Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 11:14 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
To simply wrap it up, yes more than enough time, but we had to actually fight it first before wrapping it up and that took more time. Not to worry we will be out soon enough and the right will whine about that also, there is a trend there, hmmmmmm
And we've accomplished exactly what in the last 5 years that couldn't have been done in the first of those years? What have we been doing but propping up a puppet who will likely stab us square in the back just as soon as the $$$ flow stops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 11:14 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Give me a freakin break. He should have come in and pulled all troops out of both of those hailholes within a month...instead he's lied and dragged it out...the lying bum.
Thanks for letting me know you know nothing about military Logistics, noted

Old 08-05-2014, 11:15 AM

863 posts, read 1,196,513 times
Quote:
Give me a freakin break. He should have come in and pulled all troops out of both of those hailholes within a month...instead he's lied and dragged it out...the lying bum.
"Love is like war: easy to begin but very hard to stop." - H. L. Mencken.

If you wanna throw blame around, it's illogical not to start with the source.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Dubya made a huge mistake that was immoral by going into Iraq which wasn't even involved in 911...now Odummy has dragged the mistake out forever...5 years is tooooo long!
Ummmm, Afghanistan had everything to do with 911, are you confusing the two conflicts?

Old 08-05-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And we've accomplished exactly what in the last 5 years that couldn't have been done in the first of those years? What have we been doing but propping up a puppet who will likely stab us square in the back just as soon as the $$$ flow stops?
Following the path we were already placed on, it just is not as simple as you make it out to be, would I have liked it if we had left a year ago, sure but I do not know all the details as no one else here does either. The fact of the matter is he is pulling us out and that is the best you gonna get. Beats what some morons here want to do and that is stay there forever since they believe it is a religious war.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
My great Uncle died from skin cancer. He battled it for years. He landed at Hiroshima about 2 weeks after the dropped the bomb. Told me the Navy had them going around collecting debris samples for testing.

Think he got a medal for that? Think his name is on a wall?

Not everyone is recognized who dies from the effects of war. Thats just the sad reality of the situation.

Your story and his are both reasons why I support more drones during military campaigns, because they do not have effects from nerve agents and toxic fumes. How many soldiers fear they got radiation doses to high and caused their cancer by riding with depleted Uranium shells and armor around them?
Oh, I realize war, like life can be very unfair.

Maybe I'm just insanely optimistic in believing we can learn from experience. If I wasn't, my liquor bill would bankrupt me.

And despite the hysteria they elicit from some in these forums I completely agree with you about the use of drones. I would choose to avoid war when possible but when it's inevitable we should limit our own losses in every way possible.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Ummmm, Afghanistan had everything to do with 911, are you confusing the two conflicts?
Everything?

Saudi Arabia had more to do with 9/11 and we haven't been mired down there, have we?

Sorry but I have to disagree with you, to spend the $$$ we spend on 'Defense' and not be able to get in and out of a place like Afghanistan in less than 13 years is simply unacceptable.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:30 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
My great Uncle died from skin cancer. He battled it for years. He landed at Hiroshima about 2 weeks after the dropped the bomb. Told me the Navy had them going around collecting debris samples for testing.

Think he got a medal for that? Think his name is on a wall?

Not everyone is recognized who dies from the effects of war. Thats just the sad reality of the situation.

Your story and his are both reasons why I support more drones during military campaigns, because they do not have effects from nerve agents and toxic fumes. How many soldiers fear they got radiation doses to high and caused their cancer by riding with depleted Uranium shells and armor around them?
I worked with a old navy man he too was at Hiroshima about that time wonder if they were ship mates?
He had health problems too...

Old 08-05-2014, 11:30 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Being that our involvement in WWII was less than 4 years I find it difficult to believe that in the almost 13 years of the Afghan war we couldn't do what we thought we needed to do and gotten out.

Personally, I'd like to see a Constitutional Amendment that prohibits a POTUS from deploying combat troops for longer than 60, maybe 90 days without a formal declaration of war being voted by Congress. As it is I believe we go off to war far too easily and all too often find ending our involvement far more difficult than starting it.
That would be the War Powers Resolution of 1973, which every president has immediately gone on record as repudiating since it was passed , although they all pay lip service to it while they work around it.

In the 80s Congress re-formatted the military, putting the bulk of combat forces into the Guard and Reserve rather than the active duty forces. The purpose of that was to prevent the president from entering another Vietnam-size war without resolution from Congress to call up the Guard and Reserve.

They didn't expect at the time that there would be a future Congress that would just roll over for the president (back in the day, Senators strongly protected their perogatives as Senators and didn't even let a president of their own party tell them what to do).
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Have you ever seen one of Thomas Barnett’s presentations for restructuring DoD into separate capabilities to reflect the the world’s current disorder?

Start around 15:00.

His distinctions between the continuing traditional military (the Leviathan force) and the peace-making/nation-building force (the Sys-Admin force) are both funny and clear. (TSA=”Thousands Standing Around.”)

He describes the Leviathan force as a “masculine” force and the Sys-Admin force as a “female” force--but both are vital. The problem is that today the US tries to use the DoD for both.

Funny and sharp.
https://www.ted.com/talks/thomas_bar..._map_for_peace

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 08-05-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Everything?

Saudi Arabia had more to do with 9/11 and we haven't been mired down there, have we?

Sorry but I have to disagree with you, to spend the $$$ we spend on 'Defense' and not be able to get in and out of a place like Afghanistan in less than 13 years is simply unacceptable.
Why because some of their funding and some of the group that hit us came from there. I do not buy it, the Taliban were funding and supporting the Terrorists from their country, they made themselves a player not us.
Oh I agree with the time frame being too long, keep in mined the first 7 years were wasted years by Dubya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies