Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 11:46 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
It comes from the CHARITY CARE!!!!!!!! Another one who doesn't know what it is. Your bill, which gets PAID by CHARITY CARE INCLUDES all of that other stuff. DUH!
Again, that's not what Bob is talking about. He is talking about a hospital that provides care and then doesn't get paid people the people were uninsured and did not pay cash. The poor having Medicaid ia providing a revenue source for the hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 11:57 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,736,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Why do you think the American Hospital Association wrote Obamacare instead of trying to dismantle hospital monopolies?
The nuts and bolts of the law were actually put together by a conservative think tank and championed by House Republicans in the 90's.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:10 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Do you even know what charity care is? I don't think so. Charity care isn't the hospital waiving your costs and eating them, it is money that has been DONATED to them from various charities to pay for people's bills who can't afford it. That money doesn't go into the hospital's earnings. That's how I arrived at that conclusion.
Ehm - you're kinda wrong, here.

Charity care is defined as care delivered at lower or no cost to the patient in return for the hospital/facility being granted tax exempt status under Federal law.

Or, in the words of the CBO, my bolding:

Quote:
“Uncompensated care” refers to the sum of charity care (services for which a hospital does
not expect payment)
and bad debt (services for which a hospital expects but does not collect payment).
http://cbo.gov/sites/default/files/c...-nonprofit.pdf

https://www.law.uh.edu/healthlaw/per...aritycare.html

Hospitals Criticized For Keeping Quiet On Charity Care : NPR

Would you like me to add some exclamation points and all-caps for emphasis?

Old 08-08-2014, 12:57 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
Quote:
Again, that's not what Bob is talking about. He is talking about a hospital that provides care and then doesn't get paid people the people were uninsured and did not pay cash. The poor having Medicaid ia providing a revenue source for the hospital.
He mentioned charity care specifically. Read it again.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:07 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ehm - you're kinda wrong, here.

Charity care is defined as care delivered at lower or no cost to the patient in return for the hospital/facility being granted tax exempt status under Federal law.

Or, in the words of the CBO, my bolding:

http://cbo.gov/sites/default/files/c...-nonprofit.pdf

https://www.law.uh.edu/healthlaw/per...aritycare.html

Hospitals Criticized For Keeping Quiet On Charity Care : NPR

Would you like me to add some exclamation points and all-caps for emphasis?
Each state is different I suppose. My state doesn't do it like that. The hospitals don't get tax credits, they get paid for the bill from individual charities and state funded charities. It might be a lower reimbursement than the actual bill, but so is the ACA, medicaid and medicare. So the point stands, it doesn't eat into their bottom line. They aren't eating these bills in their entirety they get money from charities or tax credits. They ARE getting something back on the same payment lines of medicaid and medicare. So in effect, adding more medicare patients is like adding more charity care patients. The end result is the same.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:10 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
LifePoint gets boost from Medicaid expansion

This will repeat at many hospital chains nationally. Far fewer uninsured to care for = far less charity care.
Yet prices continue to rise at record levels.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:22 PM

8,017 posts, read 5,853,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Yet prices continue to rise at record levels.
That's so you and I can pay for the "uninsured".

It's similar to "uninsured motorist" -- which clearly is a term that should never be allowed in the English language. If you can afford the automobile insurance, don't drive. Ride a bike, ride a bus, or hit the bricks on your own two feet. It's really that simple.

But the article that the OP referenced was something slightly different. The hospital chain in question -- LifePoint Hospitals -- was discussing how the new Medicaid patients have reduced the number of uninsured ER visits that LifePoint experienced. The drop was from 21.4% to 16.6%, which while statistically meaningful, is unlikely to impact LH's bottom line.

LifePoint Hospitals will likely finish FY2014 with $4 billion in revenue. LifePoint saw a greater benefit from Medicaid expansion compared with other hospital companies because it treats a large rural population. Financially, it's good news for LifePoint.

But you're right, the price of healthcare certainly isn't going down as a result of this.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
What hospital feared the ACA? Health stocks rose after the ACA passed.

Do they call special fairies out of thin air to provide the labor, medicine, and resources?
Most ER patients are on medicaid.
Expand medicaid and it's a no brainer that more will use the ER.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:44 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Each state is different I suppose. My state doesn't do it like that.
I doubt your state gets much of a say in how Federal tax-exempt status is handled.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:54 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Quote:
That's not what Bob is talking about. He is talking about the hospitals eating the cost after treating the uninsured because they can't pay.

That is called "screwing the shareholders" who actually own the hospital. These people should get triage and put in a cab and sent on their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies