Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 12:35 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,942,399 times

Advertisements

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/12/20...ef=mpstoryview

A couple of weeks ago the hot topic here was the guy from Texas who shot two unarmed guys robbing his neighbor's house. Some claim self defense, some claim murder. Personally, I thought it was excessive since the man deliberately inserted himself into the situation. However, in this case I believe that it's a pretty clear cut case of self defense. I took a lot of flak for saying that the guy in Texas went over the top since his life wasn't threatened, and a lot of folks asked what I would consider to be a life threatening situation. I think this illustrates a life threatening situation pretty clearly. These guys told this kid numerous times that they were going to kill him, and then they came to his house in a large group with one purpose-to kill him. I believe the father acted as any father should, and I hope he gets off though I doubt he will since we're talking about the state of New York. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 12:39 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,128,848 times
I think that the person who started the hoax should get charged with involuntary since his actions led to the killing. Either that, or a federal hacking charge - because that's what he did.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:42 PM

I agree, I mean I'm sure it would end up being a very minor charge, but the kid who perpetrated the hoax should be charged with something. However, that's sort of a secondary issue. I want to know what people think about this guy shooting one of the thugs coming to tear his son limb from limb.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:45 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,128,848 times
If they made a verbal threat to him, then they should have the right to defend themselves. However, in some states, it's not allowed. You have to dial the government-sponsored Dial-A-Prayer known as 911 and wait for them to arrive.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:47 PM

626 posts, read 990,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I agree, I mean I'm sure it would end up being a very minor charge, but the kid who perpetrated the hoax should be charged with something. However, that's sort of a secondary issue. I want to know what people think about this guy shooting one of the thugs coming to tear his son limb from limb.
I wouldn't call those kids thugs. They believed the black kid had threatened to rape a close female friend of theirs. They were being protective. That's not thug behavior.

It's a bad situation caused by a Myspace impersonation. This isn't the first Myspace impersonation gone bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megan_M...de_controversy

Old 12-21-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
I wouldn't call those kids thugs. They believed the black kid had threatened to rape a close female friend of theirs. They were being protective. That's not thug behavior. It's a bad situation caused by a Myspace impersonation. This isn't the first Myspace impersonation gone bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megan_M...de_controversy
Oh I see, so dear old dad should have opened the door wide and said, "Oh, so you BELIEVE that my son said he would rape your friend? Well then by all means, have at him boys! I'll clean up when you're done!" Sorry but ten guys going to one guy's house to beat him to death over a vague rumor is thug behavior. You better believe that if a mob ever showed up at my door looking to string up my kid for something that a friend of a friend of friend said that he MIGHT have said, that at least a few of them are going to have a few extra orifices.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:59 PM

626 posts, read 990,644 times
Quote:
Oh I see, so dear old dad should have opened the door wide and said, "Oh, so you BELIEVE that my son said he would rape your friend? Well then by all means, have at him boys! I'll clean up when you're done!" Sorry but ten guys going to one guy's house to beat him to death over a vague rumor is thug behavior. You better believe that if a mob ever showed up at my door looking to string up my kid for something that a friend of a friend of friend said that he MIGHT have said, that at least a few of them are going to have a few extra orifices.
Did you even read my post? I said none of what you attributed to me.

When you've calmed down after your irrational, pointless rant, read my post again.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:05 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,366,745 times
Quote:
First of all, any rational person can see that the shooter should have AT LEAST called the cops before opening fire.
If he didn't have time for that - couldn't he have tried simply POINTING the gun at the kids head and seeing how the mob reacted before shooting?
He was scared and hot-tempered. I understand why he did it, but he should still be punished.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't call those kids thugs. They believed the black kid had threatened to rape a close female friend of theirs.
Believed is a very key word in that sentence. They BELIEVED that he was going to do it.

Quote:
They were being protective. That's not thug behavior.
Funny, there's no mention of the girl being anywhere near this kid. In fact, they knew he was at home (presumably there would be no reason for the girl to be at his house) and they went there in order to "prevent" something they "believed" was going to happen.

Quote:
It's a bad situation caused by a Myspace impersonation. This isn't the first Myspace impersonation gone bad.
The case you mentioned is a tragedy, but there's not much comparison. That poor girl killed herself-no one was out to harm her, at least physically. A large group of angry guys standing in your driveway demanding that you come out so they can kill with their bare hands is a pretty clear cut threat.

So basically, by your logic, I'm free to seek out and attack anyone I choose, so long as I BELIEVE that they are some kind of a threat to me or a friend of mine?

Old 12-21-2007, 01:28 PM

13,374 posts, read 28,618,543 times
If the following paragraph from the link is true....well not good:

But Daniel Cicciaro's father, also named Daniel, says he doesn't believe White's story. "He had 20 minutes to gather his thoughts, to call the police to defuse the situation, to find out why they were coming over, and he didn't take any of the precautionary steps" he said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies