Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 09:09 AM

14,295 posts, read 9,631,659 times

Advertisements

Lack of diversity in the energy sector will cost the average family $2,100 annually, according to a study by IHS. The direct costs that people see will not be so apparent as the $64 to $72 a month to the average family's electrical bill. The costs will be spread throughout everything their money goes towards, because when energy costs rise, the costs for every product and service rises with it.

The Obama admin's war on coal and push for renewables are two of the reasons why we are seeing this lack of diversity in the energy sector.

In this study, they state the following: IHS Study: Diversity of United States Power Supply Could be Significantly Reduced in Coming Decades | IHS Online Pressroom

IHS compared a base case power supply mix (the U.S. generation mix from 2010 to 2012) with a reduced diversity case in order to evaluate economic implications. The latter applied a combination of current trends—depressed wholesale power prices, proposed environmental regulations and a focus on renewable and natural gas-fired generation—to the U.S. generation mix. Most notably, natural gas-fired capacity would increase from 26.6 percent to 61.7 percent in the reduced diversity scenario.

After three years of such a shift, the resulting power price changes would result in a drop in real disposable income per household of about $2,100, a reduction of an estimated 1,100,000 jobs and a decline in real gross domestic product of 1.2 percent, according to IHS.

No one is talking about public tax policy changes that would raise taxes on the people by $2,000 a month, but the federal government's tax and regulatory policies are going to have the exact same outcome.

So when Obama said his energy plan would mean "electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket" he's either too ignorant to know that this will be devastating for poor families, and those families currently living from paycheck to paycheck, because the the costs for everything will rise exponentially. Or Obama is smart enough to realize hoe devastating this will be, but he does not give a crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 09:23 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,034,478 times
I choose the latter. He doesn't give a crap.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I choose the latter. He doesn't give a crap.
Don't be so quick to dismiss Obama's short-sighted ignorance.

Then again, once he was informed of the disastrous consequences his energy policies would have on the poor and middle income families, you are probably correct, in that he'd still not give a crap. Obama's agenda will always come first.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:55 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,854,266 times
Strange my electric bills are down from last year, oh well don't let that get in the way of your rant.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:03 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,576,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post

So when Obama said his energy plan would mean "electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket" he's either too ignorant to know that this will be devastating for poor families, and those families currently living from paycheck to paycheck, because the the costs for everything will rise exponentially. Or Obama is smart enough to realize hoe devastating this will be, but he does not give a crap.
Yep, but who cares. Let them suffer the consequences of their vote.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:10 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,854,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yep, but who cares. Let them suffer the consequences of their vote.
Seems like a few righties, even you care, otherwise why post about it?

I like suffering by having lower bills, the more the better.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:16 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,142,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Strange my electric bills are down from last year, oh well don't let that get in the way of your rant.
Mine are also, but it is due to an unusually cool summer. I haven't been using a whole lot of ac this year.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I cite a study conducted by a reputable group and you act as if it's my rant?

Typical response that I'd expect from you.

Is it okay, as long you think things are fine in your little corner of heaven, so the rest of the people can go to hell?

I'll have to try and talk some common sense into your head.

The study is talking about a lack of energy diversity. It outlines the folly of putting too many of your eggs into one basket. Ever hear about investment managers discussing the need for people to diversify their investments? The same is true with energy.

If we invest too heavily in hydroelectric, and we experience a drought, our electricity costs will soar.

If we invest too heavily in wind and solar, and we experience weeks during the winter with fog, gray overcast and no wind, our electricity costs will soar.

If we rely too much on natural gas, and prices spike, supplies run low, our electricity costs will soar.

If the train operators drive up transportation costs, or the river barges cannot make their deliveries of coal, due to ice or low water levels, or if EPA regulations close down your coal-fired power plants, our electricity costs will soar.

If your area was using a form of energy that was not negatively impacted during the recent winter cold created by the polar vortex, then you would not have see a change in electricity costs, but that does not hold true for everyone.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Mine are also, but it is due to an unusually cool summer. I haven't been using a whole lot of ac this year.
We've only used the AC in my home four times this year, it's very unusually cool this year.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:32 AM

One of the reasons the nation was saved from higher electricity costs this year was because COAL saved the day.

Coal Prevented Blackouts During Polar Vortex | Electric Co-op Today

“Coal kept us from shedding load and experiencing blackouts,” said Michael Steffes, president and CEO of ACES, a nationwide energy management company owned by cooperatives.

“This winter tested the limits of the bulk electric system.”

Winter 2013-14 saw the bulk electric system hit an 11-year low in energy storage, and record peaks in four major regional transmission organizations, Steffes told the forum May 5 at the 2014 NRECA Legislative Conference.

If we allow Obama and his administration to continue their regulatory war against coal, then maybe the next really cold winter season we will experience rolling blackouts. But the road liberal progressives are setting us on will shrink our energy diversity, as we foolishly rely more increasingly on green energy, and taking fossil fuel power plants off line prematurely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies