Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2014, 01:06 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually income inequality has been discussed by a large variety of people, not just liberals. Basic income was considered seriously as far back as Nixon with his proposals, Milton Freidman, and even some libertarians who have came to see it as a replacement for our current system.

The Libertarian Case for a Basic Income | Libertarianism.org

And increasingly its not just "liberals" concerned about income inequality. Many people are beginning to realize its a issue that affects everyone.
Putin must be a liberal then. HA!

Putin Laments Russia

"Huge income disparity remains Russia’s “main problem,” with the earnings of the richest Russians being 16 times higher than those of the poorest citizens – a gap comparable to that registered in the United States, President-elect Vladimir Putin said on Wednesday.
“Over the past few years, this gap has virtually not become smaller,” Putin, the current prime minister, told the State Duma in his last annual report to parliament before his inauguration as president in May."

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Hmmm....yes and no. large economic and social disruptions can change that, and historically that happens when inequality gets too high.
I know what happens, why it's not desirable, et al. However, there isn't anything that can realistically be done. You can have some sort of welfare system that transfers the wealth, but that isn't really going to change the inequality structure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 01:08 PM

1,553 posts, read 924,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post

Not surprising

GOP economic incompetence is well known in my circle...

Old 08-08-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
It's also quite interesting to look at who is in control of Congress during the periods of faster GDP growth (hint: it's not the Democrats).
Outside of the 90's, the Democrats did indeed control Congress - at least one house anyway.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:09 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,957,018 times
Quote:
Most concerned doesn't mean no one else is concerned. As I said earlier in the thread, even I am concerned by it. Not thinking that "basic income" is the answer doesn't mean I don't care.
So your concerned about it, so what solutions do you have to fight it?
I'm guessing the solutions are the same as fighting crony capitalism.

Pretend to not support it and turn a blind eye to it, and rage against people that speak up about it though.
Right?

Old 08-08-2014, 01:12 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Printing money really isn't growing the economy in a positive way.
Agreed. The Bailout was a horrible decision. The CEO's then took the bailout money and used it to bonus themselves millions. When if things would have run their natural course they would have been out of a job.

I agree we need to get inflation under control.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:20 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Outside of the 90's, the Democrats did indeed control Congress - at least one house anyway.
I was thinking of the past 30 years or so - the "modern era."

Rahn-chart.jpg - Washington Times

Old 08-08-2014, 01:24 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
So your concerned about it, so what solutions do you have to fight it?
I'm guessing the solutions are the same as fighting crony capitalism.

Pretend to not support it and turn a blind eye to it, and rage against people that speak up about it though.
Right?
I don't "rage" against people that speak up about it.

Here are my solutions:

1) Get rid of as much of the red tape as possible that slows business growth and hiring.

2) Reduce corporate tax rates and tax incentives for offshoring. Close loopholes and reduce the power to carve out too many loopholes to reduce crony capitalism.

3) Reduce the power of unions.

4) Impose strict penalties for hiring illegal immigrants and eliminate welfare for illegal immigrants, causing them to self-deport. Deport any illegal immigrants who are found or who are arrested for committing even the most minor crimes. Impose taxes on money sent to countries from which a high number of illegals come.

5) Improve our education system and make higher education more widely accessible (yes, there should be some funding for this), in addition to improving vocational education options.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I was thinking of the past 30 years or so - the "modern era."

Rahn-chart.jpg - Washington Times
Without some context or methodology I'm not sure how precise that actually is. Most of the data going back to the 50's or so has the economy performing better under D presidents and Congress was controlled by D's with a few exceptions.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:29 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I still stand by my position. Inequality has and will continue to grow.
The odd thing about the economic growth under Obama's Admin is that it was extraordinarily weak, while the income gap increased the most.
Quote:
"As I testified this week before the congressional Joint Economic Committee, at 2.1 percent average real growth, the U.S. is lagging far behind the 4.1 percent average recovery pace of the post-war business cycles. The Reagan recovery averaged 5 percent annual growth at the same point as the Obama recovery."
Obama's Weak Economy

And...

Obama Calls Income Gap 'Morally Wrong' After Widening It The Most In At Least Two Decades

Obama and the Dems: the 1%ers' president and party.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:29 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Also, it's important to consider who is controlling Congress during these periods of growth.
that's actually a tough one

currently no-one controls congress

congress= both houses

currently repubs have house of reps....liberals have house of senate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies