Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 09:04 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
IF the GOP really wanted people to keep more of their money MORE DEFENSE SPENDING on an already bloated MIC wouldn't be the permanent plank in the party platform that it is. The truth is the GOP wants to spend other peoples' money on ITS agenda.
Why do you repeat this lie?

Well less than 1/4 of federal spending is defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 09:13 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post

I've classified the GOP as crazy ever since they abandoned the Contract for America.
What would The Contract for America have acomplished to date?

Nothing...The federal government is too dysfunctional to follow up on anything. They pass redundant laws/bills all day long and don't enforce those.

If you like your health care you can keep your health care. As long as you get it through ACA.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:14 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post

23% is not "well less" than 1/4. If you look at discretionary spending the military's portion jumps up to around 60%.

US Federal Budget FY2014 - Spending Deficit Debt Pie Chart

Old 08-08-2014, 09:24 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:

WHAT lie?

World Military Spending

The US is responsible for 39% of the world's military spending, the next 10 countries combined for 21%.

Are you really going to try and claim things such as the cost overruns on the F-35 program and the new Gerald R Ford Aircraft Carrier aren't symptomatic of a bloated, wasteful industry? Or that Republicans don't embrace BIGGER military/MORE defense spending despite their claims of favoring LESS government/LESS government spending?

Old 08-08-2014, 09:26 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
IF the GOP really wanted people to keep more of their money MORE DEFENSE SPENDING on an already bloated MIC wouldn't be the permanent plank in the party platform that it is. The truth is the GOP wants to spend other peoples' money on ITS agenda.
Quote:

Oh, but you seem to have forgotten that the Bush admin put the cost of the Iraq War on a credit card, so we are, in fact paying a lot more than you claim. Why don't conservatives ever understand that their policies have to be paid for eventually, even if they use credit? Do they believe we can just declare bankruptcy and have our debt forgiven the way the investors and developers who abused the real estate boom did?

The party of fiscal responsibility? I think not.

"Every hour taxpayers in the United States are paying $365,297 for Cost of War in Iraq Since 2003."

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/cost-of/

Study: Iraq, Afghan war costs to top $4 trillion - The Washington Post

EconoMonitor : Ed Dolan's Econ Blog » Ten Years on, New Estimates of the Economic Cost of the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan

Old 08-08-2014, 09:46 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
And yet both sides cheer their side, like watching to sides pointing accusing fingers at each other while Rome Burns and the crowed applauds it. We are the New Rome and we are following in their footsteps, it was nice while it lasted and we will look back on these days will fondness one day and wonder why we let it all happen.
I am inclined to agree, but I always feel there is hope.

I have argued points from both parties, equally and just as passionate as I do others.

What I don't like is the making crap up about other parties. "Obama/The Republicans are trying to destroy this country on purpose"

No, thats just stupid.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:56 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
No, Catholicism is NOT Christianity, because it is headed by the POPE, not Christ. It has PEOPLE who decide what the members are to believe, not their conscience and the Pope claims to stand in place of God.

So, no, the Pope is not about Christianity, even if he claims so, and further, he's a radical leftist pushing a political agenda.
Damn, you Christians are a bizarre lot!
First, the complaint was that Obama refuses to have anything to do with Christianity, but when I point out that he met with and praised the leader of the largest Christian denomination on earth, you say it doesn't count. Suddenly, Catholicism isn't "real" Christianity.
Guess what? I'm sure that snake-handlers think YOUR denomination isn't real Christianity.
Perhaps all the denominations should duke it out, until there's only one cult left standing.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:22 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,277,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Is it finally time that we ask the increasingly obvious question, namely…
Has the G.O.P. Gone Off the Deep End?

Or as Mike Lofgren, a staff member for 16 years on the Republican side of both the House and Senate Budget Committees, writes…
"The Republican Party is becoming less and less like a traditional political party in a representative democracy and becoming more like an apocalyptic cult, or one of the intensely ideological authoritarian parties of 20th century Europe."

And is this really such a preposterous question, when over 40% of Republicans are still "Birthers", and over a third actually believe the POTUS is a muslim? And that's not even counting all the ones who think Obama is an alien lizard, the anti-christ, hell-bent on "turning the U.S. into a 3rd world country", etc.! And if all that doesn't qualify as "insane", then what does?

BTW, here's "Exhibit B", seriously, from none other than former GOP Prez. candidate, Newt Gingrich…
"What if [Obama] is so outside our comprehension, that only if you understand Kenyan, anti-colonial behavior, can you begin to piece together [his actions]?" Gingrich asked. "That is the most accurate, predictive model for his behavior."

Obama's Citizenship - July 2014 Rasmussen Poll
Well now.... I think I can safely assume you are not a member of the GOP?

So why ask it? Nothing you can do about it, you are worrying excessively about that which is not your business, as is the NYT blogger you reference.

The other side always looks stupid, insane, ignorant, prejudicial... it's just the nature of politics.

Who cares what 40% of whoever think? Every person I've met who believed in astrology was decidedly left of center on politics - everyone has notions that someone else thinks are whacky. It just doesn't matter (and that is what I tell the birthers too!)

Old 08-08-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
WHAT lie?

World Military Spending

The US is responsible for 39% of the world's military spending, the next 10 countries combined for 21%.

Are you really going to try and claim things such as the cost overruns on the F-35 program and the new Gerald R Ford Aircraft Carrier aren't symptomatic of a bloated, wasteful industry? Or that Republicans don't embrace BIGGER military/MORE defense spending despite their claims of favoring LESS government/LESS government spending?
^^^^

this lie.

I said well less than 25% of federal spending is defense.

You then attempted to refute it by talking about "world spending".

If you are on the left, you lie. No exceptions.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Damn, you Christians are a bizarre lot!
First, the complaint was that Obama refuses to have anything to do with Christianity, but when I point out that he met with and praised the leader of the largest Christian denomination on earth, you say it doesn't count. Suddenly, Catholicism isn't "real" Christianity.
Guess what? I'm sure that snake-handlers think YOUR denomination isn't real Christianity.
Perhaps all the denominations should duke it out, until there's only one cult left standing.
"Suddenly"?

The fact that you're ignorant about these things doesn't make your analysis true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies