Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 12:18 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
The abomination is demanding that anyone be a party to your so-called “ceremony” against their free will. Supplying a dress or cake is YES a contribution i.e. and participation. It would serve the homosexual to take heed and seek voluntary participants rather than bully the unwilling into false compliance. All you got is a piece of paper. Society will always look upon you as a couple of delusional pixies who somehow think they are “married”.
What about a beautician doing the bride's hair, pedicure selling her makeup, is that too an abomination, and forcing the poor hair dresser to be an involuntary participant? Than of course there are the people buying the pink crepe paper to decorate the couple's car on the wedding day, the people buying the confetti to toss at the couple, and heaven forbid.... the bouquet of flowers.

What about selling a person the soap to write "JUST MARRIED" on the car's windshield, is that too an abomination of involuntary participation???

Old 08-14-2014, 12:20 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,456,262 times
While everyone has been busy throwing barbs back and forth, no one has pointed out a simple fact.

How did the bridal shop know the customers were lesbian? Because they made a point of it. If they'd simply walked into the shop and said "we're best friends and we're both getting married this summer" the bridal shop would have done wedding gowns for both of them.

They made a point of forcing their sexual orientation on the shop. They didn't have to do that. They made a choice to do that and the shopkeeper made a choice to decline their business. So the shopkeeper loses a sale and the customer chooses to shop elsewhere.

A previous poster made a comment about a Christian bookstore refusing service to a gay person. If you're planning to go to a store, is it normal for a gay person to announce their sexual preferences to the shopkeeper? Why would that matter? Just look around and buy something.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:31 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
It didn't work so well in the 1960s, guess we just needed social media.
I think you have the wrong end of the stick with me.

And I think the media seriously helped turn the tide in favor of civil rights.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:35 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
While everyone has been busy throwing barbs back and forth, no one has pointed out a simple fact.

How did the bridal shop know the customers were lesbian? Because they made a point of it. If they'd simply walked into the shop and said "we're best friends and we're both getting married this summer" the bridal shop would have done wedding gowns for both of them.

They made a point of forcing their sexual orientation on the shop. They didn't have to do that. They made a choice to do that and the shopkeeper made a choice to decline their business. So the shopkeeper loses a sale and the customer chooses to shop elsewhere.

A previous poster made a comment about a Christian bookstore refusing service to a gay person. If you're planning to go to a store, is it normal for a gay person to announce their sexual preferences to the shopkeeper? Why would that matter? Just look around and buy something.
I think two women wedding gown shopping together made it pretty obvious that they were marrying each other, but that's beside the point. Are you honestly advocating people lie so they won't be discriminated against? How about just not discriminating in the first place?

And the shopkeeper did make her choice and the lesbian couple made their choice to tell everyone that the shop keeper is a bigot. Choices have consequences.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
The abomination is demanding that anyone be a party to your so-called “ceremony” against their free will. Supplying a dress or cake is YES a contribution i.e. and participation. It would serve the homosexual to take heed and seek voluntary participants rather than bully the unwilling into false compliance. All you got is a piece of paper. Society will always look upon you as a couple of delusional pixies who somehow think they are “married”.
Oh rubbish. You can quite happily get married without a cake or a dress. Or guests. The only people actually participating in the marriage are the two people getting married and the officiant.

The people supplying both are overstating their role in the affair if they think that their personal opinion on the matter carries any weight one way or the other. They are not participants. Or a party to anything. They are providing optional inanimate objects of decoration, whose use once purchased is of absolutely no concern to them.

They could cut the dress to ribbons and throw the cake off the Empire State Building if they wish. Who cares? If you are so emotionally attached to the things you sell then perhaps you should sell/make them for your friends and family and don't engage the general public at all.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:43 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post

I co-sign what Mr. Mon said in reply to this. ... You have to be kidding me. How would you feel if you and your opposite sex spouse had to lie about your relationship just to get service? What a poor argument.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:43 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
I just can't believe that you can't wrap your mind around this. The Christian bookstore should NOT be able to refuse service to a homosexual. If a gay man wants to purchase a product they're selling, they should NOT be able to say,

"No, we don't want to sell this to you because you're gay and we don't like that." The same situation applies.

A gay establishment can't refuse a priest service if he happens to wander in there.

What happened with this business owner is that a lesbian couple walked in to buy a dress and she said, "No, BECAUSE you're gay." Myself and clearly a large amount of others find that to be absurd. That's like saying, "I see you have a tattoo. Tattoos are against my personal beliefs, therefore, I won't sell you that pack of Tic-Tacs from my store."
If the business owner's moral belief was that sucking a Tic-Tac had a Godly component to it, we could discuss your analogy.

The discrimination in this and the bakery, hotel, photographer cases revolved around an event, a voluntary act --- marriage --- that many believe is of high-level religious significance. It's easy to mock those people as hypocrites, haters, and bigots. Some might be. My guess is, No Link, No Proof, it's the Institution of Marriage, not the inherent gayness, that causes the discrimination in most of these cases.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:46 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh rubbish. You can quite happily get married without a cake or a dress. Or guests. The only people actually participating in the marriage are the two people getting married and the officiant.

The people supplying both are overstating their role in the affair if they think that their personal opinion on the matter carries any weight one way or the other. They are not participants. Or a party to anything. They are providing optional inanimate objects of decoration, whose use once purchased is of absolutely no concern to them.

They could cut the dress to ribbons and throw the cake off the Empire State Building if they wish. Who cares? If you are so emotionally attached to the things you sell then perhaps you should sell/make them for your friends and family and don't engage the general public at all.
+1

By JobZombie's logic, Party City is participating in the "homosexual agenda" if the lesbians bought decor there. Far-reaching argument, much? If I'm ever part of a same-sex wedding, I'll be sure to let every retailer I purchase anything from know that the following items will be used in a same-sex wedding...just in case that makes them uneasy.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:49 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
There is a difference between the general public and the homosexual community. The two are separate entities and by no means in hell are they or ever will be “equal”. You do not nor will you ever have everyone on your side regardless of how much you bully, label and name call.

Here is a little hint JobZombie! I'm not gay! So you're barking up the wrong tree for 1! Secondly, gay people are who they are, and to treat them like 2nd class citizens because of what they are is NOT the American way! The US Constitution was put in place to ensure that ALL Americans have equal opportunity! Maybe you and others want to hide behind religion as an excuse to treat people like s***, but don't expect me to follow along with it! In fact, that doesn't seem very Christ like when you think about it, now does it? Love thy neighbor and all..... Now, having said that, I do see a private business as an extension of one's property, and should be able to serve whomever they please. However; that doesn't mean that they are immune to being exposed to hypocrisy, or losing customers if they p*** off the general public! Again, if they're going to treat a gay person like crap, who is to say how they're going to treat you and I?

Old 08-14-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
If the business owner's moral belief was that sucking a Tic-Tac had a Godly component to it, we could discuss your analogy.

The discrimination in this and the bakery, hotel, photographer cases revolved around an event, a voluntary act --- marriage --- that many believe is of high-level religious significance. It's easy to mock those people as hypocrites, haters, and bigots. Some might be. My guess is, No Link, No Proof, it's the Institution of Marriage, not the inherent gayness, that causes the discrimination in most of these cases.
So, do they poll everyone they serve to make sure they've done nothing to tarnish the institution of marriage? Do they make sure no one's committing bigamy? What if they've been previously divorced? What if the bride/groom are not virgins? What if the husband to be is a serial cheater that's going to make a mockery of his vows?

Do they make sure the high level religious significance of the upcoming union will be respected in all ways by the two participants?

What if the participants are atheists getting married at the courthouse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies