Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 12:17 PM

17,390 posts, read 11,928,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Liberia plans to prosecute him. He lied on the airline questionnaire about contact with ebola victims.
Duncan answered NO to all the questions including one that asked if he touched an ebola patient.

Liberia to Prosecute Man Who Brought Ebola to US - ABC News
Sickening, that they are the ones taking the tough stand on this. The US should throw this whole family in jail. He obviously bolted for the US, to try and save himself. His family had to know that.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:18 PM

39,019 posts, read 51,043,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
The hospital was at fault as well.

We cannot afford to take care of the rest of the world.

His life is worth nothing when it endangers those in this country. Sorry, Americans in this country--FIRST. The only Ebola patients that we should have to care for are AMERICANS--not foreigners.

Given that he most likely did this very deliberately, I don't see why we should have to pick up the tab for his treatment.

If Liberia is really going to prosecute him--GOOD.
We can't blame people who want to live. They are acting entirely rationally. We need to be rational too. We need to realize that they are going to try to get here. Whether we can afford to treat is a secondary issue to the possibility of exposing large numbers of our own citizens to this illness. In other words, we need to close the border to people from infected nations as tightly as possible. Certainly no more tourist visas.

At the same time we have to understand that Ebola needs to be contained at the source and commit ourselves to stopping it there. This is a more pressing matter than bombing some Arabs in the desert to appease the defense industry. If we can help to organize and supply proper medical treatment in places affected, then the people of the area will not be motivated to come to the west to get it.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:24 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,119,598 times
Possible Ebola patient in Hawaii.

Patient Placed in Isolation in Hawaii Over Ebola Concerns - ABC News

Old 10-02-2014, 12:24 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,822,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We can't blame people who want to live. They are acting entirely rationally. We need to be rational too. We need to realize that they are going to try to get here. Whether we can afford to treat is a secondary issue to the possibility of exposing large numbers of our own citizens to this illness. In other words, we need to close the border to people from infected nations as tightly as possible. Certainly no more tourist visas.
That is exactly right. We also need to close the borders both north and south.

He may be acting entirely rationally--but he's still a scumbag for exposing those here.

His family members that may be exposed don't seem to care, either. They did not follow the orders to stay home.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:29 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,163,352 times
Default 5 threats in Texas scarier than Ebola

I am very concerned, but some of the posts on this board are just flat out ignorant! At this very moment the enterovirus has claimed a few a children and we are coming up on flu season. Texas lost 20 kids to flu last year, which was easily preventable. I am more concerned about having unvaccinated kids in my schools than an Ebola plague.

5 public health threats in Texas scarier than Ebola

Old 10-02-2014, 12:29 PM

39,019 posts, read 51,043,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
That is exactly right. We also need to close the borders both north and south.

He may be acting entirely rationally--but he's still a scumbag for exposing those here.

His family members that may be exposed don't seem to care, either. They did not follow the orders to stay home.
Ebola patients are not going to walk across the border. They will come in by air. His poor family members needed food! Honestly, put yourself in their position. Locked up with all the contaminated linens and towels and no food, no toilet paper, no nothing but fear and worry for 21 days? What would you do? Most Americans could not go for 3 days without access to shopping. You can't just tell people go home and don't come out for three weeks. They need support. The state of Texas just ignored these people after ordering them to stay home. It was only after CNN told her story that Texas or the CDC did anything to assist her.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:35 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,822,898 times
Quote:
Ebola patients are not going to walk across the border. They will come in by air. His poor family members needed food! Honestly, put yourself in their position. Locked up with all the contaminated linens and towels and no food, no toilet paper, no nothing but fear and worry for 21 days? What would you do? Most Americans could not go for 3 days without access to shopping. You can't just tell people go home and don't come out for three weeks. They need support. The state of Texas just ignored these people after ordering them to stay home. It was only after CNN told her story that Texas or the CDC did anything to assist her.
The family does need outside support for basic needs--I'll grant you that. They should make a list of what they need, pay for supplies/food and have them delivered to the door.

Someone exposed to Ebola could very easily walk across the border--they can be asymptomatic for up to 21 days.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:38 PM

13,282 posts, read 7,833,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
I am more concerned about having unvaccinated kids in my schools than an Ebola plague.

Hmm . . .

Old 10-02-2014, 12:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,288,091 times
Quote:
She could not call a family member to get bags of food and leave outside the door ?

Texas had to get a legal order to get her to stay home.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,288,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
I am very concerned, but some of the posts on this board are just flat out ignorant! At this very moment the enterovirus has claimed a few a children and we are coming up on flu season. Texas lost 20 kids to flu last year, which was easily preventable. I am more concerned about having unvaccinated kids in my schools than an Ebola plague.

That article might be a little biased......
written by: "President and CEO of The Immunization Partnership"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies