Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2014, 10:43 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Here we go again. A Pennsylvania Bridal gown shop has refused to sell to & fit 2 lesbians for their wedding. The shop is already receiving the wrath of the Internets and they've taken down their website and Facebook posts. Interestingly their Facebook page still shows a "Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does" image.

W.W. Bridal Boutique owner Victoria Miller told the newspaper that “providing those two girls dresses for a sanctified marriage would break God’s law.”

Bloomsburg Town Council plans to discuss the incident at a meeting on Monday. Council members said they will consider whether to propose legislation to ban businesses from refusing to serve gays and lesbians.

Refusal to sell wedding gowns to lesbian couple stirs debate in Bloomsburg - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bridal Store Denies Same Sex Couple Gowns - PAHomepage.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/W-W-B...51619521520584
"The wrath of the Internets?"

This really isn't any business of the Town Council's.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:47 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Spiritual beliefs, my a$$!
They'll sell wedding dresses to non-virgins, divorced women, women wearing pants, cheating women, women who have children out of wedlock, women with tattoos, women who read horoscopes and go to psychics, etc.
It's only when it comes to gay women, that they suddenly develop "spiritual beliefs."
The owners of the business made the investment.......they make the choices.

I do it everyday.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:48 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The only argument I can find with the bridal shop owner is the notion that this in any way would be a "sanctified marriage". If she's uncomfortable with the customers, then she should in no way be obligated to take their money. If they're uncomfortable with the owner, then they should likewise in no way be obligated to spend their money at that business. Where did this idea that the customer (or potential customer) runs the business come from?

What is so freaking hard about this? What happened to freedom of association or freedom of speech?
What if the business didn't want to sell to blacks or Jews because the bible says that these are the children of Satan. How would you feel or most people feel then? It would not be a "sanctified" marriage either since nearly all gay and lesbian marriages are CIVIL marriages which have absolutely nothing to do with any church/synagogue.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Not really. If I tell 50 of my friends and family that the merchandise at Bellas boutique is crap, there is a good chance that most of those 50 people won't shop there.
If I tell 50 of my friends or family that I was refused service at yummy candy because I am getting married to a woman, there is a very good chance that none of those people will shop there.
Wow, even in a ****hole like Mississippi?

Old 08-09-2014, 10:58 AM

214 posts, read 230,733 times
A private business owner has the right to serve and not serve whomever they please.

Last time I checked, this WAS still America.

p.s. So......at a lesbo wedding, which of the two brides has maids? Both? Neither. Or does one take the part of groom? The butchier one? Just curious.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:58 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Not really. If I tell 50 of my friends and family that the merchandise at Bellas boutique is crap, there is a good chance that most of those 50 people won't shop there.
If I tell 50 of my friends or family that I was refused service at yummy candy because I am getting married to a woman, there is a very good chance that none of those people will shop there.
Isn't that lying if their wares are not crap?

Well again, I am disgusted that you would resort to being a bully when you can't get your own way. And I hate whiners.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:02 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The owners of the business made the investment.......they make the choices.

I do it everyday.
Then they shouldn't hide behind their cherry-picked biblical beliefs.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre_Corriendo View Post
A private business owner has the right to serve and not serve whomever they please.

Last time I checked, this WAS still America.

p.s. So......at a lesbo wedding, which of the two brides has maids? Both? Neither. Or does one take the part of groom? The butchier one? Just curious.
Lesbo wedding? Really? Are you in high school?

Old 08-09-2014, 11:06 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Then they shouldn't hide behind their cherry-picked biblical beliefs.
Maybe some of your venom should be directed at whatever church this bridal shop owner has attended all of her life... after all, they were the ones that brainwashed her.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:14 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And why would you ASSume that both lesbians would be wearing wedding dresses?
I agree, they should both wear tuxedos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies