clusters of wealth. The poor lack adequate health care alternatives. There are great hospitals and excellent care for those who can afford it. But those who can't delay seeking treatment and risk the community health. This is the kind of climate where things like Ebola get out of hand. If some other people come down with this disease, the US is going to be in serious trouble. Hopefully it ends with Duncan and we sit back and think of the ticking time bomb we have created with our pay to play health system.
This man's family is an area that is known to house new immigrants. Fine, let's stop taking in anyone from outside countries. Easy fix.

I know you LOVE Obamacare, and are hoping to make this a huge pro for single payer, but the reality is that the 12 person panel that decides who gets care and who doesn't, under Obamacare, will certainly let these folks go. So much for great healthcare.

I'm thinking the fact that this happened in Texas might be a good thing. Lots of Texans willing to make sure it doesn't get out of hand. Family doesn't want to stay put? Texans will make sure they do.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:15 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

What a total scumbag.
Oh FFS, leave the taxpayer out of this. I am willing to pay money so that people in the world don't have to suffer this disease. They are humans, the same as me. That said, I sure as s**t don't want them coming here.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:16 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Who would not do the same? Our lives are precious to us all, regardless of our nationalities. The real crime here is the incompetency and the placing of money before community health concerns exhibited by the hospital who first evaluated him.
The hospital was at fault as well.

We cannot afford to take care of the rest of the world.

His life is worth nothing when it endangers those in this country. Sorry, Americans in this country--FIRST. The only Ebola patients that we should have to care for are AMERICANS--not foreigners.

Given that he most likely did this very deliberately, I don't see why we should have to pick up the tab for his treatment.

If Liberia is really going to prosecute him--GOOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies