Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 01:32 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,587,145 times

Advertisements

The shooter never called 911 even after he had shot the kid.

He went in and called his lawyer.

If it was an accident as he claims I would think the first thing he would do would be to call for an ambulance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 01:36 PM

626 posts, read 991,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Believed is a very key word in that sentence. They BELIEVED that he was going to do it.
And? You have yet to make a salient point.

Quote:
Funny, there's no mention of the girl being anywhere near this kid. In fact, they knew he was at home (presumably there would be no reason for the girl to be at his house) and they went there in order to "prevent" something they "believed" was going to happen.
So? I never said their actions were justified. You called them "thugs", which was a gross mischaracterization. These were not gang members or career criminals. Your characterization was an emotional response, not a logical response.

Quote:
The case you mentioned is a tragedy, but there's not much comparison. That poor girl killed herself-no one was out to harm her, at least physically. A large group of angry guys standing in your driveway demanding that you come out so they can kill with their bare hands is a pretty clear cut threat.
There's a direct comparison. Online accounts were used to deceive, resulting in tragic consequences. I'm not claiming that any sort of legislative action should be taken. I'm just pointing out a phenomenon that is on the rise.

Quote:
So basically, by your logic, I'm free to seek out and attack anyone I choose, so long as I BELIEVE that they are some kind of a threat to me or a friend of mine?
I never said that. You have a serious problem with reading comprehension.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:37 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,953,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
But Daniel Cicciaro's father, also named Daniel, says he doesn't believe White's story. "He had 20 minutes to gather his thoughts, to call the police to defuse the situation, to find out why they were coming over, and he didn't take any of the precautionary steps" he said.
Hypothetical situation:

MR. WHITE: Hello, 911? There's a large gang of guys coming to my house and they want to harm my son because they think he threatened to rape someone. Can you send someone?

911 OPERATOR: Are they there now?

MR. WHITE: No, but they said that they would kill my son and that they were coming.

911 OPERATOR: We'll send someone as soon as we can.

Anyone who knows anything about law enforcement knows that this call would be extremely low on the priorities list and its anyone's guess when the police would have gotten there. These guys came onto to this guy's property and threatened his son's life over something they heard from someone else. Should he have made them tea and asked them to have a seat while they waited for the police to arrive?

Old 12-21-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
The shooter never called 911 even after he had shot the kid.

He went in and called his lawyer.

If it was an accident as he claims I would think the first thing he would do would be to call for an ambulance.
I can't say that I blame him. In New York self defense is considered a crime.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:49 PM

13,382 posts, read 28,650,728 times
Quote:
Hypothetical situation:

MR. WHITE: Hello, 911? There's a large gang of guys coming to my house and they want to harm my son because they think he threatened to rape someone. Can you send someone?

911 OPERATOR: Are they there now?

MR. WHITE: No, but they said that they would kill my son and that they were coming.

911 OPERATOR: We'll send someone as soon as we can.

Anyone who knows anything about law enforcement knows that this call would be extremely low on the priorities list and its anyone's guess when the police would have gotten there. These guys came onto to this guy's property and threatened his son's life over something they heard from someone else. Should he have made them tea and asked them to have a seat while they waited for the police to arrive?
maybe so..but at least it would have hopefully been on record adding to his defense

Old 12-21-2007, 02:05 PM

It will be very interesting to see just where this thread goes. On another note, Kate, from one proud Yankee to the next, I like your title!

Old 12-21-2007, 02:14 PM

13,382 posts, read 28,650,728 times
Quote:
It will be very interesting to see just where this thread goes. On another note, Kate, from one proud Yankee to the next, I like your title!

Why thank you!!

yes, I'd like to see the outcome as well

Old 12-21-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I can't say that I blame him. In New York self defense is considered a crime.
He and his son approached them with weapons.

This is not self defense.

They had the option of staying in the house, they chose to go outside to confront.

The other kids were not in the right for heading to the house and threatening but he was far more wrong to go outside with a gun and kill the boy.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
They had the option of staying in the house, they chose to go outside to confront.
Let's say they did stay in the house. Knowing what these kids' intentions where (they spelled them out loud and clear in text messages AND voice mail messages) would they have just stood outside waiting? Of course not! They would have broken the door down, gone through a window, etc... Unlike the case of the thieves in Texas who were just happy to get away with their loot without incident, these guys were going to get to this kid and kill him any way they could.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Let's say they did stay in the house. Knowing what these kids' intentions where (they spelled them out loud and clear in text messages AND voice mail messages) would they have just stood outside waiting? Of course not! They would have broken the door down, gone through a window, etc... Unlike the case of the thieves in Texas who were just happy to get away with their loot without incident, these guys were going to get to this kid and kill him any way they could.
If they did this and he shot them THEN it would have been self defense and there would not have even been a trial.

It was his ego that made him go outside not fear for his family. He was not going to let some punk kids push his family around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies